Happy Valley @ Elizabethton

coachh17

I am totally sure it is different for girls than for boys. On some points I agree and some of your points I disagree. I guess maybe we should agree that we have a very slight disagreement. I believe in tough running for conditioning after game situation and drills in practice. There is a fun way to do this running also. It was alway a competition thing when I played and coached. We all wanted to win the runs...... which ever type we were doing. And as you have girls and have coached girls, it is a boy thing for me. Bottom line is that we are both for what is going to 'right' Cyclone team and each coach has their own personal way of handling their practices. We are just different. Nothing wrong with that.

GO CYCLONES!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly right...no coach is the same just as no two people are the same. I was just in the mood to discuss my philosophy on the matter. The fact that we disagree a little is not a big deal. The fact that we don't disagree by a wide margin means, I think, that we're both somewhere close to the same path.

I no longer have a horse in the race, but I do have a comment on conditioning.

I agree conditioning should be game simulated. All cannot be but some can. I always ran what I called ladders (which down the court is one, down-back-down was a three and so on). All of these were timed and they always did them at the be ginning of practice and with a basketball. They would start with their weak hand going down and come back with their strong hand. We always went up to 5 and back down, however, they had to complete a free throw to begin going down if they missed we went to 7. I did this at the beginning of practice because I felt like during a game you are tired and must execute, so why not learn plays, etc... while tired to help concentration when you are winded.

The more full-court drills involving every player the better. Who wants to sit and watch the whole practice as the starters go over plays. Send the others to the other end to work with the other coaches.

I, also, cannot stand to see a player jog up and down the court. If you can't sprint come out and let someone else sprint for a minute or 2 and then go back in. You are doing nothing but hurting your team by loafing.

On Unaka's team, I could name names of those who go hard all of the time ask for a break, go back in and go hard again and those who stay on the court and conserve energy so they don't want to come out, but I won't on here. I have told these players to their face and they know who they are. But conditioning can win ballgames for you as well as a lack off conditioning can lose them. Check the stats of most players: Do they play well early in the 1st and 3rd quarters or do they perform well at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters? Film the games you can see it plain as day.

Now my soapbox is complete.

hey brutus and coachh17.......

is this a dumb idea?

how about a weak-hand summer league....two weeks....8 games....where every player must perform only with their weak hand: dribbling, shooting, layups...referees would be lenient on the walks...but if the strong hand was used to gain significant advantage, it would be a turnover.

would this help....or would it just be confusing and useless?

sometimes I get weird ideas like this, but i usually don't share them in public...so this is kind of scary lol

hey brutus and coachh17.......

is this a dumb idea?

how about a weak-hand summer league....two weeks....8 games....where every player must perform only with their weak hand: dribbling, shooting, layups...referees would be lenient on the walks...but if the strong hand was used to gain significant advantage, it would be a turnover.

would this help....or would it just be confusing and useless?

sometimes I get weird ideas like this, but i usually don't share them in public...so this is kind of scary lol

825509948[/snapback]

It would definitely help. Especially the younger players. However you would probably only have enough for one team. (Why fix something, if I only turn it over 4 times a game because I can't go the other way?)

I've played a 4 minute quarter of allowing my players no dribbles and neither team scored. They couldn't get open or couldn't pass over or around a defender without a dribble. It was pitiful.