When was the last time Warren Co...

Jbo44

went back to back years in men's basketball without a district win? It may not be as long as I think as Frank Wilson's teams might have done it just before Coach Doug Keil got there. But it is a shame. That town loves basketball and it's dissappointing know that we no longer are a threat to anyone. When Bobby Luna was there, Warren Co. was the team you did NOT want in the district tourny. Ask a loaded '95 or '96 Oakland team( i forgot which). Now things have become a laughing stock. But it all doesn't belong on the shoulders of Coach Turner. The high school has a problem with the "share athelets" rule although in their defense, I do believe they are working at it, atleast with the football team. The baseball team has been the biggest joke about this. In fact, they have cut players who were involved in basketball (good players who would've made a difference for that team atleast the last couple of years) because they would be getting in late to workouts and they just couldn't "afford all that lost time" PLEASE! like it matters that much. Every other high school does it, so what's the difference. If anyone else's high school is like this, please inform me. I want to know what happens across the state when good atheletes become priorities for coaches to keep in their sport and they start having trouble with the sharing of atheletes within their given schools. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TELL YA WHAT JBO, I DON'T REMEMBER AN 0 FOR 22 DISTRICT STREAK AT ANY TIME. THINGS DON'T LOOK GOOD.

I'M NOT REAL SURE WHAT KIDS YOU MIGHT BE TALKING ABOUT THAT AREN'T ALLOWED TO PLAY MULTIPLE SPORTS. ALL OF THE KIDS I CAN THINK OF THAT AREN'T PLAYING BUT HAVE THE TALENT CHOSE NOT TO BECAUSE OF ATTITUDE OR LAZINESS ISSUES.

HOWEVER, SPECIALIZATION OF ONE SPORT USUALLY HELPS. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, BY A KIDS JUNIOR YEAR, HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZE WHICH SPORT HAS THE BEST CHANCE OF HELPING HIM GET TO THE NEXT LEVEL. COMMON SENSE WILL TELL YOU THAT THE MORE TIME YOU SPEND WITH A PARTICULAR SPORT, THE BETTER YOU WILL GET AT IT. THIS MAY NOT BE THE MOST P.C. ANSWER, BUT I DO THINK THAT AT THIS LEVEL, A KID SHOULD SPECIALIZE IF HE WANTS TO PLAY THAT SPORT AT THE NEXT LEVEL.

Voiceof, I disagree with you. A teenager should not have to choose one sport over the other in order to be good. Why can't grown men who are coaches have enough intelligence to make adjustments in summer schedules, etc. Students who choose to participate in high school athletics are representing the school and community, not only the coach. Some students will choose to participate in only one sport, but many others would love to play two, three, or more. It angers me that a grown man (or woman) would ever influence a teen to quit another sport for the sport that he coaches. Any intelligent adult should be able to influence a teenager. I can't tell you how many students who quit a sport after middle school, or freshmen year have come to me as a senior and said they made a mistake by quitting. If you are going to tell a student that they will get a scholarship by playing only your sport, you should have to pay their way to college if you can't deliver it to them. After all, you are telling them that they will get a scholarship. Also, isn't part of the high school life to become well rounded? And we sometimes wonder why kids can't adjust when they get into the real world. If sharing athletes is a problem, the coaches are selfish. I still believe kids should play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back.

13, WELL, I DIDN'T SAY A KID WOULD BE WELL-ROUNDED. I DIDN'T SAY THE KID WOULDN'T MISS A SPORT. THERE ARE COMMUNITY LEAGUES, ETC. FOR KIDS TO PLAY SPORTS THEY WON'T PLAY AT THE NEXT LEVEL.

LET ME GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE. LET'S SAY A KID IS GOOD AT BASEBALL, HAS A REAL SHOT TO GET A SCHOLARSHIP. HE LOVES BASKETBALL AND SOCCER. IN THE FALL, HE'S PLAYING SOCCER, NOT LIFTING OR THROWING FOR BASEBALL. IN THE WINTER HE'S PLAYING FOOTBALL, NOT LIFTING OR THROWING FOR BASEBALL. IN THE SUMMER AND FALL, HE CAN'T PLAY WITH THE TRAVELLING TEAM TO IMPROVE HIS GAME. NOW, THIS PUTS PRESSURE AND STRAINS THE KID'S TIME, BUT YOU CAN'T ARGUE THAT CONCENTRATING ON ONE SPORT YEAR-ROUND WON'T MAKE A KID BETTER. THERE ARE SOME KIDS THAT ARE SUCH WONDERFUL ATHLETES THAT THEY CAN PLAY MULTIPLE SPORTS THROUGHOUT HIGH SCHOOL (ALLEN IVERSON). MOST CAN'T. MOST NEED THE HELP AND EXPOSURE OF PLAYING ON TRAVELLING TEAMS. AGAIN, THIS IS TO MAKE THE PLAYER THE BEST AT HIS BEST SPORT. THERE ARE LEAGUES FOR BASEBALL OR BASKETBALL THEY CAN PLAY IN THAT DON'T DRAIN TIME LIKE HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS.

ALSO, MOST COACHES KNOW THIS AND THEY FIGURE IF A KID SPECIALIZES IN HIS SPORT THE WHOLE YEAR, THEY WILL BE A BETTER PLAYER. IF THEY ALL DO, HE WILL HAVE A BETTER TEAM.

ONCE AGAIN, I'M NOT ATTEMPTING TO BE P.C., JUST BEING PRACTICAL. DON'T BE OFFENDED, JUST THINK ABOUT IT.

Voice, I wouldn't consider playing in the Warren Co. jaycee basketball league as a way of satisfying the competitive desire of an athlete and I sure wouldn't consider playing on my high school team as a "drain" on my time. What skills are involved in being an athlete? I would say that many abilities that define an athlete can be used in more than sport. Why should they choose to specialize? As far as weightlifting is concerned, are you saying that it isn't possible to lift during a season, or hit, or shoot a basketball. Again, coaches can drop their ego and allow athletes to step out of the norm. "One size fits all" programs are all over the place, but coaches can put the kids interest above their own. By the way, I know a lot more players who have quit other sports to specialize in one that DIDN'T get a scholarship, than I know who did get one. What about you?

Everybody seems to be missing the point when it comes to what the problem is or are in our hometown. This isnt about athlete sharing or who is or isnt playing. I have probably attended every Pioneer homegame for the big 3 sports for the last 25 years. Had a son fortunate enough to play for coach Luna. Have seen the highs which have been few and very far between over that time, but just when you think the ship cant take anymore water it springs another gusher. This problem goes back to one thing and one thing only. ATTITUDE. When was the last time you went to a pioneer game and really felt like they were going to win. In basketball it had to be with Keil. Football cant remember. Baseball has had that attitude in the past, but seems to be fading. Dont believe Turner has it to get the job done that being the attitude. Question is Will James Bennett be big enough to just come out and say he made a mistake in this hiring. I remember Bennett coaching at the high school level in football and believe his head coaching record will speak volumes. Our town has had only a handful of quality of people in the coaching profession with the attitude to succeed in Warren County. Luna had it. Keil had it. Barnes had it in football along with Newby. Paz had it. Walker had it along with Brown in baseball. Cant name the last one who had it in girls bball. What I am getting at is when you are here in WC you know the hand you are dealt when it comes to athletes..You can count the number of D-1 prospects in all sports that have come from here in the big 3 in the past 25 years on your hands. The talent is what it is. But guys like Luna and Keil( I mention them because this is a bball board) to what they had and made it work. Did they win state titles? No, but losing consistently wasnt an option. Seems these coaches here now look at there hand and dont see a winner so they fold. Sometimes you make the most of a hand. Bluff, run the bet up, make your hand better than what it truly is. All about attitude. Do you really think Luna or Keil would have lost 25 straight in the district. Funny how our own school board members sit and watch as we lose over and over again. They actually sit in the stands like it is normal to lose that many times in all the big 3. Warren County is right now what you would call DEAD MONEY. When they walk in you know they are not coming out with the pot. Just one mans opinion who hopes his grandson or granddaughter gets some one not afraid to go all in whatever it takes approach.

Voiceof, I disagree with you.  A teenager should not have to choose one sport over the other in order to be good.  Why can't grown men who are coaches have enough intelligence to make adjustments in summer schedules, etc.  Students who choose to participate in high school athletics are representing the school and community, not only the coach.  Some students will choose to participate in only one sport, but many others would love to play two, three, or more.  It angers me that a grown man (or woman) would ever influence a teen to quit another sport for the sport that he coaches.  Any intelligent adult should be able to influence a teenager.  I can't tell you how many students who quit a sport after middle school, or freshmen year have come to me as a senior and said they made a mistake by quitting.  If you are going to tell a student that they will get a scholarship by playing only your sport, you should have to pay their way to college if you can't deliver it to them.  After all, you are telling them that they will get a scholarship.    Also, isn't part of the high school life to become well rounded?  And we sometimes wonder why kids can't adjust when they get into the real world.  If sharing athletes is a problem, the coaches are selfish.  I still believe kids should play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back.

825539699[/snapback]

Voice, i totally agree with you. I must be sick, gotta check my temp!!! :huh:

I agree with most of these posts. But i want to go back to the issue of multi-sport playing and the allowing of it. voiceof, trust me, it's not all gravy. there are issues that need, MUST be dealt with or we will continue to be the whipping boys of the 'boro schools, etc. in basketball and baseball, and everybody's in football. I also want to say I disagree with you about "choosing" by your junior year. That's ridiculous. Now i know you can't compare everybody to special blue chip atheletes, but as I'm currently following football recruiting, I hear time and time again all of these super atheletes are having probs. getting visits in b/c of basketball games. What about some of these talented guys? Should they just call it quits in bball their junior years, letting their school down, because they are excelling in another sport. And let's be honest again. How many kids from Warren Co. should quit one sport b/c their coach has "promised" them a college 'ship if they stick to their sport. Last time I checked Warren Co. wasn't forking out the big time prospects. However, I do know that each graduating class usually has 7-10 guys who could play all 3 of the "big" sports, and make Warren Co. an annual contender. Yes, even competing with 'Boro schools. But it never fails that those 7-10 guys get "split" up by atleast their soph. year. 3 will go to bball, 5 to football, 2 or 3 more to baseball. Then you have some solid players on your team, but you have a noncompeting team so it's all for naught. Don't believe me? Look at middle school sports, esp. soccer, baseball, and esp. football. The last 3 years in football at WCMiddleS were something like 7-3, 8-2, 10-1, and something and 1 or 2 this past year. Now explain to me, why that does not translate to ATLEAST 4-6 and 5-5 seasons at teh varsity level. I mean they are still playin the same school's middle schools. Thoughts? Anyone?

TELL YA WHAT JBO, I DON'T REMEMBER AN 0 FOR 22 DISTRICT STREAK AT ANY TIME.  THINGS DON'T LOOK GOOD.

I'M NOT REAL SURE WHAT KIDS YOU MIGHT BE TALKING ABOUT THAT AREN'T ALLOWED TO PLAY MULTIPLE SPORTS.  ALL OF THE KIDS I CAN THINK OF THAT AREN'T PLAYING BUT HAVE THE TALENT CHOSE NOT TO BECAUSE OF ATTITUDE OR LAZINESS ISSUES.

HOWEVER, SPECIALIZATION OF ONE SPORT USUALLY HELPS.  IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, BY A KIDS JUNIOR YEAR, HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZE WHICH SPORT HAS THE BEST CHANCE OF HELPING HIM GET TO THE NEXT LEVEL.  COMMON SENSE WILL TELL YOU THAT THE MORE TIME YOU SPEND WITH A PARTICULAR SPORT, THE BETTER YOU WILL GET AT IT.  THIS MAY NOT BE THE MOST P.C. ANSWER, BUT I DO THINK THAT AT THIS LEVEL, A KID SHOULD SPECIALIZE IF HE WANTS TO PLAY THAT SPORT AT THE NEXT LEVEL.

825539597[/snapback]

White county snapped a 28 game losing streak in the district against us!