Bayor vs McCallie State Finals

matfan

Come on Rig, you can't be serious.  Everyone there paid their $6 to get in which includes the right to cheer wildly for your team and question every called made by the officials as long as it is done from the stands and doesn't include name calling or profanity.  Speaking as one of the few who has set on both sides, the red stalling pleaders don't hold a candle to the blue stalling pleaders.  Not that it matters, because its all done in fun and adds to the excitement of the event.

825555178[/snapback]

As you know, I don't have a foot in either camp but I have sat behind each team in the past and it just seamed to be a little over board this time. You know my mouth is as loud as anyone’s is but in my humble opinion, it wasn't just the stalling calls. I know it is a way to try to influence the match but it seamed to be every 20 seconds.

Just a neutral observation. If the ref is letting, that group get away with it more power to them. It just seamed to be extreme to me. I been just as obnoxious at times but there was something going on there or a new supporter leading the group.

I never witnessed it to that extent and I wasn’t the only one that noticed this. There were comments made all around the area that I was sitting in. I don’t think the Baylor program wants to be known for being obnoxious fans. Being State champions with class seams to be a better rep!

Congrats to the Baylor folks as State Champs!

Again I'm not talking about all the Baylor fans Just that one group! I'm glad you have each other's backs but I paid my $6 also and want to watch some great wrestling not the back's of a group of obnoxious fans.

Edited by rigger101

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you know, I don't have a foot in either camp but I have sat behind each team in the past and it just seamed to be a little over board this time.  You know my mouth is as loud as anyone’s is but in my humble opinion, it wasn't just the stalling calls.  I know it is a way to try to influence the match but it seamed to be every 20 seconds. 

Just a neutral observation.  If the ref is letting, that group get away with it more power to them.  It just seamed to be extreme to me.  I been just as obnoxious at times but there was something going on there or a new supporter leading the group.

I never witnessed it to that extent and I wasn’t the only one that noticed this.  There were comments made all around the area that I was sitting in.  I don’t think the Baylor program wants to be known for being obnoxious fans.  Being State champions with class seams to be a better rep!

Congrats to the Baylor folks as State Champs!

Again I'm not talking about all the Baylor fans Just that one group!  I'm glad you have each other's backs but I paid my $6 also and want to watch some great wrestling not the back's of a group of obnoxious fans.

825555214[/snapback]

I dont know what has gotten into those Baylor hooligans. As I looked around the gym I couldn't help but notice how quiet and well behaved all of the Franklin and Bradley fans were. There was, of course, the ususal polite clapping that you would expect at a wrestling match. Their was also the good natured banter between fans, always containg a healthy, jovial good natured tone. There was the occasional encouraging word given to their youngsters, always presented in a respectful and controlled manner. Never did I notice anyone question a call made by the referee.

Then, contrast that with those rowdy, obnoxious Baylor folks. They were even trying to cajole the the referee into making stalling calls when perhaps he didn't want to. They even stood up sometoimes when doing so! Did they not know that maybe someone behind them might have a partially blocked view? It was, after all, the state duals finals where they were wrestling their biggest rival. Shouldn't they show McCallie the respect that McCallie always shows them in every athletic event in which they compete? It was like they had never been to a wrestling match before. They should hang their head in shame.

:D:D

I dont know what has gotten into those Baylor hooligans. As I looked around the gym I couldn't help but notice how quiet and well behaved all of the Franklin and Bradley fans were. There was, of course, the ususal polite clapping that you would expect at a wrestling match. Their was also the good natured banter between fans, always containg a healthy, jovial good natured tone. There was the occasional encouraging word given to their youngsters, always presented in a respectful and controlled manner. Never did I notice anyone question a call made by the referee.

Then,  contrast that with those rowdy, obnoxious Baylor folks. They were even trying to cajole the the referee into making stalling calls when perhaps he didn't want to. They even stood up sometoimes when doing so! Did they not know that maybe someone behind them might have a partially blocked view? It was, after all, the state duals finals where they were wrestling their biggest rival. Shouldn't they show McCallie the respect that McCallie always shows them in every athletic event in which they compete? It was like they had never been to a wrestling match before. They should hang their head in shame.

825555329[/snapback]

:D Great reply. :lol:

I was sitting between both groups. Franklin and Baylor! What I saw on the bottom row at Franklin was kids not adults, but if that's what you want to compare that small segment of Baylor fans too, (KIDS) go ahead! Your call not mine.

I have followed Baylor wrestling since moving to Chattanooga in 1995. You have great fans and great kids. I just wanted to point out something that I had not seen before. I didn't get to see any of your other matches and maybe this one row of adult fans went overboard because it was McCallie.

It was just a neutral observation. I'm disappointed that you want to encourage it and defend it.

Your Fans cheered for my Child in D1 last year, so understand I think the world of the Baylor program and the folks on the mountain.

Good Luck!

Edited by rigger101

I paid my $6 also and want to watch some great wrestling not the back's of a group of obnoxious fans.

825555214[/snapback]

Rig - I was sitting several rows behind the group to which you refer. Now you are about the same height as myself and I didn't have my view blocked any if I stood up whenever they stood. Your now starting to sound like some of those blue hairs at UT football games - "sit down and shut up, you're blocking my view" whereas the players are begging the fans to stand up and cheer them on. Are you sure this isn't just latent frustration from the collective car trouble/go to the other entrance lady? You'd never make it as a Texas A&M fan where they stand up the entire game.

Rig - I was sitting several rows behind the group to which you refer.  Now you are about the same height as myself and I didn't have my view blocked any if I stood up whenever they stood.  Your starting to sound like some of those blue hairs at UT football games - "sit down and shut up, you're blocking my view" whereas the players are begging the fans to stand up and cheer them on.  Are you sure this isn't just latent frustration from the collective car trouble/go to the other entrance lady?  You'd never make it as a Texas A&M fan where they stand up the entire game.  If standing up and cheering for your team is wrong, then we all should start being very bad.  Franklin's, Bradley's, and Baylor's enthusiastic fans added greatly to the excitement factor from my viewpoint.  Just one guy's opinion.

Edited by walkenvol

152 McCallie 4 Smith majors Spitalny

Was this match a shock? 

I thought Spitalny was the #1 ranked 152 in DII.  Spitalny really looked strong but made 2 mistakes that cost him the match.  I hope to see Spitalny in Chattanooga on the top of the podium.  He's a great kid from a good family.

My only gripe was the adults on the front row from Baylor standing up and screaming every few minutes in every match about stalling or what ever.  Give it a break and let the ref call it.

825555156[/snapback]

I wouldn't call it a shock seeing as how Andrew Smith as a 2x State Champ. I have to give it to Spitalny though he has been having a great year and I believe that this match would usually be closer. Spitalny was the #1 ranked 152 until Smith moved up into the 152 weight class.

Rig - I was sitting several rows behind the group to which you refer.  Now you are about the same height as myself and I didn't have my view blocked any if I stood up whenever they stood.  Your starting to sound like some of those blue hairs at UT football games - "sit down and shut up, you're blocking my view" whereas the players are begging the fans to stand up and cheer them on.  Are you sure this isn't just latent frustration from the collective car trouble/go to the other entrance lady?  You'd never make it as a Texas A&M fan where they stand up the entire game.  If standing up and cheering for your team is wrong, then we all should start being very bad.  Franklin's, Bradley's, and Baylor's enthusiastic fans added greatly to the excitement factor from my viewpoint.  Just one guy's opinion.

825555471[/snapback]

Your killing me! ;)

Maybe it was my angle! My hair is turing gray! I thought I was taller :P It's the round belly that makes me look short. :o I don't mind the standing but the crying about every other call or non call was getting on my nerves. It goes with becoming a blue hair. ;)

That's funny I didn't see any of the A&M cadet's stand in the forth quarter of the Cotton Bowl. :lol: Whoop! Whoop! Hay, Walkenvol answer my email to you.

Edited by rigger101

I wouldn't call it a shock seeing as how Andrew Smith as a 2x State Champ.  I have to give it to Spitalny though he has been having a great year and I believe that this match would usually be closer.  Spitalny was the #1 ranked 152 until Smith moved up into the 152 weight class.

825555473[/snapback]

Smith has been 152 all year. He wrestled 152 in the Baylor Dual @ Baylor. Spitalny is a good wrestler but Smith has had a good year and perhaps just a little better.

What is Smiths weight. Phillip looked a lot bigger than Smith.

825555563[/snapback]

Andrew had been ranked in as low a weight class as 140 early in the year but I don't remember seeing any results with him at that weight. The first results I can remember seeing of him were at 152 at the Ryan invite where I think he beat Dean Smith of Webb.

Andrew had been ranked in as low a weight class as 140 early in the year but I don't remember seeing any results with him at that weight.  The first results I can remember seeing of him were at 152 at the Ryan invite where I think he beat Dean Smith of Webb.

825555595[/snapback]

The 152 DII looks like it will be a fun weight class to watch.