White Station Preparing for City Championship

realdeal02

Just when everyone thought it was safe to count the Spartans out after their second lost in Tennessee over the past three years, White Station enters Friday's City Championship game and next week's district tournament with a #1 seed. It's safe to say no one expected White Station to be 22-3 and ranked #3 in the state.

Jackson North Side, Fairley, and Ridgeway with loaded rosters, all find themselves trailing White Station in meaningless polls, but it's a testament to J.P. Prince and company. In a single elimination tournament like the Region and Sub-State anything can happen. So don't count out those underdog Spartans. Their star J.P. Prince happens to be a consensus national top 25 player but isn't regarded by the blind as the best player in his own class. Therefore, there's some unfinished business to be handled in AAA and count on the Spartans to complete it.

Just when everyone thought it was safe to count the Spartans out after their second lost in Tennessee over the past three years, White Station enters Friday's City Championship game and next week's district tournament with a #1 seed. It's safe to say no one expected White Station to be 22-3 and ranked #3 in the state.

Jackson North Side, Fairley, and Ridgeway with loaded rosters, all find themselves trailing White Station in meaningless polls, but it's a testament to J.P. Prince and company. In a single elimination tournament like the Region and Sub-State anything can happen. So don't count out those underdog Spartans. Their star J.P. Prince happens to be a consensus national top 25 player but isn't regarded by the blind as the best player in his own class. Therefore, there's some unfinished business to be handled in AAA and count on the Spartans to complete it.

825568995[/snapback]

RealDeal02, slow your roll...

White Station is a good squad. I commend them on a, surprisingly, successful season so far. I maintain, however, that they'll be LUCKY to make it out of Memphis, let alone GET to the State Tourneyment!

That's my story. I'm sticking to it.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, RealDeal. I'm just an UNBIASED basketball fan. I have seen W.S. play a number of times this year. I'm absolutely convinced that they're too one dimensional offensively to beat Fairley, or squeak by Ridgeway a 2nd time. Yet, odds are, that's EXACTLY what they're gonna need to do to make it to the Sub-State.

Sure, they've got JP Prince. That's part of the problem. W.S. relies too heavily on his scoring. Even the most diehard W.S. faithful should be willing to admit that fact. W.S. simply needs more consistent production from Bynum & Cunningham, particularly. I don't see that happening. Sorry.

Now, let me add this disclaimer: Should W.S. be lucky enough--yes, LUCKY--to make to the Sub-State, then they'll have a decent shot to make some noise in the 'Boro. Yet, I still don't expect them to win the AAA championship. Regardless, I'll be there pulling for WHICHEVER Memphis team that's fortunate enough to make it to the 'Boro.

As for this friday's AAA city championship game between Fairley and White Station...my money is on Fairley. Fairley simply has TOO MUCH BALANCE, for White Station. Fairley should win the game by 9 points...

By the way, RealDeal, what are your thoughts on Friday's AA city championship matchup between Raleigh Egypt and Mitchell? Smart money says Raleigh Egypt by 7 to 15 pts.

--TraderB

Raleight Egypt should beat Mitchell provided the normal balanced attack of the Pharoahs shows up. Mitchell seems to be a run-n-gun team that doesn't particularly want to play half-court basketball. White Station normally controls the tempo of basketball games, therefore they compensate for balanced scoring with ball control. I agree, that Bynum and Cunningham must continue score but Chris Williams made some big hook shots down the stretch against Ridgeway with his back to the basket. I can't predict the outcome of Friday's bragging rights game against Fairley because of Fairley's deliberate flex offense that's similar to White Station's.

Raleight Egypt should beat Mitchell provided the normal balanced attack of the Pharoahs shows up. Mitchell seems to be a run-n-gun team that doesn't particularly want to play half-court basketball. White Station normally controls the tempo of basketball games, therefore they compensate for balanced scoring with ball control. I agree, that Bynum and Cunningham must continue score but Chris Williams made some big hook shots down the stretch against Ridgeway with his back to the basket. I can't predict the outcome of Friday's bragging rights game against Fairley because of Fairley's deliberate flex offense that's similar to White Station's.

825569482[/snapback]

RealDeal02,

I completely forgot about Chris Wms, for White Station. He's actually more critical to White Station's offensive potency than (perimeter players) Bynum & Cunningham. He could be the big "X" factor this Friday vs. Fairley's Owens.

Wms is a wide-body--he takes up a WHOLE lot of space. He's got decent footwork and a really soft shot, but is slow as molassis! You're right--he did a great job vs. Ridgeway last week. He really kept Pierre Niles in check, mostly, and provide a much needed low-post presence.

If W.S. can get 10 pts per game out of Chris Wms, in the paint, W.S. will not only make it out of Memphis, they could very well win the AAA Championship. They'll be DIFFICULT to beat. I truely believe that if he were more agressive, he could easily average 12 to 14 pts per game. That would give W.S. a HUGE lift towards a more balanced, inside-outside attack.

I'm looking forward to an exciting evening of City Championship Basketball, this Friday.

--TraderB

I can't wait for this game. A lot of people are surprised that White Station is doing as well as they are, but I'm really not. J.P. is one of the most incredible High School basketball players i have ever seen. He can do things with the ball and i just stare in amazement. But he will have to do more than score to win Friday night. It really will require a TEAM effort to beat Fairley. Cunningham will have to score more. He's a great player, i just don't think he scores nearly enough. Big Chris will have to control the paint, and the defense has to be stiffling. Is it possible for them to win? yes, it will just take a lot to do it. As far as the 'boro goes, if they get out of Memphis I can see them winning. I think it might look like last year....

By the way, what time is the game Friday night??

The game is at 8 at the Mid South Colisuem. It could start later depending on if any of the games before go long.

District 15-AAA Tourney

#1Ridgeway vs. #8 Collierville

#4 Kirby vs. #5 Overton

#2 White Station vs. #7 Houston

#3 Wooddale vs. #6 Germantown

White Station lost a coin flip for number one seed. The reason the Spartans are in the city championship is because Ridgeway has lost more games in state than WSHS has.