Fan Support

taytay06

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how many times I've said this BUT I will say it again......

THERE ARE NO MORE LOYAL FANS than MT. JULIET FANS

I have followed this team all year and every game they played whether at home or on the road the fans turned out in force. There were several road games where MJ fans outnumbered the home team.

The support this community shows this school amazes me.

And every game they played in the Glass House the fans were there sometimes 2 hours before the game started.

I give Dyersburg fans alot of credit also. They had a big following.

Chester County also had good support.

To answer your question. YES the MJ student section is VERY supportive of the boys basketball team and football team as well.

I think there is undoubtably more passion in this communtiy for the girls basketball program. It obvious they have had great success in the past and continue on now.

I don't know if any one is aware of this stat but Mt. Juliet girls basketball has won more district championships than anyone in the state. This goes all the way back to the early 1940's when the team was in the district with Nashville schools.

The program actually started its growth in power in the mid 1970's when Larry Joe Inman was the coach. In 1976 MJ recorded its first victory over Lebanon in many many years with a last second shot to beat Lebanon by one point at Lebanon. To me this was the beginning of the Mt. Juliet girls program as it is today.

It was in 1977 when Shelia Johansen lead the Lady Bears to the State Championship with a dramatic win over the defending state champion Bradley Central who was the REAL POWER back in the 70's. MJ beat Bradley in the semis and then beat Everett the following nite for the title.

Johansen was only a junior and everything pointed to a repeat the following season. Ranked Number 1 the entire season going into the districts a unexpected tradey occurred when Johansen broke her leg and was out the rest of the season. Hence, the Lady Bears could get no further than the substate.

The following year Tommy Martin became the head coach and in 1981 a group of sophomores captured our hearts. Lorie Goss, Lisa Bingham, and Kim Satterfield started a glorious run by reaching the state tournament. In the semifinals they were given little if any chance of beating Memphis Mitchell. Mitchell had a front line of 6'5", 6'4", and 6'3" and with the talliest girl on the MJ team standing only 5'10" there was little hope. HOWEVER Mt. Juliet pulled one of the biggest UPSETS in the history of the State Tournament by knocking off Mitchell by 2 points and played for the championship the following nite. Not to make any excuses but the mental and physical strain showed as MJ lost to another team from Memphis that team being B. T. Washington. Washington was a physical and quick team and the Lady Bears lost.

There are more stories I can tell you but I think you get the idea that Mt. Juliet is a GIRLS BASKETBALL TOWN. The people do support the other teams but there's no question GIRLS BASKETBALL is VERY SPECIAL in the community.

Sorry to baffle on. Just giving my 2 cents worth.

Thank MtBears, that brought back alot of memories. Sheila Jo made one of the best players to ever come out of Mt. Juliet. The improvements she made between her freshmen and sophomore years were unbelievable. She became a legend in MJ BB and now we have Alysha Clark. I have enjoyed watching her grow into one of the best players in the history of MJHS. I think they need to retire her number. All the awards she collected in her years with MJ. The State Championship Trophy, MVP-State and the schools first ever Miss Basketball Award. Wouldn't you have like to seen a game with Alysha and Sheila Jo in her prime. OMG!!! :lol:

I have heard that its a good possiblity that MJ is going to retire Alysha's jersey.

You are aware Both Alysha Clark and Shelia Johansen both wore the number "22"

I think its safe to say Shelia was the best MJ had in the 6 on 6 days. And Alysha is the best MJ has had in the 5 on 5.

Did you hear about the greeting the team got when it got back to MJ saturday (sunday morning). They opened the gym and about 400 or so fans showed up to meet the team. It was around 2 am Sunday morning. That has to tell you how "LOYAL" MJ fans are. To come out at 2 am in the morning.... WOW !!!!

Monday the students filled the gym to greet the team and gave the team a thunderous oviation and a chorus of chats.... "Fryed to Perfection" Coach Fryer made an announcement to the students holding the GOLD BALL Trophy up saying "Here it is the prize we've waited 22 years for" and then he made the statement... "And we've not going to wait 22 years for the next one"

A parade is planned for Friday morning beginning at 10 am.

I heard a interesting rumor Monday. Don't know if this was just talk or a possiblity but the rumor was Tierney Jenkins was transfering to Mt. Juliet next year. If that was to happen can you say "REPEAT". Doubt it could be true but anything's possible.

I have heard that its a good possiblity that MJ is going to retire Alysha's jersey.

You are aware Both Alysha Clark and Shelia Johansen both wore the number  "22"

I think its safe to say Shelia was the best MJ had in the 6 on 6 days.  And Alysha is the best MJ has had in the 5 on 5.

Did you hear about the greeting the team got when it got back to MJ saturday (sunday morning).  They opened the gym and about 400 or so fans showed up to meet the team.  It was around 2 am Sunday morning.  That has to tell you how "LOYAL" MJ fans are.  To come out at 2 am in the morning....  WOW !!!!

Monday the students filled the gym to greet the team and gave the team a thunderous oviation and a chorus of chats....  "Fryed to Perfection"  Coach Fryer made an announcement to the students holding the GOLD BALL Trophy up saying "Here it is the prize we've waited 22 years for" and then he made the statement...  "And we've not going to wait 22 years for the next one" 

A parade is planned for Friday morning beginning at 10 am.

I heard a interesting rumor Monday.  Don't know if this was just talk or a possiblity but the rumor was Tierney Jenkins was transfering to Mt. Juliet next year.  If that was to happen can you say  "REPEAT".  Doubt it could be true but anything's possible.

825619304[/snapback]

Mt. Juliet should be very proud of these girls!!! I stopped by the gym on my way back Saturday night and it was awesome. But you know the first words that came out of Alysha's mouth when they gave her the mike was she thanked the fans and especially "Ma McCrary and The Bates" (for those of you who do not know know these are three people who have supported the basketball programs at MJHS for a long, long time, 40 years or more). And that was very nice of her. I have heard the Tierney Jenkins rumor and I am sure this would be a nightmare for Bud Brandon if it happen. We will see!!!!