Giles Co. 7, Page 6 in 8 inn.

PageMan

Page..........0..0..0....1..1..0....3..1.....6..6..1

Giles Co.....2..0..0....0..3..0....0..2.....7..9..2

WP - Reliever Daniel Haley who came in for Starter Richard Petty in the 7th

LP - Matt Bowliing who came in for Starter Jeremy Miller in the 5th

Giles scored 2 runs in the bottom of the 1st as Rob Laxson was hit by a pitch and scored on a triple by Lee Moss who then scored on a single by Richard Petty. Page scored 1 run in the top of the 4th as Lucas Wilmore walked and his courtesy runner, Sam Maxwell, scored on a single by Matt Bowling. Page tied the game at 2-2 in the top of the 5th as Chris Stephens walked and scored on a double by Kyle Caldwell. Giles answered with 3 runs in the bottom of the 5th as Moss doubled, Petty was intentionally walked, and Wes Rodgers reached base on a FC3 as Rob Laxson, who had a bunt single to start the inn., was thrown out on a force at the plate. With the bases loaded and 1 out, Carson Edgmon was hit by a pitch which scored Moss. Sam Edgmon then singled to score Petty's CR, Myles, and Rodgers' CR, Adams, as Giles led 5-2 after 5 inn. Page tied the game at 5 all in the top of the 7th as Miller walked, Stephens walked, and Cory Herald singled scoring Miller. At this point, Starter Richard Petty was relieved by Daniel Haley. Next Wilmore walked to load the bases and then Mike Hughes walked to score Stephens. Matt Bowling then singled scoring pinch runner Charles Hatcher, but CR Maxwell also tried to score on the play and was called out at the plate (he looked safe to me). In the bottom of the 7th, Giles had the bases loaded with 2 outs, but a fly ball to CF was caught by Miller to send the game to extra inn. In the top of the 8th, with 2 outs, Miller singled, stole 2nd, and scored on an infield error on a ball hit by Caldwell that ended up in LC field as Page led, 6-5. In the bottom of the 8th, Laxson hit a ball up the middle that Caldwell made a great play on, but Laxson was called safe on a close play at 1st (he looked out to me). Petty then singled and Rodgers walked to load the bases. C. Edgmon walked to score Laxson to tie the game at 6 all. The winning run was scored by Petty as Brian Kressenburg walked with the winning RBI.

It was a bitter defeat for the Patriots, but they will be back next year as this year's Juniors will be ready to take it all.

Congratulations to the Bobcats and good luck today against Fairview at 5:00 in Pulaski. I'll be there to see how it goes and have a report later tonight.

Edited by PageMan

Pageman, I really enjoy you posting our reviews and ideas. It seems to me that you're a little bitter about last nites game. It was a very good and close game, from what I understand, but a loss is a loss and a win is a win. Giles County delt with two bad calls the night before and never used it as an excuse to lose. Umpires are part of the game, learn to play with them. But over all I thank you for your information and predictions. Good luck to Giles County in the future! thumb

Thanks, Robo07, and welcome to the baseball forum. I was not really blaming the umpires for our loss - I just saw the close plays differently. No umpire is perfect any you're always going to have plays or ball/strike calls that don't go your way. You are right - you have to learn to live with it and play your best to overcome bad calls. In general, the umpiring has not been the best the season and all you can hope for is that you get a consistent strike zone for both teams and that the field umpires are in the correct position to make the correct call. I've seen several calls this season where the base umpire had a very poor angle involving sliding plays and therefore missed the call.