AAU Cross Boundary Players

AL kids are not allowed to play in the TN AAU Districts this year as many of you know. For AAU purposes, they are in the same District as TN and these kids have competed in the past. However, TN AAU has banned those kids from playing this year. Also, TN AAU says they are not cross boundary athletes b/c they are in the same District so they can't play virtue of that cross boundary rule.

Does anybody else think this is a joke? Seems like a ploy to keep the Central teams down since Huntsville is quite a bit closer to Mid Tn than even Memphis. Meanwhile, it is easy for Memphis teams to pick up cross boundary kids from Miss and Ark. Ky kids are also allowed. Am I missing something on this or isnt it just ridiculous.

AL kids are not allowed to play in the TN AAU Districts this year as many of you know.  For AAU purposes, they are in the same District as TN and these kids have competed in the past.  However, TN AAU has banned those kids from playing this year.  Also, TN AAU says they are not cross boundary athletes b/c they are in the same District so they can't play virtue of that cross boundary rule. 

Does anybody else think this is a joke?  Seems like a ploy to keep the Central teams down since Huntsville is quite a bit closer to Mid Tn than even Memphis.  Meanwhile, it is easy for Memphis teams to pick up cross boundary kids from Miss and Ark.  Ky kids are also allowed.  Am I missing something on this or isnt it just ridiculous.

825672747[/snapback]

Blackburn, you ask is this a joke? It is the most comical and ridiculous thing that I've heard of especially since the written rules state that this is acceptable. With AL being in the same district it seems it would be more acceptable for TN teams to have AL players. There have been some Middle TN teams who have complained about AL players playing in TN and helped prevent it, but all they just did was weaken Middle TN teams attempt to compete with Memphis in-state, because Memphis can pull from several other places. YOMCA, I understand have a 6'9" player and another 6'8" from MS.

Blackburn, you ask is this a joke?  It is the most comical and ridiculous thing that I've heard of especially since the written rules state that this is acceptable.  With AL being in the same district it seems it would be more acceptable for TN teams to have AL players.  There have been some Middle TN teams who have complained about AL  players playing in TN and helped prevent it, but all they just did was weaken Middle TN teams attempt to compete with Memphis in-state, because Memphis can pull from several other places.  YOMCA, I understand have a 6'9" player and another 6'8" from MS.

825672975[/snapback]

We are on the same page. Even more absurd is the fact certain kids were told they could play and drove up from AL only to find out at the gym door that a letter was sent that day banning them from playing. Couple that with the fact that the AL substate had already taken place so they couldnt play there either. Doesnt really seem like the best interests of the kids were at stake in this instance. Guess it would have been too logical just to make the AL kids cross-boundary this year rather than banning them completely at the last minute. Dont you get the feeling that some major AAU programs had influence here b/c they were losing control over the midstate players?

• 2 weeks later...