Pigeon Forge vs. Unicoi Co.

SCARfan1624

My team has played against both of these teams this year and both are very good 2A teams.  I think Pigeon Forge has the upper hand in this game from what I've seen this year.  They both can swing the sticks, but if Cannon is on the mound for PF, it will be tough for Unicoi to pull this one out.

825677437[/snapback]

Guys, the game was played WED. evening. PF, as I stated earlier, won the contest 13-8.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think Cannon pitched. He pitched Monday vs. Happy Valley in a 5-2 win. I don't think Unicoi would have posted 8 runs on him. Unicoi, most likely, pitched Peterson, who is descent, but obviously not enough.

I think the next match-up is Seymour vs. Pigeon Forge and Cannon should be available for this one.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked that cracker jack box of a field in Unicoi when we had to travel their...maybe that's just because I was an outfielder that took a reflected line drive off of the woodblocks at the base of the fence at the head...if you ask me...that's dangerous...but both teams get to hit their, so it's not THAT big of an advantage...except knowing how to play it off of the Lincoln Logs in the outfield...and of course the fans help the Blue Devils out...but that's why it's called "Home Field Advantage"...

Must have been a good one but still unicoi is all set up in everything. Ever since baxter come back they have been picked to win everything. Picked to do everything. What he went to the state and won it with a GREAT team. Hes not on the field doing it and from what i seen this year he would argue with a stump so im pretty sure he had somewhat of a part on the outcome of the south green game. Thats pathetic putting a team out of a year because it got to dark and your lights went out. Thats a wimp and a sorry loser to any team that does that. Yea im sure it feels good to win and keep going but to me knowing that thats how we done it thats crap. I think baxter and unicoi should have enough guts to have a say so and go into the next day and play the 6th and 7th. Also unicois fans help them. Thats a joke they set out in center field cuss throw stuff and whatever else you can think of. Thats not a fan. A fan is someone who yells for their team and has competitiveness and yells you kno stuff like drop it not im going to shoot you with my twelve guage if you dont drop that ball. Unicoi is done now they will not be able to handle loudon or whoever because unfortunately the lights are not going to go out and loudons outfielders are not going to have to worry about bullets flying over their heads. Ill tip my hat to the team but everyone else that has to do with erwin baseball i turn my head. Thats pathetic!!!

Must have been a good one but still unicoi is all set up in everything.  Ever since baxter come back they have been picked to win everything.  Picked to do everything.  What he went to the state and won it with a GREAT team.  Hes not on the field doing it and from what i seen this year he would argue with a stump so im pretty sure he had somewhat of a part on the outcome of the south green game.  Thats pathetic putting a team out of a year because it got to dark and your lights went out.  Thats a wimp and a sorry loser to any team that does that.  Yea im sure it feels good to win and keep going but to me knowing that thats how we done it thats crap.  I think baxter and unicoi should have enough guts to have a say so and go into the next day and play the 6th and 7th.  Also unicois fans help them.  Thats a joke they set out in center field cuss throw stuff and whatever else you can think of.  Thats not a fan.  A fan is someone who yells for their team and has competitiveness and yells you kno stuff like drop it not im going to shoot you with my twelve guage if you dont drop that ball.  Unicoi is done now they will not be able to handle loudon or whoever because unfortunately the lights are not going to go out and loudons outfielders are not going to have to worry about bullets flying over their heads.  Ill tip my hat to the team but everyone else that has to do with erwin baseball i turn my head.  Thats pathetic!!!

825677632[/snapback]

Can't you read. The call to end the game came out of TSSAA in Hermitage, TN. Baxter DID NOT make the call to end the game or not to finish it on Tuesday. DUHHHH..... I do agree that it was a pathetic thing to do to SG, but again, that was Gene Maness of TSSAA. As far as harrassment of players..... I don't doubt that they were being yelled at, but I've seen that on most fields I have coached and called on. I didn't see anything thrown at any player at any time during the game. Stay at home if you can't take a little 'heat' during a game.

http://www.greene.xtn.net/index.php?templa...s&newsid=121538

Here's the article from South Greene's newspaper. See if you can make it through the entire thing, and you'll see that you haters are stating what you want to believe rather than what really is. Here's part of the article...

Trailing 1-0 after five innings, the Rebs rallied with two away in the top of the six to tie the game against host Unicoi County. Problems with the lights, which were known well in advance of it becoming too dark to continue, forced the game to be suspended in the middle of the sixth.

After nearly a two-hour delay, it was evident the lights couldn’t be fixed. The ruling was made that the score revert back to the last completed inning and that the game was official, meaning Unicoi County gets credit for a 1-0 win and earns a berth in the region final.

Home plate umpire Arnaze Cantrell placed calls to Gene Menees, assistant executive director of the TSSAA, and Menees said a winner had to be determined Monday night.

“It’s the rule the TSSAA makes, and it’s been in the books at least 10 years,” Cantrell said. “If it was 1-1 in the fifth inning, and we couldn’t revert back, it would be a suspended game. We’d come back and pick it up, but the state won’t let us, even though the coaches agree to it. I don’t think it’s exactly fair. I’m not saying what TSSAA says is fair or what, but that’s what we have to go with. They have to have a winner tonight unless it’s rained out.”

It’s unclear why a winner had to be determined Monday night. The region finals aren’t until Wednesday.

South Greene coach Frank Rodgers, who understandably didn’t have anything to say after the game, said during the delay the Rebels would stay as long as necessary to complete the game or come back today.

Unicoi County coach Charlie Baxter said he was willing to pick the game up in the middle of the sixth with the score tied.

“Sure. Coach Rodgers and I had already talked about that, and that’s what I thought we would do,” Baxter said. “It’s tournament play, and I always thought you finished it. That’s what he thought. The umpire called TSSAA, and they said five innings is a complete game. It’s not a good situation for anybody.”

http://www.greene.xtn.net/index.php?templa...s&newsid=121538

Here's the article from South Greene's newspaper.  See if you can make it through the entire thing, and you'll see that you haters are stating what you want to believe rather than what really is.  Here's part of the article...

Trailing 1-0 after five innings, the Rebs rallied with two away in the top of the six to tie the game against host Unicoi County. Problems with the lights, which were known well in advance of it becoming too dark to continue, forced the game to be suspended in the middle of the sixth.

After nearly a two-hour delay, it was evident the lights couldn’t be fixed. The ruling was made that the score revert back to the last completed inning and that the game was official, meaning Unicoi County gets credit for a 1-0 win and earns a berth in the region final.

Home plate umpire Arnaze Cantrell placed calls to Gene Menees, assistant executive director of the TSSAA, and Menees said a winner had to be determined Monday night.

“It’s the rule the TSSAA makes, and it’s been in the books at least 10 years,” Cantrell said. “If it was 1-1 in the fifth inning, and we couldn’t revert back, it would be a suspended game. We’d come back and pick it up, but the state won’t let us, even though the coaches agree to it. I don’t think it’s exactly fair. I’m not saying what TSSAA says is fair or what, but that’s what we have to go with. They have to have a winner tonight unless it’s rained out.”

It’s unclear why a winner had to be determined Monday night. The region finals aren’t until Wednesday.

South Greene coach Frank Rodgers, who understandably didn’t have anything to say after the game, said during the delay the Rebels would stay as long as necessary to complete the game or come back today.

Unicoi County coach Charlie Baxter said he was willing to pick the game up in the middle of the sixth with the score tied.

“Sure. Coach Rodgers and I had already talked about that, and that’s what I thought we would do,” Baxter said. “It’s tournament play, and I always thought you finished it. That’s what he thought. The umpire called TSSAA, and they said five innings is a complete game. It’s not a good situation for anybody.”

825678093[/snapback]

I am just a baseball fan and darn sure didn't like the ruling because it ended a season for a team without a just reason. As far as the call at home concerning the kid who missed the home plate on the wild pitch........ he did miss the base coming home, but the home plate ump was with the catcher retrieving the ball, not up the third base line as stated in the paper. These umps were out of position all night, but the fact is, he did miss the plate.

The tragedy in this situation is not the plate, the lights or anything else, but Mr. Maness sitting back and ruling the game be reverted to the last completed inning. I don't know how many seniors SG has, but that ruling was just not right for them, especially. No way to end thier careers in high school. No master plan by Unicoi, just a series of unfortunate events capped by a very stupid ruling by a guy in central Tennessee. What an embarassment to the TSSAA. I am stunned, still yet, by the series of events which gave the Blue Devils the game. Kinda wished I had never attended the game.

To this day, I believe that SG had gotten Whitson's number and would have beaten Unicoi. Just a tragedy that will never be forgotten. At the same time, I know that Charlie Baxter was not proud of that win, but as any coach, you take a win anytime you can get it. I guess it was Christmas time in Unicoi County.

To South Greene, hold your heads high. You were doing what it takes to win big games. Nothing to be ashamed of. That honor goes to TSSAA.

To Unicoi, hold your heads high also. You were given a gift from above.

Pete, just one question.In a field as short as that how did a ball get over your head.Ball hit into gap you won't get their fast enough to get a deflection into face. No ball should be hit over your headin that crackerjack box.You either got burnt or was snoozing to get hit. And how can you call talk about any field with the pasture Erwin had to play in at your home field?

825677769[/snapback]

I was fast enough to get there in time to get the deflection. Anyone that ever got to see me play would know that was the one thing that I had over everyone else. I never had the strongest arm or the best bat, but I could run fast and I busted it 110-mph wherever I went. Also, the ball did not hit me in the face, somehow it found it's way into my glove (but I can't take the credit for that one), it was kind of like a matrix-type thing. Also, what are you talking about a pasture field? Where do you think I play high school ball at? (Also, I would like to apologize to my English teachers for repeatedly spelling "their" when it should have been "there" in previous posts.)

Rbb1, smokeymtnbum, and illpete23 have officially been added to the stupid category.

825678087[/snapback]

Please elaborate on why you have placed me in the "stupid category"...

Good grief they've done it again! I heard that Alcoa scored to tie Unicoi County's softball team tonight in the last inning....only to have the umpires say that the batter was out for interference and then sprint off of the field. This is unreal!! Is the place just a den of cheaters, or what gives?

I was fast enough to get there in time to get the deflection.  Anyone that ever got to see me play would know that was the one thing that I had over everyone else.  I never had the strongest arm or the best bat, but I could run fast and I busted it 110-mph wherever I went.  Also, the ball did not hit me in the face, somehow it found it's way into my glove (but I can't take the credit for that one), it was kind of like a matrix-type thing.  Also, what are you talking about a pasture field?  Where do you think I play high school ball at?  (Also, I would like to apologize to my English teachers for repeatedly spelling "their" when it should have been "there" in previous posts.)

Please elaborate on why you have placed me in the "stupid category"...

825678243[/snapback]

Baseball: call made by TSSAA

Softball: based upon the positioning of the umpires, the home plate umpire should have made the call (which they did)...as for the call, I was not there and did not see it...

825678305[/snapback]

pete you are a class act can't wait until your coaching.