AAU Nationals

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ptguard12 have you got any info.??

825694274[/snapback]

The Motor City Suns actually have 2 teams in their organization at this age group. Both of them made the Michigan State Tournament, with the Suns #1 team only beating the Suns #2 team in the semifinals by 2 points. The Suns team that you are going to play is their #1 team, but I didn't find that they really blew any teams away at their state tournament. They won the Championship game by 9 over a team that decided not to attend Nationals. Therefore the Suns #2 team also had a chance to pick up that bid, but decided against it. I have a feeling that the Suns #1 team probably just picked up some of the better players from the Suns #2 team. Both teams are fairly even in talent and had they not had to meet each other in the semifinals, they probably would have been #1 and #2 at state. From what I can find out about them (both teams), they both seem to be very strong defensive teams. They each hold their opponents to usually 25 or less points a game and have played up against 11U's in a lot of tournaments.

San Gabriel Valley is the South Pacific Association Champions. They are a pretty decent sized team. Looks like they've got 3 players who are at least 5'7" and one is probably pushing 5'10" or taller (It's kind of hard to tell from a picture). Historically, this is an organization who relies on their quick guard play, as do most teams from that region. Let there be no mistake, if you don't get back on defense, they will kill you in the open floor on the fastbreak.

As for the GBL Lady Rebels, I really don't know that much about them. This association tends to produce some of the best teams in the country in the younger divisions year after year so there is no doubt that they are tough.

Edited by ptguard12

Thanks! It appears that we'll have to earn anything we get which is the way it should be. I fly out first thing in the morning. Thanks again for your help!

825694332[/snapback]

Good luck coach. From the look of the 10u, 11u, and 12u pools and early bracket play, it looks like a Memphis/California showdown at nationals. We'll probably be comparing quick guard stories. Best of luck to you and the girls....

ptguard,

bballmom was right the Raiders did pick up 3-kids from the 10U Top Guns, 2 of which are 3-2 vs. the FCA group and those losses were at a time when the team was not playing to their potential. Take nothing from the Eagles, they are good, but the Top Guns underacheived this year for the talent they had. We will have to wait until the tournament to see if they have blended well with the group already there. They have the potential to be very good if a few things fall into place. I would be interested in getting your insight on the other teams in their pool! The Extreme is a very talented team good speed, good shooters, and should make some noise down in Florida! Thanks for your insight into all the age groups and good luck to all of the TN teams.

825693705[/snapback]

I saw the Top Guns twice this year and both times I saw them, I wasn't all that impressed. There was some good players on that team, however, so any additions to the Raiders I'm sure will help them out. As for the teams in your pool:

The Missouri Valley Eclipse were the Missouri Valley Association Champions and Branson, Missouri, Super Regional Champions. Both times they defeated the Kansas Belles in the finals, who are one of the most decorated organizations in the country at AAU. This Eclipse finished 4th in the Nation last year in this age group. Their coach is one of the stronger ones in their organization as he has already won a National Championship, placed Runner-Up once, 5 Elite Eight teams, and 10+ Sweet Sixteen teams. I would expect them to be a pretty big team with some extremely strong athletes. Each year, this organization pulls the very best talent that Kansas City has to offer, so they are probably one of the best teams at Nationals this year.

As for the other two teams, Maryland Team Excel and Jersey Shore Wildcats, I really don't know that much about them. Team Excel has some strong teams in older age groups and they are ususally a very tough organization to deal with. They do come from the Potomac Valley Association which traditionally qualifies teams that do very well at Nationals so I would expect them to be pretty tough. I believe the Jersey Shore Wildcats are the New Jersey State Champions, but I am not 100% on that. I know that they are an organization that has both boys and girls teams becuase I know that some of their boys teams have had success at AAU Nationals in the past, but I don't really know anything about the girls.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.