Karns Football

crystal5puppy

I was surprised to read on another thread that Karns has only 45 players out for Varsity Football. I had heard earlier that numbers were way up following last years team qualifying for the playoffs. There seemed to be some momentum building for the program, and with the issues of some of the teams this year (especially Jeff County), the goal of the playoffs for the second straight year is obtainable.

Anyone close to the program able to update us on what the team looks like going into this season. How about scrimmages planned?

Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to read on another thread that Karns has only 45 players out for Varsity Football. I had heard earlier that numbers were way up following last years team qualifying for the playoffs. There seemed to be some momentum building for the program, and with the issues of some of the teams this year (especially Jeff County), the goal of the playoffs for the second straight year is obtainable.

Anyone close to the program able to update us on what the team looks like going into this season. How about scrimmages planned?

Thanks.

825706928[/snapback]

I know they lost Derron Logan to CAK

The number of around 45 was from workouts of the upperclass (Soph, Jr and Sr) with another 10-15 in Spring sports. Any additional numbers will come from incoming freshmen. Not all is related to football, many students only choose to play one sport today, that is sad. But for a school of around 1900 projected students this year, the numbers are not good.

Another is Karns and the wishbone - No "Fun & Gun" in the bone!

The number of around 45 was from workouts of the upperclass (Soph, Jr and Sr) with another 10-15 in Spring sports. Any additional numbers will come from incoming freshmen. Not all is related to football, many students only choose to play one sport today, that is sad. But for a school of around 1900 projected students this year, the numbers are not good.

Another is Karns and the wishbone - No "Fun & Gun" in the bone!

825706935[/snapback]

I think Karns went to the wishbone out of necessity, and quite frankly, it has worked for them the last 2 years. The team did not have anyone capable of dropping back and passing the ball with any consistency, and they had Tony Elder and Jason Ewing in the backfield, and a very good center in Dane Dienethal (Ewing and Dienethal signed with Cumberland college in Williamsburg, another option team).

If you don't have depth, the wishbone can make up for it when executed the right way.

I just hope the numbers don't dwindle and Karns can start to build off the progress they have made in the last 2 years.