WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game matters not for Ravenwood in the big scheme of things. Looming ahead is a HUGE battle with Franklin in Week 2. Should the Raptors get down early, I wouldn't look for them to battle too hard in this one. There's some pride invovled and stuff but this game just isn't that important. The only thing it would be good for is to start the season off right. I'd rather not see RHS lose to avoid the bounce-back factor against us in Week 2, so I hope the Raptors win in a physical, hard-fought battle.

This game matters not for Ravenwood in the big scheme of things. Looming ahead is a HUGE battle with Franklin in Week 2. Should the Raptors get down early, I wouldn't look for them to battle too hard in this one. There's some pride invovled and stuff but this game just isn't that important. The only thing it would be good for is to start the season off right. I'd rather not see RHS lose to avoid the bounce-back factor against us in Week 2, so I hope the Raptors win in a physical, hard-fought battle.

825723004[/snapback]

You're kidding, right?

No, I'm not. It means about as much as the contest between Franklin and Father Ryan later on in the season. It's a private vs public battle, and so that makes it appealing plus the fact that the two schools are so close. Beyond that (and TC's previous enrollment at BA) there's nothing to this game. If RHS vs FHS wasn't next week, this game would look a little bit more special to me, but that game is much more important.

No, I'm not. It means about as much as the contest between Franklin and Father Ryan later on in the season. It's a private vs public battle, and so that makes it appealing plus the fact that the two schools are so close. Beyond that (and TC's previous enrollment at BA) there's nothing to this game. If RHS vs FHS wasn't next week, this game would look a little bit more special to me, but that game is much more important.

825723034[/snapback]

Oh, I see...you're saying it means not much to you. I can understand that. I'm sure if Ravenwood wins, they will yawn and simply quietly shake hands.

Rebel, you're a superb poster and an even better friend, but you missed this one.

As far as standings are concerned, this game isn't crucial for Ravenwood. But some other aspects make it pretty important.

For Ravenwood, this game is...

1)The first game of the season. You, of all people, know how beneficial it can be for a team to open with a big win (e.g. Franklin's 56-8 drubbing of LCHS).

2)Its first against Brentwood Academy, the winningest team in the county and the team with the most gold balls (and silver...) in Tennessee.

3)The first opportunity to validate the program's rise to success against a non-region team.

4)A showdown against a team from the same town. There are only 3 high schools in Brentwood. These guys know each other. You allude to T.C. Jennings having attended BA. I'm sure he's not the only player who has a connection to the other team.

5)Its first game against a DII-AAA team.

6)For bragging rights. BA hasn't lost to a Williamson County team since 1972. Wouldn't these guys love to be the ones to end that streak?

These reasons are as obvious to you as they are to me. You're not ignoring them; you're simply focusing on the statistical, classificational (it's a word now) implications of the game. You and I both know there's a lot more to it than that.

To your reason number one- yes, I agree. 100%.

To your reason number two (and for that matter 4, 5, and 6)- okay, sure. But yeah, I'm looking at the classificational implications. They won't gain an upper leg on Region 6 just because they beat (or lose a lower leg if they lose to) Brentwood Academy. You know what I think about the "mystique" of the Super 7 + 1 so it wouldn't really impress me all that much just because of the fact that BA is in the Super 7 + 1. But there's no need to get into that... I'm sure we'll do that in December when the "best team in the state" talk gets underway.

To your reason number three- I'm going to disagree. They validated themselves lsat year by defeating Gallatin at Gallatin in the playoffs. If they hadn't done that, I doubt so many would be proclaiming the preseason favorites in the region.

Im looking for BA to pull off the win... with talented corners to shut down the ravenwood spread offense.... TC Jennings will get pressure sent his way... BA has switched defenses this year from the 50 to the 4-3... Tyree and Ryan will bring a solid running attack and along with Tremayne Townsend playing some running back but also being a shutdown corner... Ravenwood defense better show up or this will be a big win for BA...

To your reason number one- yes, I agree. 100%.

To your reason number two (and for that matter 4, 5, and 6)- okay, sure. But yeah, I'm looking at the classificational implications. They won't gain an upper leg on Region 6 just because they beat (or lose a lower leg if they lose to) <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a>. You know what I think about the "mystique" of the Super 7 + 1 so it wouldn't really impress me all that much just because of the fact that BA is in the Super 7 + 1. But there's no need to get into that... I'm sure we'll do that in December when the "best team in the state" talk gets underway.

To your reason number three- I'm going to disagree. They validated themselves lsat year by defeating Gallatin at Gallatin in the playoffs. If they hadn't done that, I doubt so many would be proclaiming the preseason favorites in the region.

825723106[/snapback]

Sounds to me like we're agreeing to agree. We're getting old, Reb...we're too nice and impartial. Sophomore year of high school was a long time ago.

Good point on the Gallatin game. Overlooked that one. Ok, so it's Ravenwood's SECOND chance to validate themselves against a non-region team. thumb

GO EAGLES! Go Rebels (gasp!)