Cleveland 23- Bradley 0

BackyardLegend

The Ol' Legend went to the annual clash between the Raiders and the Bears hoping to just watch a lil' pigskin, but I was called to duty in harms way. I was summoned to duty on the chain gang. It's not exactly what I had planned, but I either wanted to help out or I just couldn't say no. It may be tomorrow before I figure that part out.

It was a perfect setting. A great atmosphere for football. Both school's fan base came out in full force. It was good to see that aspect again. I haven't seen a Bradley-Cleveland crowd that large in a long time. I'd be interested in hearing the attendance on this one.

The game itself seemed very wierd. The final score obviously sounded one sided, but I thought Bradley outplayed Cleveland most of the night. Offensively, Bradley moved the ball all night. They either shot themselves in the foot or Cleveland's defense stepped up to the challenge all night long. Time of Posession and total yards had to be in Bradley's favor. The only problem with that is...like the old saying goes "Stats are for Losers". Tonight though...Bradley should have left Raider field with their heads held high. They played a great game. John Allen had a great game plan and for the most part executed it pretty well. I lot of what happened to Bradley tonight was mental. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like John Allen is doing a great job of teaching X's and O's and now he just needs to teach them how to win. It takes 48 minutes of Mental toughness.Tonight the Bears could've very easily won this game, but they had a couple mental lapses that cost them. It was almost like they didn't know how to win.. A 14 game losing streak will do that to any program. I almost think that if the Bradley kids could get a break and win one game....Then they could start to turn the corner in rebuilding this program.

Cleveland's offense never seemed to get on track until the fourth quarter. I think a lot of their problems was the fact that it was their first game, they have a new offense, and finally.. Bradley played pretty good defense. I want to give props where needed. Montez Davis fumbled a punt giving Bradley great field position late in the third quarter with the score only 10-0. Bradley proceeded to drive the ball inside the Raider 10. Last year, Montez would've dropped his head, but this year he stepped up and intercepted a pass on the last play of the third quarter to thwart a Bear drive. If Bradley scores a touchdown on that drive, then I beleive they could've "shocked the Raider Nation" and won that game. Then Preston Scoggins executed a "Peytonesque" play action pass and hit Davis for wide open long bomb. That play seemed to take the air out of the Bears. Bradley then fumbled the ensuing kickoff and Jamaar Francis scored on a dive play later on that drive. That whole scenario only took approximately 2 and half minutes.

Preston Scoggins showed a lot of heart. Will Plummer played hard and made a big play with a punt return. Tucker Tipton also shined for the Raiders. I thought the running back for Bradley (Heffington) ran hard all night long. His effort exemplified what it takes to win games like Bradley-Cleveland.

Congratulations to Danny Wilson and his staff for a big win. When things didn't seem to go the Raiders way, Coach Wilson and his staff didn't panic. They made some good adjustments and pulled it out. Also, hats off to John Allen and his staff. Both coaching staffs did a great job and should be commended.

In closing, It was great to see Coach Allen gathering up both teams to talk and pray. He congratulated the Raiders and told both teams that as big as this game was...they have nothing without Jesus Christ. Great Message. Then he told the Raiders that he was pulling for them to win the rest of their games. The cheerleaders from both schools were hugging and the players were shaking hands and showing good sportsmanship. It was good to see that in a game of that magnitude. Thanks to the Raiders and Bears for setting such great examples.

Good luck to both teams and until next time...The Backyard Legend is out of here.