Anderson Co & Lafayette finally meet in finals

KYdigsTN

It was great having Anderson at our tournament again here in Lexington. They always do very well, but this is the first year Lafayette and Anderson Co have met in the finals. Lafayette won 25-18, 25-17 to win it's third tournament in a row. Anderson finished runnerup, finished 4-1 and beat a solid Louisville Ballard team that is currently ranked #25 in KY in the semi-finals. Both teams played great volleyball the entire tournament, but I think "The Ghost" would agree the best team won today. Anderson has some great young players and one very strong OH, but they weren't able to get into their offense as often as they needed to due to some serve receive issues and our girls put up a very strong attack. They caught us clicking on all cylinders like Centennial did last week, but I saw enough of them to know they will be tough to beat in State in their division.

Lafayette is off to their very best start ever at 18-2 and three tournament championships in a row. They moved up to #18 in the last poll, but should move up a little after the last two weekend championships. It's off to NKY for the Cake Classic next weekend. That will definately be a challenge. Hopefully they stay on a roll! :thumb:

No offense to TGLJ, but I must say the Ghost and myself are probably the best line judges in their respective states! :)

Edited by KYdigsTN

No offense to TGLJ, but I must say the Ghost and myself are probably the best line judges in their respective states!  :thumb:

825746095[/snapback]

I believe in his age, Digs' memory is failing! It's been well over a year since you've seen me work in that manner. Then again, I've never seen Ghost in action. Perhaps, at a later time, I'll render an opinion. You do quite a fine job down on the corner, Digs.

I believe in his age, Digs' memory is failing! It's been well over a year since you've seen me work in that manner. Then again, I've never seen Ghost in action. Perhaps, at a later time, I'll render an opinion. You do quite a fine job down on the corner, Digs.

825746138[/snapback]

I was just messing with you TGLJ. :thumb:

Ghost had a few very close line calls in our match. Most went in favor of Anderson, but there was no doubt in my mind he made the right call every time. The ball goes down and the call made decisively. A touch is seen and heard and a signal made instantly. A peave of mine is allowing JV or freshmen girls on the line in big matches. I just believe a parent should do it, but even then that parent needs to practice on some lesser matches before doing a championship or significant match or a match where the speed will be intense with two good teams. Parents will usually pay attention, but even parents need to understand the rules and I've seen soooooo many that dont.

Last weekend in the Page Classic coach Berry of BGA actually requested line judge replacments in a match involving BGA and Lafayette. There were two parents from another team calling lines in that match, but one was missing a bunch of calls. In mid match I was called out of the stands to do one line to represent Lafayette and a BGA parent called to represent BGA. I've never seen that happen before, but it was the right thing to do.

Edited by KYdigsTN

The ball goes down and the call made decisively. A touch is seen and heard and a signal made instantly. A peave of mine is allowing JV or freshmen girls on the line in big matches. I just believe a parent should do it, but even then that parent needs to practice on some lesser matches before doing a championship or significant match or a match where the speed will be intense with two good teams. Parents will usually pay attention, but even parents need to understand the rules and I've seen soooooo many that dont.

825746355[/snapback]

As Ahnold would say, "I want to pamp you ahp!" It's sounds like Ghost passed LJ school with flying colors! Those are characteristics of a very good line judge- something an officiating friend and I said yesterday are simply hard to find.

I agree, digs. In a big match, or a match that you know will be very competitive, you need trained and competent people to work the corner. Sorry, but JV and freshmen girls don't cut it. I won't allow them to do varsity matches (unless I know the match won't be any count AND there's not many other people available.... but that hasn't happened yet). If it was a combination of any of: Brentwood, Siegel, Independence, Franklin, Collierville, East Ridge, Father Ryan, Harpeth Hall, GPS, etc... and a bunch more I can't think of right now... then I need the best folks possible.

P.S. I was mentally drained yesterday, digs. I think I knew what you were saying. :unsure:

Just got home - We did enyoy ourselves again - what a great facility to host this, or any tournament. I would agree that Lafayette was the better team on Saturday as we just couldn't maintain our attack - something we're hoping more playing time for our 7 new players will help. Lafayette is a very seasoned, athletic team and should do well this year. AC continues to get better with every match.

As for the line judging - Thanks! :unsure: