elizabethton cyclones

4down1

Coach wanna be, As for Pless, he doesn't have the talent that Rider had and won't by the looks of the younger players. but this is at best an average football team

Sunny, these guys have won fairly regularly throughout thier careers. What do you think is the problem that they don't enjoy that same success as vasity players? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that these very young men were extremely successful at the fresh & JV levels and in thier earlier years also. The answer to that is why I think these young men are winners and I also question thier leadership, although not as scathing as others have mentioned. With the personnel, this team should be no less than 3-2. I am just saying that I disagree with your statement on the lack of talent. The coaching staff sure was high on this years squad preseason. I couldn't tell you there thoughts at this time, I don't know. There might not be the same talent as in Rider's last days, but plenty to get the job required, done.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunny, these guys have won fairly regularly throughout thier careers. What do you think is the problem that they don't enjoy that same success as vasity players? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that these very young men were extremely successful at the fresh & JV levels and in thier earlier years also. The answer to that is why I think these young men are winners and I also question thier leadership, although not as scathing as others have mentioned. With the personnel, this team should be no less than 3-2. I am just saying that I disagree with your statement on the lack of talent. The coaching staff sure was high on this years squad preseason. I couldn't tell you there thoughts at this time, I don't know. There might not be the same talent as in Rider's last days, but plenty to get the job required, done.

GLee,

Yes, they have won but one thing people forget is that some of these schools play their better underclassmen on the varsity only. The problem is that kids come to EHS without any knowledge of the game. Last year the starting tailback on the freshman team didn't play at TAD during the first half of the season. If you go to TAD some of the better athletes don't get into the game. It's sad when we play guys 170 in the line at the high school level and bigger and faster guys are standing on the sideline. The same is true in Jr. High. Why don't we try putting a system in place at the Jr. High level and running it all the way through. The QB for Eliz is good but if he speeds all night running for his life then sooner or later it will catch up. We lack speed and the line play is killing us. I still think we need to play in the classification where we belong.

....But, most importantly, and very sadly ....the Cyclones may have lost the very talented Charles Peters for the season, which with this being his senior season, his football career could very well have ended on Homecoming Night.

It seems so insignificant, the Xs and Os when something like this happens. We can hope for the very best for Charles and his teammates, but it doesn't look very promising.

....But, most importantly, and very sadly ....the Cyclones may have lost the very talented Charles Peters for the season, which with this being his senior season, his football career could very well have ended on Homecoming Night.

It seems so insignificant, the Xs and Os when something like this happens. We can hope for the very best for Charles and his teammates, but it doesn't look very promising.

Yes, Charles and Zack Potter went down hard. I heard that Zach may have a bad high ankle strain, which is no fun, but also that Charles has a knee situation that won't be verified until early next week. Hopefully both end up not being as bad as first thought. They are both big contributors.

Zack Potter has a severe ankle sprain. Will return this or next week. Charles Peters probably a grade 1 mcl tear. This is the least it is. Will have to do alittle more looking to make sure this is all it is. Wish all a successful and speedy recovery. Also #26 Austin Taylor bumbed up toe. All will be missed, should all heal well and be ready to go soon.

Edited by Drem2Achev

Quote from "GLee" - - - I think Besty should take a look at some quick hitting miss direction plays, such as tite end reverses and such to take a bit of pressure off of the O line. Everyone in the state knows what Betsy runs every year. Need more mix especially when the line is suffering.

But, I think we need to stay put in 4A. We can compete at that level. The stands would be empty if we dropped down, although we are one of the smallest 3A schools in the state.

GLee,

And this is not intended to second-guess anyone's play-calling: But I have a friend who has an Amazing Playbook!

But to continue your point, GLee, to on down in Knoxville: During the Walt Harris, and yes, even during the Phil Fulmer days as Offensive Coordinator for U T, our offense was often noted as "the best, most diverse," etc.; and we - U T - had a tremendous Screen Package.

That being said, and having coached a little, it so often becomes the mindset of the O C, and usually that as the result of the philosophy of the Head Coach, to "just move the chains," which can often lead to the other team winning the time of possession battle.

But from what I can gather, the Cyclones seem to be getting out-muscled up front; and the obvious cure for that occurs during the off-season, which could suggest that even these last five regular season games will be very tough.

Edited by krichunaka

And I've discussed enough topics (online) with you to know that you have the Cyclones and other area teams and athletes best interests in mind. And I can also sense in your words, and in those of the other posters, that you all are pulling for the same goal.

And for another bit of trivia. U T and U C L A used to have some really good matchups, until, and in the approximate words of former Bruins coach, Donahue, "We just started getting outrun." The Vols, and this is a credit to the often much-underappreciated Bill Battle, started recruiting Track athletes. U C L A was a great example of some of the teams that simply got left standing flat-footed.

And though that was slightly off the subject, I think there's a parallel. And while I'm rambling, and he will be the first to agree on this: Mike Lunsford never claimed to being a football genious, but the line play of his teams was so extraordinary (to include "The King," of course). :thumb:

I hate to hear that about Peters. I called Chambers earlier and asked and he said it did not look good. Chambers now you know who I am.

I don't post much anymore, but the message board keeps us informed what't going on and I love to read it. I feel honored Jabroni knowing your identity. You're the man. And my best wishes go out to Charles. I don't know of a finer young Christian man than he.

Charles is a role model for all young men to pattern their life after. He's also a very good student athlete with a 4.0 overall GPA. I hope he gets a good report.

Jabroni, I heard the Dogs might be wearing "Rams" colors next season.