Coaching, Need advice

titansdog

Keep it to yourself. Chances are the coaching staff sees it's own mistakes. Negativity will not help the program in the long run.

I recently sat through an episode of listenening to a small group of fans criticizing Crockett County's coaching staff with comments like "All we ever do is run the ball up the middle" and "When will Crockett County ever throw the ball instead of running every play". I'm sitting there thinking, as a CCHS alum and long-time fan, that from where our program was before P.A. and staff arrived and where it is now that these people must be nuts. Does P.A. always have the perfect game plan? Of course not, he is human, therefore he sometimes makes mistakes. And he is always aware of it before anybody else has time to point it out.

What I guess I'm trying to say is this- you may have a coaching staff that will do wonders for your program. They will learn from their errors. Support them and give them a chance to prove themselves. Good programs and winning teams do not happen overnight, they take time and effort. Don't be one of the reasons a coach looks to move to another school because he doesn't get support where he is at.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it to yourself. Chances are the coaching staff sees it's own mistakes. Negativity will not help the program in the long run.

I recently sat through an episode of listenening to a small group of fans criticizing Crockett County's coaching staff with comments like "All we ever do is run the ball up the middle" and "When will Crockett County ever throw the ball instead of running every play". I'm sitting there thinking, as a CCHS alum and long-time fan, that from where our program was before P.A. and staff arrived and where it is now that these people must be nuts. Does P.A. always have the perfect game plan? Of course not, he is human, therefore he sometimes makes mistakes. And he is always aware of it before anybody else has time to point it out.

What I guess I'm trying to say is this- you may have a coaching staff that will do wonders for your program. They will learn from their errors. Support them and give them a chance to prove themselves. Good programs and winning teams do not happen overnight, they take time and effort. Don't be one of the reasons a coach looks to move to another school because he doesn't get support where he is at.

good post

I once had a coach that had a confrontation with a parent. The coach asks the parent, "Sir, I hear your the best mechanic in town?" The parent replied, "I think I'm pretty good." The coach responded, "Well sir, how would you like it if I came by your shop and tell you how to rebuild that engine. You wouldn't like it, would you?" The parent was silenced, he didn't know what to say. The coach finished up with, "Let me do my job and I will let you do yours." The parent left the room and was not heard from again.

The point of this story is. Let the coaches coach. If the parents think that they can do better, go to college get an education degree in a field that you can teach, pass three praxis tests, get hired and be evaluated until you get tenured (if you last that long), put up with kids in a classroom (you can't discipline them like you can your kids at home) for a seven-hour school day, practice for at least two-to-three hours after school, make sure that you stay until all your kids have gotten their rides home (can't leave them alone for liability reasons). That means you leave home at 7 am and don't get home until 7 or 8 pm. Not much time with the wife and kids huh (sometimes coaches go two days without seing their families). Not to mention game nights where you might not get home until after midnight. Football coaches travels on Saturday to exchange films and watches films with the whole staff on Sundays. Basically a seven day a week job for very little pay and very little appreciation. Plus, put up with all of the constructive criticism from the "coffee shop" coaches.

PARENTS, you sure that you can do the job or feel like your better off with your higher paying job after reading this. If you think you can coach, more power to you and good luck. Otherwise, take into consideration that coaches spend more time with your children than their own and they are trying their best. Support the coaches.

What a great post!!!! As a coach myself, you find yourself very busy with the day-to-day activities involved in this profession, and to be good at it you have to spend time doing it. I think we coaches should thank our families especially Wives for putting up with our passion. If parents would just think about what they are about to say before they say it, things would be better....after all we are doing a job that many of them could not even come close to accomplishing. They need to take in to consideration that the coach is going to do the things that he thinks will make the team better and 9 times out of 10 there are no favorites involved. As for the teaching profession I realize everyday why I went to school and it was to teach young men my FAVORITE subject FOOTBALL!!!!!

Edited by dawgsfan71