rule interpretation

hawaii

What about if a QB does a quick kick and his leg is undercut in the action? My understanding of the "quick kick" is that the kicking team must inform one of the officials prior to the kick. The QB is much closer to the line of scrimmage after he boots the ball and MUCH more likely to incur some kind of contact by a defensive player. Is that considered unsportsmanlike conduct or perhaps only a 5 yard penalty? Or no penalty at all? This hypothetical situation assumes the QB's leg is still in the air w/out having the ball tipped.

The NHFS doesn't make a distinction between whether it is a punter or QB doing a quick kick. In fact, they call the situation a scrimmage kick which would cover both scenarios. Should the QB receive contact during the kick that in the judgement of the referee is excessive, a penalty will be assessed. I am not aware of any provisions that the team must inform the officials that a quick kick is coming and there is no mention of it in the rule book.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think unless the punter is holding the ball while he's hit it's roughing/running into the kicker. period. (or if it's tipped of course)

The real question is, at what point can you "block" the punter? I mean, you're allowed to block the punter if the return guy starts to run a kick back. Do you have to wait until the punt is fielded before you're allowed to block the punter?

You can block the punter during the return only. He becomes a defensive player and can be blocked near the play. You can also hit the quarterback during an interception return. SO light 'em up!

As far as i know if the punter is in the punting motion if contact is made with him during the punting motion without the ball beeing tipped/blocked then it is a 15 yard penaly 1 and 10

There are actually 2 penalties that can be called. Roughing the kicker is a 15 yard (automatic 1st down) that is called when the kicker is hit hard and knocked down or if the player made no attempt to avoid the kicker. Running into the kicker is a 5 yard penalty (no automatic 1st down) that is used if the kicker is bumped but not hit hard.

It does not matter if the ball touches the ground or not the kicker is protected.

Yea, sure.

You heard it from a zebras mouth.

:lol:

The rule book quotes are correct. The only way a punter can loose protection ,other than a block or tip, is when he becomes a runner. That can happen with a bad snap and he scoopes the ball up and runs around. :P

Edited by jimbo44