Should We Push Harder For Double Elimination?

CoachGonyeaSHS

CoachGonyeaSHS, you seem to have some people interested in this why don't you try holding one or maybe you have, then gather the input put together a proposal and present it with a petition. I think as much as these young men put into this sport we should give them as much of a chance to wrestle in an event that is as even as can be. There are some things to consider, 1- different divisions,2- a possible remerge ( in the future ) between public and private, this would surely affect the loser round in a double elimination, 3- how the tournement is drawn, will seedings be included? 4- why not add it to the other Dual and Individual tourneys? Better for everyone fans, coaches and most important the wrestlers. Maybe you could use RMC to help with a model setup or presentation, I know Creagan ( the father not the wrestler ) has done some real good dvds for their program, maybe he could help? Good luck and God bless to all this season.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the comment I was referring to.

coach, i've only been involved with wrestling for about ten years and to my knowledge, every year after the state tournament and recommendations are made, double elimination at state is one that is always wanted by the coaches. however, i don't believe it's ever considered and never changes. therefore, someone doesn't care, (just my opinion), and gives it lip service (i want to hear what you think but don't really want to change that). since he's the top guy, doesn't the buck stop there?

i hear he's done alot for the sport over the years and though i can't speak to all the changes that have taken place, i'll concede that fact to more knowledgable people.

i'm open to an explanantion as to why we don't have d.e., but i haven't heard one. it's asked for, it's asked for, it's asked for, etc........(chinese water torchure). :lol:

usfjim" since he's the top guy, doesn't the buck stop there? "

He works under the direction of the Board of Control, and under the direction of the Legislative Council. Both bodies are elected by the administrators of member schools. The members of both bodies are, themselves, administrators. So in response to the "buck stop there" question: Not by a long shot. He can make recommendations to the appropriate governing body, but he does not have a vote. He, no doubt, has a better understanding of what is on the minds of administrators across the state concerning scholastic athletics than any one individual. In many instances, he likely has some understanding of what has a chance of flying or has little or no chance of flying.

The double elimination idea has been among recommendations to the Board more than once. Have coaches asked their own administrators to speak to their own Board members on behalf the recommendation? (Have coaches even spoken to their own administrators concerning whether they, the administrators, would be in favor of DE) Have coaches, themselves, spoken to the board members who represent their schools? Has any coach or administrator who favors the recommendation appeared before the Board to explain to the members the reasons this recommendation would raise the level of the educational experience

for the athletes?

usfjim: "i'm open to an explanantion as to why we don't have d.e., but i haven't heard one. it's asked for, it's asked for, it's asked for, etc........(chinese water torchure)."

"one": time, time, time, etc...... Regardless of how we fans or coaches or athletes may feel, there are administrators and boards of education who are charged with educating a school or school district of students and may see the amount of time missed from the classroom in a different light than we do. TSSAA wrestling has moved from Friday afternoon, Friday night, and Saturday sessions during earlier years to Thursday afternoon and night, all day Friday, and all day Saturday at the present time. Some missed-classtime-conscious administrators (1) may not take well to the loss of more classtime.... and (2) at what point does the straw break the camel's back?

As I understand it, one or more coaches group(s) came up with DE plans that would require a minimum of additional time. I don't know the status of the plans.

Double elimination allows a more accurate measure of true quality in a tournament.