Division 2 Prospects

Memwrestling11

Rawn---------I agree that NDs move to D-I should not be considered "moving down". Come February, the current crop of kids will learn what a marathon march it is to medal in D-I as opposed to D-II ( no knock on the quality of D-II wrestling , but getting to the final 6 with as few teams as there are in D-II just does not have the same hurdles as in D-I ). But I have heard that ND is not going to schedule Baylor in wrestling this season. The Baylor-ND match is a longstanding annual affair, dating back to the late 60's when guys like Yogi Anderson, Pez Whatley, Reggie Gaddis, Steve Hammond, Martin Francis, and others were wrestling the Weinbergs , the Thompsons, Albert Wilson, John Hannah and others and Shaack was coaching at ND. Is this scheduling move true? If so, while I don't consider ND's move to D-I a "move down", I would consider the absence of a Baylor-ND a match a "move down" ----------from a fans perspective, I don't have a dog in the hunt. I would hate to see that match become a casualty of ND's move to D-I.

According to the Baylor website- no Notre Dame match. It is a shame. There have been great matches between the two over the years.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Baylor website- no Notre Dame match. It is a shame. There have been great matches between the two over the years.

That is a shame, Mtnrasslin. I know it did not match the intensity of Baylor-McCallie rivalry, but Baylor-ND had its own flavor because of the coaching history and other ties between the two schools. Since that rivalry now appears at an end, help me out with a little history. Did ND beat Baylor in wrestling when current longtime Baylor Shaack Van Duesen was the head coach at ND back in the early 70's? I'm pretty sure ND beat them when former ND state champ Yogi Anderson, who was an assistant with the Baylor program a few years back and whose son was a state champ at Baylor, was the head coach at ND following Shaack.

Is moving to Division 1 "moving down" WE DONT THINK SO!!

Gotta disagree. Moving from D II to D I A-AA is a move DOWN. Notre Dame will dominate the state duals, and may be undefeated in dual meets going in. ND has not scheduled Baylor. I can't say if they have scheduled McCallie, as neither has posted their schedule. My guess is they have not. Has ND scheduled Soddy? Will Bradley wrestle ND? (If ND is willing?) Will ND wrestle Father Ryan? That rivalry goes back a long way. ND will have a great year, but who will they wrestle?

Their biggest challenges that I can see will be the traditional state tournament. And, whatever other "traditional" tournaments that they may enter.

Notre Dame & Father Ryan wrestled a dual match for probably 20+ years on a Sunday afternoon. When Father Ryan moved to their new campus Notre Dame was extended the opportunity to be the first wrestling match held @ the new campus but they declined. To my knowledge the two schools have not wrestled a dual match for over 15 years. The same can be said for The Baylor School. When Major was coaching FR & Baylor wrestled every year but for some reason the last several years they have not been able to work things out with their schedules.

Gotta disagree. Moving from D II to D I A-AA is a move DOWN.

Huh? Are we having fun yet?? Okay, ND falls short to Baylor and places second in DII in 2005, just ahead of McCallie, MBA, FR and CBHS (coulda woulda shoulda)? NOW, real life in DI,,, they beat out BC, Soddy, Franklin, Science Hill, Ravenwood, Overton, Brentwood, Collierville, Ridgeway, Hendersonville, Farragut, Clarksville, Cordova, Cleveland, CC, Cookeville, Red Bank, and even Ooletewah, Walker Valley & Smyrna to take 1st place. We'll see how large of a step down they take this season, AND especially next season against SD and BC as seniors.

Herm, you sure remind me of someone, but I can't nail you down quite yet. :thumb:

Edited by Sommers

I doubt the team will medal.

Okay Albert. :D I now get your real point,,, But, certainly they would pull out a top four medal in a few smaller invites like Central, Soddy, Dog Pound (depends on how much purple is there :D, or their own ND tourney; would you not agree?

Edited by Sommers

Okay Albert. B) I now get your real point,,, But, certainly they would pull out a top four medal in a few smaller invites like Central, Soddy, Dog Pound (depends on how much purple is there :), or their own; would you not agree?

My reference is to the state. They will probably win the Dade Co. tournament. And, will surely finish high at Knox Catholic.