TSSAA Officiating

PTSportsWriter

I won't spare you folks to the mindless complaints, but I see my fair share and then some of HS ball a year. And each and every year, the Tri-Cities associations are awful.

While they didnt impact tonights game with a direct call, I would at least like the officials to show some competence.

Case #1 - Double bonus situation, and Team A is shooting. Team A's first shot is up and no good and teams play the ball. Team B rebounds, comes down the floor, shoots, makes the basket and it's good.

Before the shot, the scorers table buzzes the offical and tells them of the error - which is uncorrectable because play has continued. And then the officals grant Team A another foul shot.

I've always viewed and officiated (I do it part-time volunteer work) as if an error occurs and then time comes off the clock (or another play occurs, etc) - most errors are uncorrectable.

Case #2 - and this is less black/white than #1 - but, really, when Offensive Player #1 drives through the lane going up for a layup and runs over Defensive Player #1 (who is not under the 'so-called arc' or under the basket) its either a block or a charge, not a no-call.

With all due respect to everyone in this forum, I should state in the beginning, that each of you probably has much more experience than I and probably see many more games than I as I see only about 30-35 games a year. My problem with the officiating is that, to me, it seems that officiating is simply full of inconsistency. By that I mean that I don't care if you call the game loose or tight but whichever you choose then be consistent on both ends of the floor and for the whole game. I realize that this is close to charging favoritism but this is sincerely not intended. I would rather say that it is a problem of incompetence as, to me, it seems to happen sometimes for and sometimes against the team I am pulling for. Or maybe it is because of some mechanical reason such as refs working only half of the floor. In any event, to me, it seems to be something that the TSSAA certainly needs to work on.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest complaint is each official group(west tn, middle tn, and east tn) enforce diferent things so when you get to regionals and the state tourney the players can't do the same things they did during the regular season and even district tourneys. The main thing that I have noticed is the way they enforce the traveling call in different parts of the state. I understand that a walk is a walk but it should be mandatory for all refs to call it the same way all over Tennessee. Some refs may call a jab step a walk and some will let you shuffle your feet. Just something that I have noticed and wanted to put in my two cents.

My biggest complaint is each official group(west tn, middle tn, and east tn) enforce diferent things so when you get to regionals and the state tourney the players can't do the same things they did during the regular season and even district tourneys. The main thing that I have noticed is the way they enforce the traveling call in different parts of the state. I understand that a walk is a walk but it should be mandatory for all refs to call it the same way all over Tennessee. Some refs may call a jab step a walk and some will let you shuffle your feet. Just something that I have noticed and wanted to put in my two cents.

If you think it is different from west, middle, and east Tn. try taking a team to Kentucky and play. You better wear your jock and put a cup in it they let you play up there to say the least.

If you think it is different from west, middle, and east Tn. try taking a team to Kentucky and play. You better wear your jock and put a cup in it they let you play up there to say the least.

I agree 100% we had a camp up there this past summer and play a Kentucky team in the regular season and it is just unreal what they let go on and then they will call something ticky-tack.

THAT TOURNY AND THE CULLEOKA THANKSGIVING TOURNY...THE FREE THROW DIFFERENTIAL AT HALF TIME WAS 17-2 FAVORING CULLEOKA..PLAYIN INDEPENDENCE...AT THE END OF THE GAME THE FREE THROWS WERE 49-10 CULLEOKA...THAT DID NOT GIVE IHS ONE CALL ALL NIGHT AND THAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE IN THE GAME EVEN THOUGH 30 OF THEIR 66 POINTS CAME OFF FREE THROWS THAN ON WON BY 9....IT WAS 8 ON 5 ON THE COURT....TERRIBLE THANKSGIVING TOURNIES ALL OVER...