Cumberland Gap vs. Claiborne

Gapfan06

Well said RB from I assume First Baptist of New Tazewell. It is just a game that should be enjoyed by both sides, and who wins means little in the big picture of life. How you conduct yourself on the court will be remembered long after most have forgotten the score. Play hard, play clean, but when it is over shake hands and you will gain the respect of your opponent regardless of the score. BTW if the official you are talking about is R.W. I agree he is by no means a Claiborne homer.

Yep, that's the right initials. Perhaps I was misinformed that he is a CCHS alum, but in the past year, no one has told me any differently.

The officials did a good job tonight in both games, and I made a point to comment on them several times during the broadcast. There were several close "no calls" both ways, and I am in favor of that, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. It allows the coaches and players to set the tempo, just as it should be.

To be honest, I had my doubts that the Panthers could match up with the Bulldogs so well this season. This one was still anybody's game with 8.7 seconds left, but free throws made in the clutch finally sealed the fate with 4.7 seconds on the clock.

Brim had 22 for the Panthers, Nickell had 21 for the Bulldogs, so the team leaders led the way as expected. Fultz and O'Dell took turns controlling the paint, but Fultz took control down the stretch. I talked with O'Dell after the game, and he said that Fultz was a man on a mission.

If all of the games that I see could be decided in the final 4.7 seconds, I would be unable to stay away from the gym.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's BULL ,He was ruled ineligible over here because he was held back his 8th grade year (stupid eh)?? he appealed it and lost.

But the word was he was declared eligible by the TSSAA.

It's a out right shame that an origination would keep him or a KID from playing.

He is a awesome talent and I hate it someone took his H.S playing career away.

Oh yeah he is also a good baseball player but his talent is shooting the basketball.

The TSSAA is not fully to blame either SEB. TSSAA has a rule that you can't transfer guardianship from one parent to another in order to transfer eligibility from one school district to another.

As I understand it, Joe could have played in Tennessee this season, even though TSSAA has the same 8th grade rule as KHSAA. It would have required his mom to move into the district as his legal guardian, even though his dad already lived in Tennessee.

I hate it for Joe. I am a huge fan of holding kids back, especially athletes, but it has to be done prior to starting into the 8th grade. The clock starts ticking when you begin 8th grade, and ends 5 years later. If you repeat any grade after that, you lose eligibility before your senior year.

I wanted to hold my son back in the 1st grade, but my wife, his teacher, and school officials acted like I was crazy, and suggested pushing him forward instead, because of his advanced comprehension level. I flatly and firmly refused to allow that, so he ended up graduating from high school at 17, just like I did. He regrets not being in high school until he was 19, just like I do.

The first person out there to convince me that 19 is just way too old to start college, and that 23 is way too late to begin a career will win whatever is behind door # 2.

The TSSAA is not fully to blame either SEB. TSSAA has a rule that you can't transfer guardianship from one parent to another in order to transfer eligibility from one school district to another.

As I understand it, Joe could have played in Tennessee this season, even though TSSAA has the same 8th grade rule as KHSAA. It would have required his mom to move into the district as his legal guardian, even though his dad already lived in Tennessee.

I hate it for Joe. I am a huge fan of holding kids back, especially athletes, but it has to be done prior to starting into the 8th grade. The clock starts ticking when you begin 8th grade, and ends 5 years later. If you repeat any grade after that, you lose eligibility before your senior year.

I wanted to hold my son back in the 1st grade, but my wife, his teacher, and school officials acted like I was crazy, and suggested pushing him forward instead, because of his advanced comprehension level. I flatly and firmly refused to allow that, so he ended up graduating from high school at 17, just like I did. He regrets not being in high school until he was 19, just like I do.

The first person out there to convince me that 19 is just way too old to start college, and that 23 is way too late to begin a career will win whatever is behind door # 2.

Sports Guy....... every official most likely graduated from some high school, and if they still live in the area the TSSAA does not prevent them from officiating games at their alma mater. They are for the most part very professional, and as you should know in your line of work should be unbiased. If you think that because an official lives in Claiborne that he is going to travel to Gatlinburg, or Greene County to ref games every time their would be no refs to call. I coached at a competing school, and my son played for another school that played Claiborne. The official in question officiated games that I coached vs. Claiborne, as well as games that my son played in vs Claiborne and while all miss calls he did not in my opinion call it one sided.

I too agree that holding especially boys back is not a bad thing, as they usually mature later than girls. My good friends Lewis Morris, and Randy Frazier who have coached in both Tennessee and Kentucky have said that it was a common practice in Kentucky, but not so common in Tennessee. I also lost that argument with my wife many years ago, but it does allow them to mature both physically and mentally, and will definately help them in sports as well as in their studies.

My point is not that an official should always travel across the state to work.

I just think that if you can't stay neutral in games involving your most bitter rival, you should go 20 miles in the other direction that evening. There's almost always a game nearby.

RB, I think that you do a great job with the kids, and I respect what you do from the bottom of my heart.

If you honestly believe that I, or anyone else for that matter, can start with a short pre-game, follow the action of 10 players, 2 coaches, and 3 officials through 2 games step by step, and do a post game wrap-up, without ever once offering an opinion, we need to swap microphones one night. We refer to opinions as "color".

I still have a copy of the game in question on video, and have reviewed it from end to end.

The only thing I would have changed about last years broadcast, would be to have the officials' names, just as I did for all other particpants, and not have described him by physical characteristics instead.

Refs are human beings, with lives outside of the gym, and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. I apologize for not knowing his name in advance of the broadcast.

I would describe myself as tall, fat, & bald, but I would prefer to be called by my name, or Sports Guy.

Sports Guy wasn't refering personally to you but I can say...

Been there done that... I would love to swap microphones. I did PBP for WSCC and was paid by them but never did I let my personal opinions get in the way. Color is describing a way a player plays, the function and flow of the game. Sorry we agree to disagree on that one.

Sinc the mid80s PVHS fans have cheered (or jeered) the officials more than they have cheer their team. Tha was evident last night, sorry I had ear plugs most of the game.

Any of my comments are not to be taken as personal. Last night when Panther fans (note capitalization) had potty mouths, I didn't announce their players, when I seem Bulldog fans do the same I did the same practice.

But now that game is in the past, and as I said yesterday lets look to the future.

RB @ FBC

RBullen01@centurytel.net

Last night when Panther fans (note capitalization) had potty mouths, I didn't announce their players, when I saw Bulldog fans do the same I did the same practice.

RB @ FBC

RBullen01@centurytel.net

Kids can really give each other a hard time. They also give me a hard time when they see me in public wearing the "wrong" baseball cap.

In my car you will find caps for Middlesboro, Pineville, Bell County, Claiborne, Cumberland Gap, Pigeon Forge, Kentucky, and Tennessee. I've been trying to get a Thomas Walker cap for 2 years, but haven't found one yet. I get teased more at Claiborne for the Pigeon Forge cap than any other. I agrred to cheer for them at the regional tournament last year, if they were the last District 2 team standing. They were, I did, and they gave me a cap. It's the nicest free cap I have ever received.

I cheer for all of the kids without bias toward any school. I'm only human, so there are some kids, coaches, and fans that warm my heart more than others, but they are spread out among all school districts in the area.

It helps that my own kids graduated from Campbell County, and not from any of the schools that I cover.

I still live in Jacksboro, and have to travel at least an hour to do the games for WLMU. I pick up most of my expenses, but every one of the area players is worth that meager effort.

• 1 year later...

2mar night its going to be the cumberland gap panthers against the claiborne bulldogs(donkeys) at claiborne(donkeyville) the gap has this one in the bag so everybody come out and support the panthers

PANTHER PRIDE

any claiborne fans remember the 37-6 beating?????????????

no ,remember the past 3years in football???? stinks dont it? :lol:

go panthers :thumb: