Weekly Carter County --- Top 5

osubrutus

S&R,

I was just butting into the conversion with HIGHLANDER ,I have watched both the high school and middle school practice I know that both work on boxing out very hard .Coach B says they have to because of a lack of size .The middle schools coach is in his 1 year coaching,but has done a pretty good job.He also says the same thing about not being big enough, so i know that they work on rebounding also.Just giving a little info not trying to be rude.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S&R,

I am close to the 'Landers. I see some practices, but not enough to really say how much time is spent on all areas of fundamentals. I know all the girls, and have coached many of them during my years in youth club and aau ball.

By the way, the freshman have a game against Hampton today. The 'Landers beat them 50-37 when they played a few weeks ago. Miller (23) shut down Mikki Oliver then and that stopped Hampton's scoring. We'll see how it goes today.

The Highlander

S&R,

I am close to the 'Landers. I see some practices, but not enough to really say how much time is spent on all areas of fundamentals. I know all the girls, and have coached many of them during my years in youth club and aau ball.

The problem with teaching fundementals is this: a coach can show a kid the proper shooting form and give them ball handling drills. It's up to the individual to put these to use. You can't spend time learning how to shoot or dribble in practice. These need to be worked on in the off season and put to use when season starts. You can't say "well, it's basketball season. Time to start working on my shot."

Agree and disagree old44, yes these kids must take this work outside of practice and work individualy to master these skills. But if a coach just tells them how and doesn't spend time each day going over these then these kids are not going to think they are very important or even necessary. If a coach doesn't spend time on these then it doesn't matter what offense or what defense they run it will not be very effective. These fundamentals must be stressed day in and day out. The better players will inturn take these and improve on them on their own. The average player will only do what you make them. So coaches need to make them do it in practice. Once this is done then see how effective an offense or defense can be.

Agree and disagree old44, yes these kids must take this work outside of practice and work individualy to master these skills. But if a coach just tells them how and doesn't spend time each day going over these then these kids are not going to think they are very important or even necessary. If a coach doesn't spend time on these then it doesn't matter what offense or what defense they run it will not be very effective. These fundamentals must be stressed day in and day out. The better players will inturn take these and improve on them on their own. The average player will only do what you make them. So coaches need to make them do it in practice. Once this is done then see how effective an offense or defense can be.

AMEN! I was fortunate to play for a tremendous Fundamentals Coach. Now he - Daniel Holder, of Cline - Holder Electric - makes his living doing other things, but practically our entire practice sessions were devoted to Fundamentals, Fundamentals and more FUNDAMENTALS.

There was another coach named Wooden who made a pretty good name for himself teaching Fundamentals of the game. Some thought he was a little extreme in teaching things like how to keep your dressing room clean, how to fold socks and lace and tie shoes; but his approach seems to have worked pretty well. :lol: