Changing of the guard in 4AAA?

bizazz

I noticed that Farragut had posted its spring preview at tbca.org.

Coach Pharr commented that this is one of his least-experienced teams in awhile. He didn't even have probable starters listed for several positions.

They'll return probably the top pitcher in the KIL in Catapano, but have lost mainstays like Delmonico, Brown, Jennings, and Ivey.

On the other hand South Doyle's "fabulous freshmen" are now juniors. Bearden returns a veteran lineup.

Is this the year that someone besides Farragut wins the district?

This is off topic, but as someone who follows 4AAA maybe you can help me with a question. District 4AAA is an 8-team district; what's the format of the tournament going to be?

I ask because LC is coming out of a 6-team district that gave the 2 teams with the best regular-season records a bye into a double-elimination round and required the other 4 to meet in a single-elimination play-in round. I don't know if an 8-team district will have something similar or not.

As to the topic, LOL, I wouldn't put too much faith in what a coach says in a preview. But I expect that the district will be closer this year.

LC - The district 4 tourney has been as follows:

Based on regular season standings, two pools are formed. These pools have been hosted by the top 2 regular finishers. The tourney is double-elimination.

Pool 1

1 plays 8

4 plays 5

Pool 2

2 plays 7

3 plays 6

My memory is fuzzy, but after there are two teams left standing in each pool the brackets cross. The undefeated team from each pool gets the other pool's 1-loss team.

The top two teams qualify for the regional tournament vs. the top two teams from district 3.

Welcome to the district. The past few years this district has been one of the toughest in the state.

LC - The district 4 tourney has been as follows:

Based on regular season standings, two pools are formed. These pools have been hosted by the top 2 regular finishers. The tourney is double-elimination.

Pool 1

1 plays 8

4 plays 5

Pool 2

2 plays 7

3 plays 6

My memory is fuzzy, but after there are two teams left standing in each pool the brackets cross. The undefeated team from each pool gets the other pool's 1-loss team.

The top two teams qualify for the regional tournament vs. the top two teams from district 3.

Welcome to the district. The past few years this district has been one of the toughest in the state.

Bizazz, you are not too fuzzy on your memory. You are right on target. It is good to see you back on coacht. How are things in the college of baseball?

Good to hear from you Guru. Hope you are doing well.

College ball is going ok. Everyone is excited to see what kind of product Bernie Young puts on the field at Milligan. The players liked the previous coach, Danny Clark, a lot. But I think they've grown comfortable with Bernie. Bernie has a different style, so I think the players had to adjust. I've heard nothing but good things about Bernie from former players, teammates, and acquaintances.

It's generally not a problem in high school ball, but at Milligan you're always on pins and needles to see if anyone gets into academic trouble. Hopefully everyone will be eligible.

I just saw that Knox West had posted its preview at tbca.org. It's going to be weird not thinking of them as a district 4 team anymore.

I noticed that Farragut had posted its spring preview at tbca.org.

Coach Pharr commented that this is one of his least-experienced teams in awhile. He didn't even have probable starters listed for several positions.

They'll return probably the top pitcher in the KIL in Catapano, but have lost mainstays like Delmonico, Brown, Jennings, and Ivey.

On the other hand South Doyle's "fabulous freshmen" are now juniors. Bearden returns a veteran lineup.

Is this the year that someone besides Farragut wins the district?

Farragut is a strong team either way you look at it...they may be down, but should still be in it...they're just one of those teams....