Jackson Howell will be next Portland Head Coach

Green Lantern

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I will make no comment about the portland offense when Coach Perry was in because for the most part he always put points on the board. The only thing that I didnt agree with much was that my junior year we switched defenses. I myself liked the 4-4. If I could have chose and I know that I didnt stand alone on this opinion...I wished that we could have ran the 5-2. Its kinda hard to stop the up the middle run when you just have 3 lineman.But I do wish Coach Perry and Coach Duncan luck at their new school. There are few coaches in high school that make you strive for excellence and except nothing else but your best as they did. I dont know who will be the new coach of portland but I do know that after a little time portland will be a powerhouse again. And no offense to Coach Perry but I know for a fact quite a few guys will now suit up for the panthers that were not going to play if Perry was in.Best of luck to the Panthers next coach and the upcoming Panther Team.

well said LT....by the way, killer boots man...

haha

Well I will make no comment about the portland offense when Coach Perry was in because for the most part he always put points on the board. The only thing that I didnt agree with much was that my junior year we switched defenses. I myself liked the 4-4. If I could have chose and I know that I didnt stand alone on this opinion...I wished that we could have ran the 5-2. Its kinda hard to stop the up the middle run when you just have 3 lineman.But I do wish Coach Perry and Coach Duncan luck at their new school. There are few coaches in high school that make you strive for excellence and except nothing else but your best as they did. I dont know who will be the new coach of portland but I do know that after a little time portland will be a powerhouse again. And no offense to Coach Perry but I know for a fact quite a few guys will now suit up for the panthers that were not going to play if Perry was in.Best of luck to the Panthers next coach and the upcoming Panther Team.

in case you didn't pay any attention that entire first year of th 3-3-5 all but one or two teams had to pass to beat us because the speed and movement of the d-line. and as for the little comment about there will be more guys suiting up thats bull crap because those guys just can't take the discipline and they shouldn't even be on the team period and i don't see the rules changing anyway because that's why they didn't play if you actually played then you would know this.

in case you didn't pay any attention that entire first year of th 3-3-5 all but one or two teams had to pass to beat us because the speed and movement of the d-line. and as for the little comment about there will be more guys suiting up thats bull crap because those guys just can't take the discipline and they shouldn't even be on the team period and i don't see the rules changing anyway because that's why they didn't play if you actually played then you would know this.

If you actually played you can look at my name and # on here and know exactly who I am so I am kinda questioning if you ever played and by the way the teams that had to pass to beat us...no offense to them I would never put down another ball club, but they couldnt have beat us anyway. My remark about different guys suiting is just what I have heard from younger players. That doesnt mean that I agree with it. I think that football and discipline go hand in hand. I was just saying that we might see some talent that we might not have seen if Coach Perry was in. I thought Coach Perry was a good coach and I hope the next coach is alot like him because hate him or love him he can put together a good football team. And the 3-3-5 my senior year had one lineman that weighed over 200 lbs. in the starting lineup. Any offensive line with just decent size can do pretty good damage on 3 undersized guys. Dont get me wrong they were good and fast and gave it their all, but in some cases size does matter.Thats why I recommended the 5-2 and Ill say it again. I know that I didnt stand alone on that opinion.

I have no dog in this fight except as a fan of a rival team, which had several years of good success against Portland.

When we were able to beat Portland and beat them soundly, we often had a good passing attack. Jon Finch and Kyle Levering both were successful against Portland, and only one time can I remember were we completely one dimensional and still won the game.

In 1998, Brian Jones and Gerald Turner were Mr. Football finalists. Turner eventually won it. But in the first meeting of the year, White House had Josh Lanius playing a healthy quarterback and he was both a threat on the run and in the pass. White House won that game handily.

In the playoff matchup, Lanius gets hurt the week before. Brock Waggoner played quarterback and we ran the ball over 50 times in the game, with Brian Jones gaining almost 250 yards. We simply won the line of scrimmage and advanced, 21-14, in a close game.

Portland has always been physical, but playing at 6-4A level will be a different test of athlete and opponent. They will need not only to be physical up front, but athletic in the secondary to stop teams like Whites Creek, etc., who can throw the football. Maybe they can do well in the region, but that playoff matchup with 5-4A is one of the toughest draws in the state.

I'm not a defensive guy -- I don't get much into schemes and so forth, but I do understand alignment, and it seemed that when we went to 4-A and were successful, we shifted from a 50 front to a 4-3. We went back to the 50 late this year and had success with it deep into the 3-A playoffs.

Edited by letsgodevils

If you actually played you can look at my name and # on here and know exactly who I am so I am kinda questioning if you ever played and by the way the teams that had to pass to beat us...no offense to them I would never put down another ball club, but they couldnt have beat us anyway. My remark about different guys suiting is just what I have heard from younger players. That doesnt mean that I agree with it. I think that football and discipline go hand in hand. I was just saying that we might see some talent that we might not have seen if Coach Perry was in. I thought Coach Perry was a good coach and I hope the next coach is alot like him because hate him or love him he can put together a good football team. And the 3-3-5 my senior year had one lineman that weighed over 200 lbs. in the starting lineup. Any offensive line with just decent size can do pretty good damage on 3 undersized guys. Dont get me wrong they were good and fast and gave it their all, but in some cases size does matter.Thats why I recommended the 5-2 and Ill say it again. I know that I didnt stand alone on that opinion.

ok ur right and wrong at the same time i'm gonna say i did play. my senior year was the first year of that defense and i liked it when i first saw the only thing i didn't like was the pass defense that came with it. i agree with you i prefered the 5-2 because it had more lineman and could stop the run but with the guys we had at linebacker and you know you i'm talkin about we had a great run defense and if we could have stopped white house's pass we would have won and i have heard that from several white house players so i agree and disagree with you i am sorry if i offended you...

Edited by ptown_man

• 2 weeks later...