Forrest invitational

intothechance

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you looked at the finals...98% of the best wrestlers at this tournament were paired off...seeding is never perfect...and never will be...point in case...at least 4 guys that were ranked in the top 6 of division I were beat by unranked wrestlers yesterday...

for the most part...the most talented wrestlers were split up in the pools and that is why it worked...if you had been there...then you would not have made the above comment...just the truth...

I was talking in general and not in particular to this tourney, which is the way you were presenting your point as well. For the most part, I agree, but my example was in support of motivation's thoughts.

just the truth.....lol.

i have to agree with texas on this one. the reason i say this, i know of off the top of my head at 135 for us we beat a guy that wrestled in the finals and the reason that guy got to go on was because he pinned one of the guys in the pool faster than we did. thats not fair. and you are right about the seedings were all messed up. with that said your son is a good wrestler and has a very bright future if he continues to work hard mr. patton. it was a pleasure to get to meet you and talk to you at the tournament. blackmon has a very under rated program only because they give up 5 forfeits

no doubt the seedings were all messed up...some of them really messed up...like justin nelson of blackman going into the tournament 19-3 and did not even get seeded at the 160lb class...now that is weird...and you are right..

now i would agree that this should not happen...it is sad that things like this do happen...it is a shame that you cannot get closer to seeding reality than this...and might even say it was unfair...if i define "unfair" as i have in the preceding phrased

but when i use the term "unfair" ...what i mean is... i am making an excuse...or blaming someone else for not reaching my goals...and that is why i like to stay away from using it...so instead i like to say..."life is not fair...so let's make it fair by winning"...and if we lose....let's keep on wrestling so we can learn and win again...

and i was not aware of what criterior they used to seperate the tie breakers...such as you mentioned... "fastest pin"...i think the criterior is supposed to be already decieded in a tssaa wrestling tournament...and if they used the criterior they were supposed to then great...if not...then they certainly should have...i don't know...and if they did not...then as a wrestler i know this feels unfair

there was alot of good wrestling yesterday...especially at 125, 130, 140, and good individuals...160, 171, ....and more...i still think most...emphasize "most"...of the best wrestlers got into the finals...some got upset...and will be back in the hunt the next week...

anyway...enough said...probably some truth on both sides of the fence...i talked to alot of people yesterday... if you are a coach (AND I THINK YOU ARE) that i spoke with for an extended time...you already know the respect and admiration i have for you and your program...and...i wish so badly we had a full team as well...how about we put our two teams together and call it 'BLACK COFFEE"...SMILE...see you next saturday at ravenwood

Edited by pattonboysdad

i have to agree with texas on this one. the reason i say this, i know of off the top of my head at 135 for us we beat a guy that wrestled in the finals and the reason that guy got to go on was because he pinned one of the guys in the pool faster than we did. thats not fair. and you are right about the seedings were all messed up. with that said your son is a good wrestler and has a very bright future if he continues to work hard mr. patton. it was a pleasure to get to meet you and talk to you at the tournament. blackmon has a very under rated program only because they give up 5 forfeits

If we didn't have a team bail out at the last minute we may have not been confronted with the problem of coming up short in a pool. Rather than run a round robin of three where there was a three pool weight class we decided to pull up a second place pool placer to make a 4 man semi final. So, a second chance was given to somebody to medal. This was a gift. This also only took place in 5 weight classes. The other 9 had the required number of pools to run the semi final match. We could have gone to a 12 man bracket double elimination, but the way we did it everyone got 4 or 5 matches. It was some of the best medal competition I have seen anywhere and everyone got a holiday tune-up. Thanks to all the teams and individuals that participated.

no doubt the seedings were all messed up...some of them really messed up...like justin nelson of blackman going into the tournament 19-3 and did not even get seeded at the 160lb class...now that is weird...and you are right..

now i would agree that this should not happen...it is sad that things like this do happen...it is a shame that you cannot get closer to seeding reality than this...and might even say it was unfair...if i define "unfair" as i have in the preceding phrased

but when i use the term "unfair" ...what i mean is... i am making an excuse...or blaming someone else for not reaching my goals...and that is why i like to stay away from using it...so instead i like to say..."life is not fair...so let's make it fair by winning"...and if we lose....let's keep on wrestling so we can learn and win again...

and i was not aware of what criterior they used to seperate the tie breakers...such as you mentioned... "fastest pin"...i think the criterior is supposed to be already decieded in a tssaa wrestling tournament...and if they used the criterior they were supposed to then great...if not...then they certainly should have...i don't know...and if they did not...then as a wrestler i know this feels unfair

there was alot of good wrestling yesterday...especially at 125, 130, 140, and good individuals...160, 171, ....and more...i still think most...emphasize "most"...of the best wrestlers got into the finals...some got upset...and will be back in the hunt the next week...

anyway...enough said...probably some truth on both sides of the fence...i talked to alot of people yesterday... if you are a coach (AND I THINK YOU ARE) that i spoke with for an extended time...you already know the respect and admiration i have for you and your program...and...i wish so badly we had a full team as well...how about we put our two teams together and call it 'BLACK COFFEE"...SMILE...see you next saturday at ravenwood

Fans and Coaches,

The seeding for the tournament was based on the information that I was given by the coaches. I also tried to use what I could from the rankings. However from many of the coaches, I did not receive record information or other significant information. I think that the tournament had some strong wrestlers in it and they proved themselves well, and there were some underdogs who came up big. That is what is great about wrestling. Keep it up guys. You all should be proud of how you competed.

The results are online. MAT CONTROL Click on Forrest Inv Results on the schedule. You may print pictures as well.

Brad Fiscus

MAT CONTROL

If we didn't have a team bail out at the last minute we may have not been confronted with the problem of coming up short in a pool. Rather than run a round robin of three where there was a three pool weight class we decided to pull up a second place pool placer to make a 4 man semi final. So, a second chance was given to somebody to medal. This was a gift. This also only took place in 5 weight classes. The other 9 had the required number of pools to run the semi final match. We could have gone to a 12 man bracket double elimination, but the way we did it everyone got 4 or 5 matches. It was some of the best medal competition I have seen anywhere and everyone got a holiday tune-up. Thanks to all the teams and individuals that participated.

The criteria for pool ties used was the following:

In the event of a tie in the pool round of the tournament, the following criteria will be utilized:

1. Head to Head

2. #Pins and match length

3. Most match points scored