Oneida vs. Wartburg

killtacular

Youdon'tknowme,

I know you said that you weren't meaning that towards Coach Windle, but it seems to have an undertone that points someone to that conclusion, after reading it. Is there something like this going on in your opinion? Does he not do a good job? Is he a bad motivator? Do you have examples of your opinions?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Windle and myself have not always seen eye to eye on some things but I still respect him as a person and a coach. The thing that bothers me the most is I just feel there is a little bit to much of a "team" concept with Oneida. Don't get me wrong because I know it takes a team to win games and one player is only as good as the people around them but I just feel the players have not been told what their role on the team is. Everyone is not a defender, a rebounder, a ball handler, a "hustle" player, or a scorer.

These are just my opinions but I feel this is what each player does best:

Shut down defender: Logan Crowley

Scorers: Benji Jacobs/Zach Lambert

Rebounders: Benji Jacobs/Daniel Smith/Logan Crowley

Ball handlers:Zach Lambert/Chuck Jeffers

Hustle players: Allen Hughett/Jared Orick/Alax Abbott

Oneida is not a great defensive team but they have a really good defensive player in Logan Crowley.

There is not anybody in the district that can stop Benji Jacobs in the post or Zach Lambert driving to the goal but right now they are not getting the ball in the right positions to do so. Those two players need to average 30-40 points a game between them for Oneida to win but right now it is 20-30 between them.

Hughett, Orick, and Abbott are all over the place(diving after loose balls, taking charges, etc.) and Smith is 6'9'' so he should get every rebound.

Just look at college and NBA teams, they know who to get the ball to to win games but Oneida doesn't. There are to many player worried about themselves instead of winning the games.

Once again these are just my opinions and I have nothing against Coach Windle but I just feel like each player does not know their role.

Edited by youdontknowme

Melton, Shannon, Shannon, Nelson, Carter.

Just a couple of names I think could shut Jacobs down :blink:

Nelson, Shannon, Gunter, Schultz

Just a couple of names I think could shut Lambert down :lol:

I do agree though If a player can take it to the rim and finish then let him do it. If you gotta kid that can score in the post get it to him. Oneida will just keep improving should be good come Tourny's.

Just a couple of names I think could shut Lambert down :lol:

I do agree though If a player can take it to the rim and finish then let him do it. If you gotta kid that can score in the post get it to him. Oneida will just keep improving should be good come Tourny's.

How many points did they have against those players? Lambert has been on a tear lately, how many did he have against Wartburg? Jacobs can't be stopped, contained, but not stopped.

Just a couple of names I think could shut Lambert down :wacko:

Just like Ro said, Lambert has been on a tear lately and Jacobs has averaged a double double against all of those except for Carter because Oneida has only played them once and he has had very limited touches in all of those. The limited touches were not because they shut him down but because his team would not pass him the ball.

Zach has been playing well, and he is getting more opportunities to drive. Benji hasn't had as many touches in the past few games because teams have keyed on that, and either put two or three guys surrounding him, keeping him from recieving a pass, or played a zone to try to accomplish the same. But, your are right, youdon'tknowme, there have been times that the pass was available, but wasn't thrown. I'm sure the coaching staff has addressed the situations and have been trying to improve the overall play of the team.

However, youdon'tknowme, all players are expected to play solid defense, and hustle, and box out. Are they some that are better than others at each? Yes. But, on offense, the team is expected to try to get the best possible shot, which is an open shot, by anyone on the team. Yes, when needing a score, I'm sure they will try to find a score by the best possible scorer or match-up. That's just simple coaching.

Yes, Benji Jacobs and Zach Lambert are two of the better players in the district.

I was not saying everyone should not play defense, box out, or hustle, I was just pointing out what I thought each persons strong points were. Everyone should play hard all the time but each player needs to know their limitations. Shot selection has not been good and we panic to easy. Our boys need to calm down and do what is best for the team. When I say do what is best for the team I mean to know your role and play your role.

You are right about Oneida not having the talent that we usually do. They have a couple of athletes on this team they are just not playing up to their capabilities. I do agree with you this is a down year, but they are a very young team and I beleive that they will continue to improve. Oneida just dont have as many athletes as they use to. Thats why they need to make up for it with hustle.