How To Grade A Players Performance

kwright

I have always had a rather simple formula to grade by, but I wondered what the coaches use??? Any thoughts???

What I use goes like this:

=========================================

Pluses:

(1) Points scored = + Points Scored

(2) Rebound = +1

(3) Assist = +1

(4) Jump ball caused while on defense +1

(5) Steal = +2

(6) Assist leading to steal = +1

Minuses:

(1) Jump ball caused while on offense = -1

(2) Turnover = -2

(3) Turnover leading to points = -2 -points scored on that possession.

(4) Having to call timeout to save trapped player = -1

(5) Offensive Missed Block Out = -1

(6) Defensive Missed Block Out = -2

Theory:

If a player consistently rates negative, it's time to give someone else a shot at it.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!

kw

I have always had a rather simple formula to grade by, but I wondered what the coaches use??? Any thoughts???

Pluses:

(2) Rebound = +1

(3) Assist = +1

(5) Steal = +2

Minuses:

(2) Turnover = -2

Theory:

If a player consistently rates negative, it's time to give someone else a shot at it.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!

kw

While all rating systems have errors- like you do not consider defensive errors/missed shots/running the offense/solid defense- it is the coach's decision.

Are you a coach that is asking for opinions on how to rate players or an upset parent over your daughters playing time. Seems like it may be the latter, weren't you the one complaining about Coach Muckle at LC? Didn't you take your daughter somewhere else to play, and last but not least are you dissatisfied about your present coach.

Edited by harpethindianfan

Coaches also study the game film, and they see all the missed assignments that are not evident to the casual fan. They also see the little things they do well, and they see the player everyday in practice. They like good defense, hustle, fight for the loose balls and all the things that sometimes are not on a stat sheet. <_<

While all rating systems have errors- like you do not consider defensive errors/missed shots/running the offense/solid defense- it is the coach's decision.

Are you a coach that is asking for opinions on how to rate players or an upset parent over your daughters playing time. Seems like it may be the latter, weren't you the one complaining about Coach Muckle at LC? Didn't you take your daughter somewhere else to play, and last but not least are you dissatisfied about your present coach.

I wonder why the question about how coaches rate players would ellicit such a response as above. I think it is legitimate to ask how coaches rate players. Sometimes it is not obvious to fans that a player is making a contribution, while a coach may think they are making huge contributions: sometimes called "intangibles". Even if a player is seemingly just running up and down the floor, they could still be having some negative (or positive) impact on their team's performance in ways that don't always show up in the stats. Kwright, I think your question is a good one and legitimate to ask. <_<

Edited by hedgehog

Well, where do I start. First let me say that while I have not looked to see when you became a member on this board, I am hoping you are new so that you have an excuse for making wild accusations for which there is no foundation. But, then again, that is what boards are I guess. So here goes my answers to your questions:

(1) On the rating, I know my system is simple and flawed, that was the reason for the question.

(2) I do not count shots missed, but if I had time during a game I would chart the shots and possibly add a minus for a really bad shot. Never really wanted my girls to worry about taking a shot because if you don't take em ....... you know.

(3) I do love defense, but don't really know how to grade unless looking at film and I never had that so....

(4) For the good stuff... Well I have coached on and off for 33 years but I don't know of many people that would really call me a coach <_< Except for the years I helped at Coffman (not really coaching just cheer leading mostly) and the years I coached in AAU for the Express (thanks again Michael and Anthony for the chance, still the most fun I ever had), all my other exploits have been in youth and Saturday leagues and mens' leagues etc...

(5) You nailed me on the upset parent thing. I am very upset with what has happened to our program at Lawrence County. It is hard to lose 10 players, 3 of which were starters and 3 of which are starting at other schools this year and doing very well. I am upset because my daughter quit because I don't get to be around the team as much as I want.

My daughter did play for coach Muckle at Lawrence County her Freshmen year and made it through a couple of camps this Summer before giving it up. Playing time.... nope, I have never been upset over my daughters playing time except for her 8th grade year at Coffman but that seems so long ago and had nothing to do with coach Muckle. Ask anyone including coach Muckle what I always said about my daughters ability. I quote " If she works her butt off, maybe by her Junior year she can help the team with good minutes of support". My daughter played AAU for me for 2 or 3 years and got very little playing time because I had better players on the bench!!!!!!! Please find a post made by me saying anything but good things about coach Muckle and I will gladly remove it and apologize.

(6) We did not go anywhere else. We love Lawrence County, still go to school there and support the team. We have been at every game(home and away) except two , where we had previous commitments. I hope not to miss another game, I love these girls.

(7) As far as being dissatisfied with coach Muckle, I can only answer this way. I think he is a good man with good intentions that moved his family to take a job not many others wanted. He has done things I don't like and God only knows I wish everything could be back to the way it was before. Coach Muckle can teach basketball, his practice sessions are some of the best I have ever seen. Just ask around, I have told a lot of people this , so surely you can find someone to let you know I am telling the truth here. I don't like his game coaching, but he is the coach and this like most of the rest of this is just my opinion. So enough already.................

HOOPS TO YA ANYWAY AND I THINK HARPETH ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

kw

No offense kw, but I try to follow all of the good teams, especially those playing Harpeth. No you have not said anything down right derogatory about LC, but it seems you always get your barbs in. Alot of coaches have been through there and some coaches wouldn't go there, because expectations are to high.

Sorry, but I do take offense when someone runs wild with accusations. I don't think I could have said anything any more plain that what I have. I also have said it with my name and contact info attached so that I am not hiding behind a mask as most everyone on this board does. For all I know, you are from Lawrence County and just trying to keep something stirred up. If so you have got what you wanted from me. I am what I am and I believe what I believe and the rest of the world can agree or not. That's just the way it is. I would like to be the whole worlds friend but I don't think that is in the cards.

We have had a few coaches the past few years, but in my opinion (and I am speaking for myself) none of the coaching moves were really necessary. Expectations are only too high if you expect more from a team than they can achieve. I don't think for a moment, that more has been asked of a coach or a team (since I have been watching Lawrence County ball) than can be achieved. We have had a very good run of talent at this school for a long time, we have been very blessed.

kw

Pluses:

(2) Rebound = +1

(3) Assist = +1

(5) Steal = +2

Minuses:

(2) Turnover = -2

Theory:

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!

kw

I think that you got a nice system. I use my palm with a Digital Scout program. I like the use of deflections and taking a charge stats. I use my stats for my own use but parents come and ask me how certain players did after the games. But I tell them this my perspective of the game.

I have watch Muckle coach travel ball & HS. Now I have not seen his practice but you can see his teaching as the game goes along. It seem like the team is doing better. Is that not so? No you are not at the top but at least your no at the bottom. It all really matters when tournament time comes around. If you win you play another day if you lose you stay home until next year.

Keep up your good support. More schools need people like your wife and you. :blink:

I think that you got a nice system. I use my palm with a Digital Scout program. I like the use of deflections and taking a charge stats. I use my stats for my own use but parents come and ask me how certain players did after the games. But I tell them this my perspective of the game.

I have watch Muckle coach travel ball & HS. Now I have not seen his practice but you can see his teaching as the game goes along. It seem like the team is doing better. Is that not so? No you are not at the top but at least your no at the bottom. It all really matters when tournament time comes around. If you win you play another day if you lose you stay home until next year.

Keep up your good support. More schools need people like your wife and you. :huh:

First, I thank everyone for their help on the thread topic.

I don't know how Muckle ball got into this thread, but when someone makes stupid accusations against me or my family, I kinda lose it. I have most likely just been duped by someone that could care less about our program but that pea brain you see in my picture is really about the size of my brain that's why I picked it :huh:

To answer your questions:

The team has done much better this year than I expected. I picked them 5th in the district and last week they were playing for a tie for first. That has changed since we hit the road, but it could change again. Legs and fouls are our biggest enemy.

Schools don't need more people like me, they need more people like our players and their parents. Those are the people that have earned and deserve our respect.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!!!! Big Khuna Night Is Finally Here!!!!!!!

kw