Watauga Conference

hard_ball1

For the past few seasons no one in the Watauga Conference has given Unicoi County "a run for their money." What makes everyone think that Elizabethton is finally going to step up to the plate this season? Unicoi County WILL be the team to beat.

As I have said before, softball is a game about showing up (as is most any sport). Any team can be beaten on an "off day," on a day they do not show up. Elizabethton has improved enormously in the past few years and has closed the gap between Unicoi and everyone in the conference more than any other team. So that would be why many believe if any team could surpass the Lady Devils, the Cyclones would have the greatest chance.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eliz has, without a doubt, narrowed the gap between themselves and UC. Only playing the games will tell the truth as to where each stand 'this season' and I wouldn't 'count out' anyone else in the conference at this point. Overlooking anyone breeds demise.

Edited by GLee

Everything said is true. Elizabethton is the team to beat Unicoi this year, and I believe that if they play with their heart and as a team, it can and will b done. Unicoi has always been the team to beat, and throughout the years, Elizabethton has always came close, but they fall apart when Unicoi starts scoring..If Elizabethton comes to play, it should be a very close game! Good luck ladies.

Everything said is true. Elizabethton is the team to beat Unicoi this year, and I believe that if they play with their heart and as a team, it can and will b done. Unicoi has always been the team to beat, and throughout the years, Elizabethton has always came close, but they fall apart when Unicoi starts scoring..If Elizabethton comes to play, it should be a very close game! Good luck ladies.

I think the games really come down to how Erwin plays. If the Lady Devils are on their game, there is no doubt they will come out on top. And you can bet money those girls will be fired up once April 4th roles around. The team to beat Unicoi is Unicoi. If you really look at any of their losses over the past 2 years, the outcome of those games was truly determined by Erwin and how they played, how they reacted to situations. Rarely do they ever play their very best for 7 innings and still get beat. Unicoi holds their fate in their own hands. If they come out and play their kind of softball from the first pitch all the way through to the final out, nobody in this area will overcome them.

Either way...only time will tell.

Edited by hard_ball1

I think the games really come down to how Erwin plays. If the Lady Devils are on their game, there is no doubt they will come out on top. And you can bet money those girls will be fired up once April 4th roles around. The team to beat Unicoi is Unicoi. If you really look at any of their losses over the past 2 years, the outcome of those games was truly determined by Erwin and how they played, how they reacted to situations. Rarely do they ever play their very best for 7 innings and still get beat. Unicoi holds their fate in their own hands. If they come out and play their kind of softball from the first pitch all the way through to the final out, nobody in this area will overcome them.

Either way...only time will tell.

"Hard Ball"

Games are usually determined by the way a team plays and rarely does any team get beat if they play their very best for 7 innings.

Got any more tid-bits of wisdom?

My point...

In the post that I quoted before, the statement that "Elizabethton can be and will be the team to beat Erwin" (or something to that nature) was made. My focus was on the "will be" part.

Yes, it does come down to how one team plays...and judging by the abilities of Unicoi, an Elizabethton victory would most likely only occur with Unicoi playing poorly, not showing up. The only team that beats Unicoi, is Unicoi.

I do feel like if any team in the conference was to beat the Lady Devils, it would be the Cyclones, hands down, but even that will be tough. You see, if the Devils have any weakness, it's that sometimes they play on the opposing team's level. i.e. the game against the Warriors at Happy Valley last year. BUT when they play a team that could pose as a threat to them, like Elizabethton, Unicoi, for whatever reason, plays above their own level.

I will say this, if the Cyclones pull the upset this year, they should be careful. Knowing the Blue Devils, they won't take that loss lightly. They will carry a very heavy chip on their shoulder until the next meeting.

Edited by hard_ball1

Got to see Elizabethton play some this weekend in Johnson City along with other teams.... I'm going with Unicoi.... The team that shows up to play ball will come out on top and the one that want's it more.... All the teams are going to be good but, I think Unicoi will be hard to handle.... Time will tell all.... :D