Div. 1 Dream Team vs. Div. II Dream Team

FromFieldtoPitch

It was only a matter of time, I guess, for this old topic to be rehashed again with this year’s winners. I suppose the original poster’s intent was well intentioned; however, the thread inevitably has degenerated into discussing pointless hypothetical matches between opponents who will never actually see each other. Normally, I would refrain from posting, but since a large portion of this thread involves my brother Dean and accusations that a “Mr. Smith” is a poster, I felt obligated to at least save some face.

A match between Dean and Creagan (or any other of the fantasy match ups) would have been nice; however, now that the season is over, such a discussion really does nothing more than undermine both their championships. Even trying to analyze common opponents or tournament credentials does nothing more than insult other wrestlers who aren’t even involved in the original fiction.

Creagen is a very impressive wrestler and undefeated. Tolbert clearly came into his own at the state. Joslin would have had a great chance at being in the finals had he not been injured all season. Dean is undefeated and one of four Tennessee wrestlers to win McCaulie, where he beat both the Ga. 5A 1st and 4th placers. As a result threads like these only undermine each of their achievements.

Lastly, to prophesize the result of hypothetical matches really doesn’t benefit anyone. And I say prophesize because that’s what posts like this are:

“D-1 wins 32-9, with D-2 only winning at 125, 135, 171.”

Message boards are great at making it real easy to make bold statements with absolutely no factual support.

Daniel Smith

good reply - you Smith boys have proven to be good competition over the past 7/8 years and obviously have a good perspective on things - good luck to you and congrats to your brother-JT

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Red77 @ Feb 22 2006 - 09:37 AM) *

Why is it everyone thinks Frankie Morgan beats Derek Walker, when Derek handled Frankie fairly easily already this year?

Frankie allready beat Minwell that beat the Baylor kid

Walker beat Morgan 5-3 on 12/2/05

Minwell beat Walker 4-2 on 12/16/05

Morgan beat Minwell at the state tournament 4-3

Walker beat Marcum ( FRA) 11-7 on 1/14/06

Morgan beat Marcum at state tournament 5-2

Morgan beat Romano ( SD) at state tournament 9-2

Walker beat Romano 24-7 on 12/1/05

Walker beat Reviez 6-4 on 1/21/06

Morgan lost to Reviez in close matches ( couldn't find actual results so this is based on comments in prior posts)

So, Walker beat Morgan in close match early in the season. Morgan beat Minwell ( who beat Walker) in close match at state tournament at end of season but Walker beat Reviez ( who beat Morgan twice) in close match late in the season. Both of them beat Marcum and Romano.

All I know is it has all the makings of a darn good match. This is why we all hate the D-I/D-II split in the Traditional State Tournament. It robs us of a potential match with a state championship on the line between these two outstanding wrestlers.

Gosh guys, had I known my choices for table workers and refs would have generated so much comment, I would not have tried to fill those slots with specific individuals. Be that as it may, here is my stab at the results of this match.

First, I have to make a correction. I meant to start the match at "125" instead of starting at "152" as appears on my post setting up this match. My bad. I'm all thumbs with the typewriter, and I inadvertantly reversed the 2 and the 5. So, I'm starting with 125 and finishing with 119, Adamson v. Simpson.

I like the picks by Mocsfan up to the last weight, 119. So, without going through his picks weight by weight, when 119 starts its 7 wins for D-I and 6 wins for D-II, with the match still up for grabs pending the outcome at 119. At that point, I'm not as sure as Mocsfan about what happens. Here is what I see:

Simpson is ahead of Adamson 10-9 with only seconds left. The wrestlers are on the edge of the mat, near the scorer's table. Simpson is in control, but just barely. Adamson has come out from underneath and is trying desperately to reverse or eascape. Simpson has a grip on Adamson's leg that is clearly slipping loose as the clock ticks down the final seconds.

Mara and Bowler are calling the match---as noted by downforthecount, Simpson has to sit this one out with his nephew on the mat. Mara is the primary ref. Stovepipe is towel boy for this one -----------BCB has to sit this one out because Adamson is on the mat. With the whole " whose better, D-I or D-II " question on the line, the crowd is loud and going crazy. No one can hear anything. The only ones not screaming are the coaches (Simpson and Mullins), both of whom have already been warned for too much talking from the chairs and told that the next word would cost them team points.

As the clock winds down to two seconds, Mara is leaning over the wrestlers signaling that Simpson is still in control. The roar of the crowd is deafening. Stovepipe, busy jawing back and forth with BCB, jumps up from his seat a little late to do his job. BCB, still upset with Stove's comments about his beloved Green Irish and his 99% apology ( see post titled "God I Love This Sport, Bearcat's Swan Song"), trips Stovepipe as he goes to the mat. All at the same time, sort of like the perfect storm, the clock hits zero, a buzzer that nobody can hear goes off, Stovepipe, stumbling from BCB's trip, hits Bowler instead of Mara with the towel, distracting Bowler who thinks he has been hit by someone or something from the crowd, Adamson breaks free of Simpson, and Mara, who can't hear the buzzer or see the clock and feels no towel tap, throws up one for an escape for Adamson which would tie the score.

Mara looks at Bowler to see if the point should stand or not. Bowler, staring at Stovepipe with a look that could kill, tells Mara he isn't sure because he turned to see who or what had unexpectedly hit him. Stovepipe is looking at BCB mouthing the words "I'm going to kill you", but BCB is staring down at the floor looking at no one. Mara and Bowler go to the scorer's table to find out from Sommers, the clock operator, and Walkenvol, the official scorer, whether the points were good. Much to their dismay, Sommers and Walkenvol both sheepishly admit that they don't know for sure because, instead of watching the match, they were arguing with each other about............well, by now, you guys who have been posting on this board know what and who they argue about. Mara says something like "I knew I should have retired a year earlier".

With looks of disgust to everyone at the scorer's table, Mara and Bowler turn to the one person left in an official capacity who might be able to make a ruling as to what happened and settle the issue. That person is the third referee, Simpson, who has been sitting in a chair matside observing the entire match. He has seen everything and can make the call. Mara and Bowler go over and huddle with him. After what seems like an eternity, they break the huddle and head to the scorer's table. The decision made after consulting with Simpson is...............................

Sorry, you guys will have to come back to this board next season to find out what happened when I have had time to finish this story or, as some of you are so frequently inclined to do, post your own opinion as to what call was made and which side prevailed, D-I or D-II.

A classic. But...............................

I think we all ( the Irish Nation) have come to the conclusion that Sissypipe would never and has never been on a wrestling mat. Let me take that back, I do recall when he was a cheerleader he did sit on the mat cheering for all those boys. And if he had been down there, after Jay had defeated JMS the crowd would have seen a true butt whupping that old BCB would open up on the Nashville Boy.

Buck you have just taken the lead for the season ending IrishDad award. Congrats

Along with WV, I enjoy reading your posts the most.

BCB

Walker beat Morgan 5-3 on 12/2/05

Minwell beat Walker 4-2 on 12/16/05

Morgan beat Minwell at the state tournament 4-3

Walker beat Marcum ( FRA) 11-7 on 1/14/06

Morgan beat Marcum at state tournament 5-2

Morgan beat Romano ( SD) at state tournament 9-2

Walker beat Romano 24-7 on 12/1/05

Walker beat Reviez 6-4 on 1/21/06

Morgan lost to Reviez in close matches ( couldn't find actual results so this is based on comments in prior posts)

So, Walker beat Morgan in close match early in the season. Morgan beat Minwell ( who beat Walker) in close match at state tournament at end of season but Walker beat Reviez ( who beat Morgan twice) in close match late in the season. Both of them beat Marcum and Romano.

All I know is it has all the makings of a darn good match. This is why we all hate the D-I/D-II split in the Traditional State Tournament. It robs us of a potential match with a state championship on the line between these two outstanding wrestlers.

no disrespect to any wrestlers in matches that are not going to happen , but i will say derek walker learned a valuable lesson last year and was not to be denied this year- he came out focused and wrestled as good as I have seen him wrestle in three years - whomever he would have wrestled in these hypothetical match-ups would have had there hands full- congrats to morgan , walker and all the other 89's and Buck your right same age , same weight, one division = wrestling at it's best - JT

Edited by deaddux

Reviez did not beat Morgan this season,Morgan only lost one match this season that was to Walker. I can state this as a fact.

As noted I based my comparison on this earlier post by MB:

"I think Frankie was i the zone at State. He faced Shane Reviez twice this year and each match was close. "

If that was incorrect, thanks for setting the record straight.

Here is what I have:

103: Randolph over Francis

112: Johnson over Whitaker

119: Simpson over Adamson

125: Johnson over Usary

130: Bundy over Young

135: Manson over Fuller

140: Young over Holliman

145: Felix over Doster

152: Spain over Waddel

160: Smith over Creagon

171: Bateman over Roberson

189: Walker over Morgan

215: Coffey over Reveiz

275: Vandergriff over Green

I think D-II would win.

Here is what I have:

103: Randolph over Francis

112: Johnson over Whitaker

119: Simpson over Adamson

125: Johnson over Usary

130: Bundy over Young

135: Manson over Fuller

140: Young over Holliman

145: Felix over Doster

152: Spain over Waddel

160: Smith over Creagon

171: Bateman over Roberson

189: Walker over Morgan

215: Coffey over Reveiz

275: Vandergriff over Green

I think D-II would win.

Not that it would likely change the outcome but the DI 152 champ was not Justin Spain. Brandon Wright won that match and would be competing against Waddel...