Knox Halls -How do they look this year?

LEONARDSLOSERS

I really belive halls will do well but know one really exspects them to do much, that could be a strong point.

Yep thats their trump card. They could be overlooked quite easily. If the weight room has its effect on these kids with a good off season program and if Halls will finally get involved in a passing league for their QBs & receivers going one on one with quality corners from other schools they could gain a edge they haven't had in a while. Missing three year starter Lucas at the helm may excelerate this thought. They have lost a ton of talent but there are kids waiting to show they have something to prove as a Red Devil. The future looks bright for the program. ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leonard didnt Halls beat West last year. They were in the playoffs which no one really expected. Everyone had Maryville, Central, Powell, and West on their lists. His put fanies back in the seats and has struck interest back in the program which was spirling down hill very quickly. Some pretty good comparisons to Pearl, in my opinion anyway. Pearl winning at Rupp would not have nearly been impressive if Halls won at Maryville. Kentucky is down this year. He competed with every team he played with far less talent.

Under a different thread someone recongnized the strength of the halls super midget program and how important it is to the success of the high school program. The halls feeder (rec.) program has always been, as bad as I hate to admit, over all better than ours as well as anyone elses. Under julian i'm afraid, the strong feeder program will now be reflected in your high school. The comparison with Pearl has already been made with julian and it just shows getting the right HC for the job will make a huge difference. I believe we need a julian type at PHS.

Under a different thread someone recongnized the strength of the halls super midget program and how important it is to the success of the high school program. The halls feeder (rec.) program has always been, as bad as I hate to admit, over all better than ours as well as anyone elses. Under julian i'm afraid, the strong feeder program will now be reflected in your high school. The comparison with Pearl has already been made with julian and it just shows getting the right HC for the job will make a huge difference. I believe we need a julian type at PHS.

Excellent post. A successful high school team depends on coaching in the younger years to excelerate the talent at a early age to perform on friday nights. We will see this year if that has paid off for Halls. Both sides of the ball will be dominated by juniors and sophomores. If they gel this year think of the possibilities next year. :o

Excellent post. A successful high school team depends on coaching in the younger years to excelerate the talent at a early age to perform on friday nights. We will see this year if that has paid off for Halls. Both sides of the ball will be dominated by juniors and sophomores. If they gel this year think of the possibilities next year. :lol:

A key for Julian will be the ability to keep those Halls supermidget players at home and have them actually enroll at Halls. Over the last few years too many of the better players have been getting away to other schools. We all know who they are and where they've gone to. If Kevin can keep them at Halls it will help him to build that program back to where everyone in Halls wants and expects them to be.

Edited by HTV

HTV just from prior posts in years past I assume you are connected to Powell. Are they in a similar situation as Halls this year?

Also hows the coaching search coming along?Will they try to promote from within like Halls did with Julian or search elsewhere? What is your gut feeling?

HTV just from prior posts in years past I assume you are connected to Powell. Are they in a similar situation as Halls this year?

Also hows the coaching search coming along?Will they try to promote from within like Halls did with Julian or search elsewhere? What is your gut feeling?

Similar situation as to personnel? If that's what you mean, Powell probably has just a bit more coming back. They've got two big lineman (Bruhin and McGaha) who will both be D1-A signees, a running back in Huffaker who has rushed for about 1,500 yards over the last two years combined splitting time with Jay Courtney, and a solid middle linebacker/fullback in Jordan Lakin, who is getting attention from some really good D1-AA programs right now.

Obviously they have to fill the quarterback slot. Matt Abba, when he's been healthy, has played well in a backup role and played the entire varsity game against Clinton last fall year and got a win, and yes I know it was Clinton, but he graded out at nearly 100%. He's the leading candidate to fill the role.

Going in to spring the main question marks appear to be defensive end (to replace the departing Smith and Galyon), both corners, and a couple of linebacker spots.

The offensive line looks strong, as does defensive tackle. Safety looks to be in pretty good shape. The receiving corps returns several players who contributed as sophomores or juniors last year.

Like Halls, there is a lot of talent there, but it's young talent.

As for the coaching position, the only member of the current staff who has applied is Matt Lowe. He looks to be in the "final 3" for the position. Honestly, the position is still up for grabs. The final 3 are to be interviewed in the next few days. Something could happen in the next week to 10 days, from what I understand.

Thanks for all the factual info that puts us in the front row. I remember Jay Courtney last year, he was a good looking back and running behind the big boys Bruhin & McGaha he will no doubt excel again. I think we are one year behind you in our experience level. Perhaps our most experienced players are in our offensive line & receiving corp. But the big question mark for us is QB & defense. I think during spring practice this will be the main focal point.

We were totally deceimated on defense losing all eleven starters. The call to arms for Kevin Julian will be to firm this up fast. I think he puts all his energy here because this is his baby and lets Don Ward work his magic on the offensive side of the ball.

In conclusion, all aspects of the Red Devils will have a new look even down to the new red helmets. I also agree with your earlier post we will be a work in progress and gain experience as we go. My thoughts are it could be tough for us early on but we will be tougher by seasons end. I don't think the #4 spot is unattainable for our group but they will have to play to their strengths and learn by any mistakes they make along the way. There will be no free lunches this go round. :thumb:

Thanks for all the factual info that puts us in the front row. I remember Jay Courtney last year, he was a good looking back and running behind the big boys Bruhin & McGaha he will no doubt excel again. I think we are one year behind you in our experience level. Perhaps our most experienced players are in our offensive line & receiving corp. But the big question mark for us is QB & defense. I think during spring practice this will be the main focal point.

We were totally deceimated on defense losing all eleven starters. The call to arms for Kevin Julian will be to firm this up fast. I think he puts all his energy here because this is his baby and lets Don Ward work his magic on the offensive side of the ball.

In conclusion, all aspects of the Red Devils will have a new look even down to the new red helmets. I also agree with your earlier post we will be a work in progress and gain experience as we go. My thoughts are it could be tough for us early on but we will be tougher by seasons end. I don't think the #4 spot is unattainable for our group but they will have to play to their strengths and learn by any mistakes they make along the way. There will be no free lunches this go round. :thumb:

Jay's a senior. Wish he had another year. Huffy will carry the load!

Does anyone have any idea who will replace Lucas at QB for Halls next year?

You have two juniors Gary Cooper & Tyler Clifton. At least one sophomore in the mix in Tyler Turner. I name these three and there very well may be more, but these show the potential to lead the squad this year from the get go. Cooper & Turner may have the edge in height and stronger arms. Tyler's advantage may lie in his running the offense and his foot skills.

In my opinion none of these QB's could take the punishment Trey Lucas did last year in throwing while rolling out. Lucas had a great year but he paid the price in many games even after throwing the successful TD pass. It might mean either limited passing or Deeper drop backs for more protection from the offensive line.