Best all-time wrestler

1Irish1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that two of Tennessee's best came out of middle TN and another near Sewanee years ago (1960's) Yogi would remember.

I believe one was by the name of Jones that was one of Dan Gable few losses in his life (off season between his Jr. and Sr. years in Florida against Sun kiss); I don't think it was Allan though :( .

Another was Charles McTorry who I'm not sure anyone has done more, at least at HS level Nationally. Wasn't McTorry the first TN wrestler to win first place in a Nat'l prep tournament (see below)* and may still be the only one to do so from TN?

And went on to be a fine wrestler for Nebraska (He didn't stop Cael his fresman year though; but who did?).

*Senior National Championships 1995

1. Charles McTorry (Tennessee)

2. Pat Popolizio (New York)

3. Joel Goeden (Minnesota)

4. Josh Cruzan (Oklahoma)

5. Oscar Gonzalez (California)

6. Spike Reynolds (Colorado)

7. Kenny Howard (North Dakota)

8. Chris Harrington (Florida)

also won the following awards...

# Order of Merit

# Medal of Courage

# Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award

# Lifetime Service To Wrestling

Another was Charles McTorry who I'm not sure anyone has done more, at least at HS level Nationally. Wasn't McTorry the first TN wrestler to win first place in a Nat'l prep tournament (see below)* and may still be the only one to do so from TN?

*Senior National Championships 1995

1. Charles McTorry (Tennessee)

Oh how quickly we forget,

Not to knock McTorry (he was amazing in his own right), but he is not the only TN wretler to win Senior Nationals... a young, red-headed man by the name of Jordan Leen accomplished this feat no less that two years ago.

A few other recent place winners are:

8) Chris Kelly @ 119

4) Jeff Loyd @ 103

7) Kamani Brown @ 135

6) Markese Nelson @ 160

8) Duncan Cave @ 275

8) Josh West @ 112

6)Matt McCarty @ 135, Clarksville, TN

2)Phillip Simpson @ 135, Nashville, TN

4)Kevin Ward @ 152, Hixson, TN

4)Rusty Blackmon @ 189, Cleveland, TN

3)Matt Keller @ 125, Cleveland, TN

6)Jake Yost @ 140, Soddy Daisy, TN

3) Blake Tinsley @ 103

8) Jimmy Hiller @ 119

1) Jordan Leen @ 130

7) Ryan Scott @ 140

Oh how quickly we forget,

Not to knock McTorry (he was amazing in his own right), but he is not the only TN wretler to win Senior Nationals... a young, red-headed man by the name of Jordan Leen accomplished this feat no less that two years ago.

A few other recent place winners are:

8) Chris Kelly @ 119

4) Jeff Loyd @ 103

7) Kamani Brown @ 135

6) Markese Nelson @ 160

8) Duncan Cave @ 275

8) Josh West @ 112

6)Matt McCarty @ 135, Clarksville, TN

2)Phillip Simpson @ 135, Nashville, TN

4)Kevin Ward @ 152, Hixson, TN

4)Rusty Blackmon @ 189, Cleveland, TN

3)Matt Keller @ 125, Cleveland, TN

6)Jake Yost @ 140, Soddy Daisy, TN

3) Blake Tinsley @ 103

8) Jimmy Hiller @ 119

1) Jordan Leen @ 130

7) Ryan Scott @ 140

As soon as I saw red headed, I was embarrassed. Good catch!!

I've heard that two of Tennessee's best came out of middle TN and another near Sewanee years ago (1960's) Yogi would remember. [qoute]

Somms----You are thinking of Bill Harlow, who wrestled at St. Andrews in the old Mid South Prep School Association, which included Baylor and McCallie among other members . Harlow was an NCAA champion in 1966 for Oklahoma State at 191. Had a brother named Butch who also wrestled at St. Andrews who was pretty good himself. I can't confirm that Bill was a 5 time champ in the Mid South, but as I recall he was a 4 timer. He wrestled back in the days when the Mid South allowed "post graduates" so it is possible that he competed 5 years. I don't think St. Andrews had a middle school at that time so I don't think he would have wrestled up as an 8th grader. Bill also finished 2nd in the NCAA in 1964 and second again in 1965 at 177. He was a three time NCAA Division I All-American and a two-time USA Senior Freestyle Champion (1970 and 1974, at 198 ). Prior to Phillip Simpson achieving that lofty staus, Harlow was the only NCAA Division I All-American from Tennessee. He is still the only NCAA Division I Champion, to my knowledge. Harlow has been inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame-----I think he might be the only former Tennessee high school wrestler in it. Score one for us old ( really old) guys.

Irish1-----you are right, this topic did appear before. Back on Decmebr 10, 2002, Somms buddy Rabbit ( I miss their Clarksville v. Soddy posts from earlier this season after Slamfest) started the same post. Interestingly, basically the same list of names appear on that post, except that back then we were all wishing Phillip would become Tennessee's second All-American, which of course he did, and Jordan Leen had not accomplished all that he did in the seasons following that post.

Edited by BuckLateral

What about Howard Langford. Someone said Bill Harlow was the only all American until Simpson but i believe Howard langford was an All american. We cant forget Randy Batten, 3x ncaa div II national champion. I know it was division II but back then there were about three times as many college teams as there is today. he was way before my time but I have been told he regularly beat div I all americans. Does anyone know if this is true?

What about Howard Langford. Someone said Bill Harlow was the only all American until Simpson but i believe Howard langford was an All american. We cant forget Randy Batten, 3x ncaa div II national champion. I know it was division II but back then there were about three times as many college teams as there is today. he was way before my time but I have been told he regularly beat div I all americans. Does anyone know if this is true?

Didnt David Vance place or win the senior nationals in 91 or so?

He's not from Tennessee, but actually from Charlotte, NC. If you're talking the greatest wrestler of all-time, it would have to be the 16 time Heavy Weight Champion of the World. "The limosine riding, jet flying, kiss stealing, wheeling dealing, son of a gun. " The one and only, "the Nature Boy" Ric Flair. "Whooooo!"

No wrestler in the history of the sport dating all the way back to Gene Hackensmit has had more a successful career than the Nature Boy.