Region Winner doesn't get Home court for Substate!

Vanman011

FRA played Moore County a little while ago. I want to say 3 years or so, I can't remember exactly, but I know I was there. I always thought that yall played at Motlow State all the time. That gym was covered with Moore Co. stuff. A great environment too!

No....Moore County has a gym on campus just a few miles up the road from Motlow. The Motlow gym was covered with Moore County stuff because we decided that, instead of griping and groaning about the situation, we would make the best of it and have fun with it. We made huge signs to cover everything, including replicas of all the retired jerseys and banners and such from the Moore County gym. If our girls weren't going to be able to play in their home gym, we were going to darn well make sure we made it feel as homey as possible. Unfortunately, FRA upset us. So the next year, they played the substate game at Eagleville, which is a MUCH further distance from MCHS than Motlow and is actually just as close to FRA. They had just played the region tourney there and felt comfortable with that gym, as they rarely if ever normally used Motlow's facilities. The outcome was in our favor that time.

So instead of being sour about the situation, just make the best of it. The ultimate goal is a state championship, which can't be won on anyone's home floor.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I call it the Gleason/Bradford rule -- two small, PUBLIC schools in West Tennessee. One school or the other played sub-state at home just about every year in the '90s. Bradford's gym seats maybe 500. Gleason's old gym seated maybe a couple hundred more, but not much (their new gym is more than sufficient, however). With a sub-state game being held at one of these places, people were lining up as early as 2:00 just to get a seat. Literally the whole town would turn out for one of these games -- and some of them wouldn't even get in. This, of course, left NO seats for the visitors.

The rule change is to ensure that most everyone that wants to watch a sub-state game can. This has nothing to do with the public-private debate.