USJ Athletics in trouble!

OC_ALUM_94

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With no affiliation at all but a knowledge of the process, the blame can fall on the shoulders of the athletic director. A coach turns in the list of students for eligibility and the athletic director must check EACH MONTH with the finance office to find out if any athletes are in jeopardy. It is then the job of the A.D. to report to the coach and parents of which kids are in jeopardy. MOST private schools do an excellent job of this! If USJ dropped the ball the first questions/blame should go to the Office of the Athletic Director. Once again it is sad that kids have to suffer for this mistake.

why do you not blame parents they knew their kids tutition was not paid. they knew the rules. they knew they would win. they knew the consequences. why didnt they do something about it. if you want to be mad be mad at everyone. you were on the team, did you not know one of them had not paid. every one in town new it. did they just think they would get away with it. seems like a long time reporting it.

Not once did a parent come to me and say I am behind in my tuition.

I guess who ever it was told everyone in town but me.

it may not be his responsibility but a good coach checks

I doubt that the coaches had direct access to the info. Access to such information is very restricted for confidentiality reasons. USJ admitted there were shortcommings in their procedures and have put new procedures in place that will prevent this unfortunate situation from happening again. The coaches and players did absolutely nothing wrong. Anyone that says the coaches have some responsibility are way off base.

Edited by necvol

No, nobody cheated on anything. The facts are two students were 60+ days late on tuition which makes them ineligible for sports at the D1 level. Whoever handles the tuition/eligibility issues at USJ apparently was not aware of the TSSAA rules and/or did not realize the tardy tuition payment. So, those players who played when they were 60+ days late on payments were ilneligble players. Thus as per TSSAA rules all games those players dressed for have to be forfeited. The two seasons affected are the '05 Baseball and '05 Football season. In the letter passed at last night USJ stated that all baseball players are currently caught up on tuition, and that this will have no impact on any upcoming sports season.

On a side note, 101.5 FM this morning was reporting that USJ was recruiting players and offering them scholarships. Both commentators mentioned that what they were reporting was what they "heard," and that neither actually knew "anything about how private schools work" or had actually read the article in the Jackson Sun. That, my friends, is wreckless journalism. For those looking to be mad at someone, be angry with a radio station that passes along sensational gossip without making any effort of knowing the facts of a situation.

As far as the topic as to who is to blame, well it looks like those at fault have already been dealt with.

So with USJ losing the championship will Friendship get it or will there be no champion form last year? And whether or not you've got the facts about USJ recruiting ,or any school for that matter, everyone pretty much knows they do it. It's not a secret anymore guys.

Edited by DrinkAlone

What really stinks here are all the schools that followed the rules to a "T" and were put out of their respective tournaments by USJ. I have absolutely nothing against USJ personally, I'm a private supporter and will always continue to be. However, this "error" is directly at the heart of what all private schools MUST police on a daily basis. Like someone said earlier ... a simple AR Aging report would have caught this and with TSSAA rules directly addressing this issue ... well, it should have never been an issue for the poor boys at USJ that now will lose their rights to fully claim to be champions.

So with USJ losing the championship will Friendship get it or will there be no champion form last year? And whether or not you've got the facts about USJ recruiting ,or any school for that matter, everyone pretty much knows they do it. It's not a secret anymore guys.

No. FCS will not get the title. It will remain vacant according to the TSSAA. It is a shame that no one, public or private, can truly claim they are 2005 champs now.

As for the recruiting comment. Do you have specific facts regarding recruiting? If so, why haven't you gone to the TSSAA yet. Otherwise, keep you jealous comments to yourself.

With no affiliation at all but a knowledge of the process, the blame can fall on the shoulders of the athletic director. A coach turns in the list of students for eligibility and the athletic director must check EACH MONTH with the finance office to find out if any athletes are in jeopardy. It is then the job of the A.D. to report to the coach and parents of which kids are in jeopardy. MOST private schools do an excellent job of this! If USJ dropped the ball the first questions/blame should go to the Office of the Athletic Director. Once again it is sad that kids have to suffer for this mistake.

amen