WILL FARRAGUT AVENGE THEIR MISFORTUNE?

ZORGON

Tin Man.....So are you saying that playing Marryville all the way to a shootout, Bearden again and again (which has to happen considering both teams are very good and right next to each other), Oak Ridge in a close game which was won in an overtime.... is easy? Of course teams should put teams away...and they did put them away...it just seemed to be very hard games (they weren't 6-0 blowouts, and they couldnt have been because those three teams are very good) How many other schools have to play the state champions or runner-ups to advance to state every year almost 3-4 times each (depending on who wins district and so on)...the injuries, however, were not end of the season injuries...Ruoff was hurt almost the entire season, Helton was out for a decent part of the season, and we still won Regions. they are going to have a good team this year, but i dont think they will have gotten stronger...they will have stayed about the same, considering most of their starters last year were underclassmen.

You can say that history means something, but to say that the only reason a team wants to compete strongly for a state title is because they have won it before is just stupid. Every team starts out fresh at every year...reputations are simply reputations and nothing more. A team can go from winning state to losing its key players and not even returning. Bearden didnt even make it out of districts two years ago and they were a two-time state champion. The teams with the best players will be in state, reputation or not...so how does reputation win games?

i don't believe i said it was easy to even make it to state im saying that Farragut played the games they had to because of their wins or their losses, lost in districts therefore played Oak Ridge, the Maryville game well Bearden tied them last year in a hard played game but going into overtime is just part of the game, and of course the two Bearden/Farragut games were played so i guess i was trying to say that being tired for state is almost always going to happen to every team they have played a whole season plus more games of course they are tired.

As for the hardest schedule, that is the curse of our area and of course the past means nothing so who cares who the past state champions and runners up are? so even you think it has something to do with it, freshmen look up to the older guys for their intensity and desire to win and it is passed on to them, that's just what i saw when i played, maybe knoxville people are just born to strive to win, you move here and the air turns you into a goal scorer i don't know but something is making these players try harder and become better to win year after year and if someone has a reason why please tell me.

i am sorry about the injuries of ruoff and helton, but Beraden had the same problems. are starting right back, James Tottten, caught Mono and was out for the whole season until substate and then got very little time in state and Rico Carter had a skateboarding accident after our firts game with Sevier County and was out for a very long time and never fully recovered therefore not getting alot of playing time so other teams had injuries throughout the seaon as well

if i ever said that reputations win games i apologize but i don't think i did, i said that teams carry the intensity of the past years players and team, so if the last season's team won state the next season's team is going to go for it again hard to keep up the legacy it's school pride, just another factor that motivates people...

look at CAK last year they were the underdogs at the beginning of the season, weren't supposed to win state and i don't know for sure but i bet that they played just a little bit harder knowing that had won state for the past two years and that it is now their turn because they know they can do it, CAK players did it help? or did you guys just go with the flow? ( of course a Brandon Tarr doesn't hurt)... i think i answered all your questions if not please tell me

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's just what i saw when i played

I assume that you are not playing this season. Are you one of the asst. coaches at Bearden?

As far as your other comments, winning is a mindset. You have to be confident with out being cocky. You have to believe in yourself, even if everyone else on Coach T thinks you are the underdog or don't have a chance. Forget about losses, especially early in the season or scrimmages. Yes, it helps if you have won it before, but it doesn't get easier. In fact, I think it gets harder. You have to learn to deal with the pressure on your backs to perform like you did last season. It is easy to get over confident, but then usually someone puts you back on the earth (Farragut helped us with that last year!!!). I don't mind being the underdog. The past 3 seasons we have never gone into the state tourament ranked #1. Rankings are like nice uniforms. They are really nice, they look good and feel good, but they won't win the game for you.

no I'm not an assistant coach.

my name is Craig Cook and i just played for Bearden last year as a center mid #17 with red hair and i am not playing this year due to TSSAA rules.

this reputation thing is getting outa hand all i said is that it helps push the new team to the next season. good gosh i never accused other teams of not playing hard or not wanting to win... what's all this preseason doen't matter i would like to think that teams would push themselves every game they can possibly play.

who ever said that it gets easier? it wasn't me, and i have been accused of saying those words twice now.

Tin Man...I am not saying that all teams just walk on through to state or that Farragut is the only exception to that...i am just saying that the time that Farragut spent playing games last post season (in actual minutes) was more than most teams, if not all teams, had to play....WE werent just tired at that first state game...we were beaten up through out the entire post season by extended games..i am not saying that wasnt OUR own fault..I was simply giving a reason why Farragut is and was a good contender for state...the fact of the matter is that any team can win any year...it doesnt matter if you have won in the past or not.

For the kids around knoxville being good at soccer has to come down to the level of play at the club level. The teams that went through farragut and bearden in the past few years (this year included) are all filled with kids that have won state titles multiple times for their club teams.

I agree more with BigG....the season is wide open, CAK is going to play just as hard as they would if they had lost last year....it is harder to win back to back or three in a row because everyone plays harder against you...they want to knock you off....that is all i have to say about that.

Maybe ill see you walking around on May 21.

no I'm not an assistant coach.

my name is Craig Cook and i just played for Bearden last year as a center mid #17 with red hair and i am not playing this year due to TSSAA rules.

this reputation thing is getting outa hand all i said is that it helps push the new team to the next season. good gosh i never accused other teams of not playing hard or not wanting to win... what's all this preseason doen't matter i would like to think that teams would push themselves every game they can possibly play.

who ever said that it gets easier? it wasn't me, and i have been accused of saying those words twice now.

I think you misunderstood my comments. I was not referring to anything you said, just my opinions of the season. I did not mean to offend, just to answer your questions.

Sorry about the TSSAA thing. You were an outstanding player, and will be sorely missed. Are you going to play in college?

ooh woops sorry for the misunderstanding BigG

Ya i was disappointed i was looking foward to this season, i even went to all the conditionings before i knew i couldn't play but oh well

as for college i am looking to play right now i am looking into cumberland in williamsburg i think i would like it there.

yeah maybe i will see you there fockinmental16

Hey Craig...i thought for sure you were preston just from what you were saying...Kirk Ruoff here. Why couldnt you play this season? I didnt hear anything about it...that stinks though because you gave us a ton of problems in the middle last year...and at Oak Ridge. I think we still give ben lawson crap for that "trash" talking he did when he was like, "Craig you are ugly...it looks like your mom had sex...with your dad" It was the worst thing i had ever heard and he never got the end of it from us for it. He is special i guess, and couldnt find anything else better to say. You will be missed on the field though.

Edited by FockinMental16

haha i almost forgot about that man i didn't even respond because i was in awe of what he just said. Ya he used to talk alot on the field, i think he is doing better now that he is focusing on the game and not talking.

I can't play because TSSAA rules state that a player only has 8 semesters eligibility and this is my 9th semester. I was expelled my sophmore year at Oak Ridge in January, but they don't have block scheduling so i didn't get a credit for the whole first semester and that's why i am in my ninth instead of graduated. Ya i was disappointed but I'm over it now what are you doing this season?

Brentwood did have a good run at the title last year....i dont know about any other teams in MT though. Farragut played BGA a couple of years ago and beat them pretty decisively. I dont know if they have gotten better since then. Bearden is my bet for state this year....unless something goes drastically wrong from now until then, i think they will bring it back to ET.

Uh-oh, what would coach say about that,.. Berden over Farragut.

YOu were great p layer on our team last year,coach always brags on you,but he'll never concede to Bearden, you should come see us play, we might not be as bad as you think.

And the red headed kid from Bearden was a big difference,sorry then not so sorry to see you go, good luck

Not too much...i am going to MTSU now. I chose a school for a major and not for soccer so i ended up here for the Recording Industry program and Business. I still play indoor and pick-up whenever i can, but nothing serious.

I never thought Farragut will get crushed by Bearden..i just think they will edge by just like they did last year against us (no one will get outplayed by the other, it will come down to a 1 goal difference)...I dont think anything bad about Farragut; I love the guys and coach. They were both great to me and I hold so much respect for them..i think once they both get to state though, Bearden will have better luck than farragut...I have a feeling something similar to last year will happen again....but i still hold to the fact that NEXT year is definately Farragut's year. Backstrom and Russell both seniors. Muth will be a junior at back. Pellucci a senior. Holt will have gotten a lot stronger by then (he is a stud now, but that would just make him better) ....plus you will have a larger upperclass grouping (which was a problem for us last year..only having 5 Seniors and 4 Juniors)....it is going to be similar to the Morrow/Krouse days...and the fact that they will have a strong junior class backing them up will make it even better.. I hope no one takes what i said to heart and think that i am some traitor to the team now that i am gone. I have nothing but great things to say about Farragut soccer...I think that the bearden/farragut game is going to be as good as ever this year, and you will see me there. I plan on coming to more whenever i can, but i dont know if i will be able to make em'. And if i am proved wrong about Farragut's luck at state this year, then i am proved wrong and things will be even better...No one should concede to anything. I am just thinking of the team we played last year and who they kept and who we kept....and i think that it will be a battle, but either way..the state title is coming back to East Tennessee this year...one way or the other.

Edited by FockinMental16

Bearden: 5 Final Fours in the last 6 years

Farragut: 2 Final Fours in the last 7 years

Comparing final four appearances for more than the past three years is misleading in that the format changed in 2003. Arguably, Farragut probably would have been the final four in 2000, 2001, and 2002 had the current format been used during those years. The presence of two very strong teams in the same district/region was a motivating factor in going to the current 8-team State format.