Brentwood needs to explain!

4time

"there are bigger rules being violated than that"????

And you are a coach!!!

What does this say about your program?

Are you saying that it is ok to violate some rules as long as they aren't the "BIG" rules?

What are you going off about??? All I am saying is that there are schools that recruit, schools that play that are playing ineligible players, etc.

And I am just saying that those are bigger issues than Brentwood playing Grissom.

Yes I am a Coach!!! And what are you!!!!

It says nothing about my program, because I run a program that abides by the rules of TSSAA. When we played Lakeview Fort Oglethorpe back in the early to mid 90's, I was unaware that it was a violation. And I still don't think it is a big deal!

And no, I did not say that violating some rules are ok. Don't say things for me, or try to read into anything that I say.

Have a nice day bruinsoccer.

As for 4 time. I see your point. But it was just, in MY OPINION, just two high schools playing a match. MY opinion and 50 cents will buy me a newspaper. That is all it is my opinion.

And i agree with sccr11. It is difficult to find common dates with schools from different states. We wanted Dalton to come play us this year, and he was unable to schedule it-- due to he has to play his region matches in March/April and starts post season in late April. So i could see how Brentwood and Grissom scheduled this the way they did. And I too would like to know exactly what rule was broken?? Does anyone know that it is spelled out directly?? Accord to TSSAA, the only requirement is that we have 3 days of practice before a scrimmage. I know of no rule that says that we can not scrimmage a school from a different state.

Everyone, please have a nice day!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you going off about??? All I am saying is that there are schools that recruit, schools that play that are playing ineligible players, etc.

And I am just saying that those are bigger issues than Brentwood playing Grissom.

Yes I am a Coach!!! And what are you!!!!

It says nothing about my program, because I run a program that abides by the rules of TSSAA. When we played Lakeview Fort Oglethorpe back in the early to mid 90's, I was unaware that it was a violation. And I still don't think it is a big deal!

And no, I did not say that violating some rules are ok. Don't say things for me, or try to read into anything that I say.

Have a nice day bruinsoccer.

As for 4 time. I see your point. But it was just, in MY OPINION, just two high schools playing a match. MY opinion and 50 cents will buy me a newspaper. That is all it is my opinion.

And i agree with sccr11. It is difficult to find common dates with schools from different states. We wanted Dalton to come play us this year, and he was unable to schedule it-- due to he has to play his region matches in March/April and starts post season in late April. So i could see how Brentwood and Grissom scheduled this the way they did. And I too would like to know exactly what rule was broken?? Does anyone know that it is spelled out directly?? Accord to TSSAA, the only requirement is that we have 3 days of practice before a scrimmage. I know of no rule that says that we can not scrimmage a school from a different state.

Everyone, please have a nice day!

Actually, newspapers cost about 75 cents now-a-days.

Of course. A lot of teams want to do the same thing.

Here's the problem: You can't do it.

Whether you inadvertantly break a rule or intentionally break a rule, it's illegal. Whether you disagree with it or not, it's illegal.

Whether it is a "big deal" or a "little deal", it's illegal.

Oh, and I WILL have a nice day. I'm right once again. Thanks coach.

Here is the big deal. If this is ok then......

1. Teams could play club teams as long as they were preseason

2. Teams could play college teams " " " "

3. Teams could play overlapping winter seasons such as Florida, Texas ect....

All we want is fair play. Just let the rest of the state experience the same advantage without penalty. If it is not on your record you could play alot of great games and not have it impair your season.

I'm a big fan of "level playing fields" having spent over 30 years playing and coaching youth club, amateurs and high school teams. But, with all due respect, I don't understand why this issue is so critical that "Brentwood" needs to respond to anyone other than the TSSAA if they inquire.

First, I tend to agree with Cree. If it's a rule, it should not have been broken; however, assuming it happened, I don't see the harm in Brentwood playing a pre-season scrimmage against an out-of-state opponent that is already in season. What is the difference to the Tennessee "scrimmaging" team other than facing, maybe, more seasoned competition pre-season? If it truly is a violation of a TSSAA rule, so be it. Let the TSSAA handle it appropriately (if they can figure out how to accomplish that task). I just don't see any great harm from this particular behavior.

Second, I seriously doubt that many/any good club teams or college teams would ever want to play "down" with high school sides, scrimmage or otherwise. However, if they would, I also question the harm to high school teams of pre-season scrimmages against club and/or college teams. Again, it's just a scrimmage and it would, for most high school teams, be a good opportunity to experience good competition in a learning environment. Obviously, Tennessee club teams would be without their high school players once the high school soccer period begins. Again, what is the harm in this highly unlikely event?

Finally, I don't see how playing an otherwise valid scrimmage (i.e. using proper players during the appropriate time period for scrimmages) would lead to "overlapping winter seasons" for anyone, much less than for an unfair few. There are strict rules on the time periods high school teams can train and play together as a team. Why would an otherwise valid scrimmage lead to a whole new overlapping season?

Sometimes in sports we tend to over regulate ourselves into concrete shoes in the false hope of preserving "fairness", whatever that is. If one team has a valid opportunity to gain a good learning experience that does not otherwise disadvantage a future opponent, what is the harm and why do we discourage the opportunity? Following this line of thought, should we ban allowing some schools to spend Spring Break playing and practicing soccer as a team at the beach because some other schools can't arrange to do the same?

This thread sounds a lot more like someone's ticked at Brentwood rather than someone's concerned about fair competition. :thumb:

Edited by hoya75

Of course. A lot of teams want to do the same thing.

Here's the problem: You can't do it.

Whether you inadvertantly break a rule or intentionally break a rule, it's illegal. Whether you disagree with it or not, it's illegal.

Whether it is a "big deal" or a "little deal", it's illegal.

Oh, and I WILL have a nice day. I'm right once again. Thanks coach.

who are you cause you are not from brentwood.