rule on hit or not

sportalcholic

Too many teams call things like this hits, though, that's why it's hard to trust batting averages for some teams unless you got to every game by every team and could see for yourself what happened. I mentioned this a while back, but once there was a one team that called in a result to the newspaper and listed more hits than they actually had baserunners. They had themselves with something around 14 hits, the other team had it as four, with a couple of errors and a few fielders choice. After another game, a scorebook keeper was mad a player didn't make all-district, so she called in a district tournament game (they were the visitors and didn't even need to call it in) with a player going "2-3 with 2 RBI" or something similiar, and the player actually struck out a couple of times and never made it to first base. The paper used the first report received, hers.

Edited by Indian

runners on 1st and second, batter gets clean hit to right field,runner on second falls and then forced at third on throw from right field,i hope i am wrong on this but batter does not get credit for base hit,right or wrong

I think the ??? you have to ask could the batter have been thrown out at frist, you can't take away a hit from a batter becouse of base runing errow. i might be wrong , but a filders choice is ruled that the filder made a choice to get the lead runner and could have just a easy gotten the hitter, if she could not have gotten the hitter i say it's a hit.

I think the ??? you have to ask could the batter have been thrown out at frist, you can't take away a hit from a batter becouse of base runing errow. i might be wrong , but a filders choice is ruled that the filder made a choice to get the lead runner and could have just a easy gotten the hitter, if she could not have gotten the hitter i say it's a hit.

If that is the case...what if you had a really slow runner at 2nd and a runner on 1st. The ball is hit to the shortstop deep in the hole. The girl that hit the ball is really fast. The shortstop could not have gotten the girl at 1st...but made the throw just in time to get the runner at 3rd on a force. Is that a hit too? Same analogy.

Softball playing rules at ncaa.org, page 189 explains a base hit and page 191 explains a fielder's choice.