Protective Head-Gear, required by State School Assoc.

GREG141

What do you all think about protective head-gear? Some state school associations are finding out that to bind catostrophic coverage, insurance carriers will require this in the near future.

So I know I'm a girl and not playing boy's soccer, but I bet they're doing this for both sexes, am I right? That's so not cool. For some players heading the ball is like really important, plus it's fun, haha. Head gear would totally mess up our control on the ball. Not only that but having like straps and like a helmet on ur head while trying to run and be agile is just not cool at all. Hopefully this won't follow through!

There was a player this fall on a girl's team that had to wear protective head gear because of previous concussions. It didn't seem to affect her heading ability at all. Although it did look funny ;) In the past few months I've had two concussions playing soccer, so I may be told to wear head gear if I get another, and I don't think it would be fun at all. I think concussions and getting hurt are a part of the game and that schools shouldn't require head gear.

There was a player this fall on a girl's team that had to wear protective head gear because of previous concussions. It didn't seem to affect her heading ability at all. Although it did look funny ;) In the past few months I've had two concussions playing soccer, so I may be told to wear head gear if I get another, and I don't think it would be fun at all. I think concussions and getting hurt are a part of the game and that schools shouldn't require head gear.

I totally agree with you about schools not requiring it. I mean if you need it, such as that girl or possible ur self soon, then yes it is a good thing, but other wise what can they do. Kids play sports, and kids get hurt when they play these sports. It comes with the package. I mean, I throw shot and disc for track and field and that would be like me having to wear some sort of brace jsut so that I don't throw my arm or shoulder out as I throw. Plus I think that soccer plays are out right hot, haha, and it wouldn't be the most attractive thing ;) haha.

I really hope they don't require head gear for several reasons. First of all, it affects heading and can take away from the game. Secondly, soccer is a sport. In sports, injuries happen from time to time; it's a risk that all athletes take. I would rather risk getting hurt (a pretty low risk) and enjoy the game like it was meant to be enjoyed than be bundled up in tons of safety equipment. Sure, the equipment might help some people (those with previous injuries or who are very injury prone) but will not help everyone, making it a nuisance. For these reasons, protective headgear should remain optional for the time being.