Who Deserves ALL DISTRICT in Williamson County Districts

EagleSoc6

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with gavin and kahn for ravenwood, but what do you guys think about the junior defensive mid in RJ Cardente? Hes made all-county both years even as a freshman, and has had a huge impact in the success the team is having this season...without him in the mid tyler kahn would be seeing more shots per game...Your thoughts?

Agreed. Here's a 2005 Tennessean article:

'State champs' sounds twice as nice to Chad Edmonds

BHS junior pulled double duty on BHS soccer, rugby teams

By DOUG DYER

Staff Writer

It has been customary for Connie Edmonds to find random scrapes, bruises and bloodstains on her son, Chad, the last four months.

"Those are a badge of honor to him," she said. "He usually is bleeding when he comes home."

The injuries, while mostly mild, have come from Chad's athletic endeavors at Brentwood High. While most student athletes opt to pick one sport per athletic season, Chad, a junior, chose to play two this spring: rugby for the Brentwood Brumbies and then soccer for Mike Purcell's Bruins.

He has been playing rugby at Brentwood for the last three years and played soccer all through his youth until quitting after middle school.

"When I stopped playing, I just needed a break," he said. "I had been playing ever since I was a little kid, so I was getting tired of it."

The decision to play both sports this spring came suddenly when some school friends convinced him to come out for soccer, much to his mother's chagrin.

"I honestly didn't know why I played soccer (this year)," Chad said. "A couple guys and I had been kicking the ball around, and they said I should come back out."

"I had told him he was not going to do both," Connie said. "I didn't see how he would do it with the huge overlap. He also plays positions where he gets beat up a lot, but he likes it. "He says he did it to spite me."

For spite or not, Chad's quest to double up on spring sports resulted in one of the most memorable experiences ever for the youngster. The Brumbies rugby team won its fourth consecutive state championship by beating Knoxville West 21-0 on May 8, then his soccer Bruins turned around just two weeks later and had a dramatic 4-3 victory over Hendersonville to claim the Class AAA state title.

"It's a really good feeling," he said. "I definitely don't regret it."

And even though he had taken a hiatus from playing soccer, his skills came back quickly and he made a tremendous impact for the Bruins. As a forward, he was the fourth-leading scorer on the team with 12 goals and five assists, and he also had to play some on defense at the state tournament.

"His soccer background came back real quick as far as sense of the game," Purcell said. "He helped us in scoring when he played forward and had some terrific goals. His defense in the state tournament was outstanding. He marked (Hendersonville top scorer Daniel) Kelly out of the game in the finals."

One might think playing two such physically demanding sports would take its toll after awhile, but Chad maintains that playing one only helped with the other.

"I think I had more energy because I was doing both," he said. "There were a few times when I had an early soccer game then had to leave and play rugby. All the guys on the team just helped me through it."

"Playing both had him in excellent shape," Purcell said. "He can run all day."

The fun likely will continue next spring when Chad will try to pull double duty again.

"I'm going to try and do both again," he said. "I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't so much fun."