JP2 vs USN (9-0)

vasilios

how did this happen?

yeah, watching the game i was wondering the same thing. the referee gave away the first two goals on an unmerited pk and a missed (indisputable) offsides call in the first ten minutes. jp2 capitalized on the momentum that those goals generated for them and the confusion that they caused within the usn squad, including a coupla uncharacteristic mistakes from the usually solid sweeper, and put in two more before the midway point of the first half. after that the usn side, with few exceptions, displayed a complete lack of heart, character, and pride as they more or less rolled over, while jp2 continued to play solid ball, maintaining shape and moving the ball with ease. they scored their last three of four goals in the second half of the second half after usn pulled several starters including a coupla defensemen and the keeper.

while it is ridiculous to blame a 9-0 loss on the officiating, one cannot help but look not only at the fact that the first two goals were given away, but that it is pretty much undeniable that those two calls (well, one call and one lack thereof) contributed to the confusion that led to the next few goals, which in turn led to the demoralization and ultimate benching of starters that led to the remaining goals. jp2 played a level of ball against the unspirited usn side that i am unsure the latter could have matched even on a good day, with good officials, but it is a shame that there will always be that tiny shread of uncertainty. after all during the regular season, the game was fairly evenly matched and was decided 1-0 in favor of jp2 with little time remaining. it's not fair and can't feel good for either team, though better, certainly, for the victors who even without any help were deserving of the W.

No matter how the goals happened, it seems that JP2 has maybe gotten over their finishing woes. Good for them...maybe bad for the next team to have to play them.

concur. some of their goals were quite nice. two headers off crosses were particularly impressive. in fact, not to blow up their spot, but it seemed that most of their goals were off crosses. some off set-plays and build-ups, others in transition. it would behoove whoever plays them next to have height, particularly on backside to deal with the former and speed at the outside defensive positions (so that center back not forced to commit outside and leave middle open - another possibility = playing two center backs, as in flat four) to deal with the latter.

what were the other outcomes from the first round? what are the other second round matchups? is there already a thread for those?

To say that the result of the game was because of officiating is ridiculous. The pk was a foul, a dumb one. Jp2 was dominate 100% of the game, moving the ball nicely. The 1-0 previous score was partly due to the incredibly small field USN plays on. all 5 of the second half goals were scored by non-starters in the second half as jp2 pulled many of their starters early in the second half.

To say that the result of the game was because of officiating is ridiculous. The pk was a foul, a dumb one. Jp2 was dominate 100% of the game, moving the ball nicely. The 1-0 previous score was partly due to the incredibly small field USN plays on. all 5 of the second half goals were scored by non-starters in the second half as jp2 pulled many of their starters early in the second half.

i believe that "ridiculous" is the word that i chose to use myself in describing any such attempt and "moving the ball nicely" from your post echoes "moving the ball with ease" from mine.

jp2 - your team i am assuming - looked very good. significantly better than usn. i have no doubt that you are actually the better team, but i also know that usn has enough (albeit unequally distributed) talent that on the right day they could hang with you and make it a game. thursday obviously was not the right day. it seems equally obvious, however, that the referees helped to ensure that it was not the right day. i must admit that i did not have a great angle on the pk, but i did not see anything and generally, unless it is absolutely flagrant, pks are not called that early in the game. i notice, however, that you say nothing about the offsides, which was apparent even from where i was, or the fact that those two early goals swung the momentum in a way that at least partially dictated the outcome of the game. they did not end the game. their interaction with the apparent psychological weakness of the usn side was what ended the game a mere twenty minutes after kick off. if you genuinely think that you are nine goals better than usn, you should have no trouble sweeping through region and probably state as well. if you do not, it seems reasonable to search for alternative or at least supplementary explanation of the scale of the victory, if not the victory itself. the ineptitude of the officiating crew manifested itself not only in those two early calls, but throughout the game. you guys were on the wrong end of a few yourselves. in general, though there were many missed calls, the timing and nature of the two mentioned seemed most critical...which, after all, is why i mentioned them.

it is good to hear that your starters were pulled midway through the second half; it squares with the high opinion that i have of your coach. in addition to being a classy guy, he knows soccer very well. your team's tactical game is much more sophisticated than most hs level sides' and is consequently fun to watch. of your team, i have two primary critiques. first, despite good ball movement in the middle of the field, your attacking sequences too often seemed to devolve into combination play between your strikers, with little support from the midfield except for the left winger. second, it seems that your perennial weakness is, in some ways, just that, it seems as though many of your players are simply not strong enough and can and are muscled off the ball. fixing the first and at least keeping the second in mind might aid your run to/through state.

peace.

concur. some of their goals were quite nice. two headers off crosses were particularly impressive. in fact, not to blow up their spot, but it seemed that most of their goals were off crosses. some off set-plays and build-ups, others in transition. it would behoove whoever plays them next to have height, particularly on backside to deal with the former and speed at the outside defensive positions (so that center back not forced to commit outside and leave middle open - another possibility = playing two center backs, as in flat four) to deal with the latter.

what were the other outcomes from the first round? what are the other second round matchups? is there already a thread for those?

JPII plays BGA next.

mr goo -- I think your observations of JPII are quite astute. You truly are a student of the game... No JPII is not nine goals better than USN. Yes, there was a foul in the box but did not impede a scoring opportunity and could have (not neccessarily should have) been ignored by the ref. 2d goal, I did not have a good angle and could not tell if off sides or not. The ref did seem quite confused about the call himself before calling a good goal. USN did quit after the second goal. The game was over at that point. The final five goals were scored by Freshmen and Sophmores that do not play often. Four of the goals were first time goals for players. Whoever stated that JPII may have found out how to finish... I hope so but doubt it.... The feeling is that they emptied the can in the USN game.

Goo -- You stated the complaints coming not only from parent back seat coaching but from the coaching staff themselves. Not enough mid field support... To a man... We are physically weak. Teams like Father Ryan and BGA tend to push us off the ball and run through our people. Our players are skilled, fast, technically, and fundamentally sound. We are just small and not very strong.

No... Goo... we do not think we will run through the Region and definately not run through the State. We hope to play well enough to maybe make State. It will be tough.

good luck fever fan. i think that you guys will make it through region. though i don't think that you'll be able to knock off bga in the semis, i'd be surprised if you didnt' meet and beat frhs in the third place game. feel free to feed off my doubt to get going in the first one, which i won't be able to make. look forward to watching you on thursday in any case.

peace.