To stride or not to stride?

FridayMainEvent

I have a couple of daughters who are now playing fastpitch, one high school and the younger is still playing rec. ball. I haven't had much success finding something that works for both of them. One seems to do better if she doesn't stride before swinging and the other seems to do better with a short stride before swinging.

I've heard coaches teach both ways and I prefer the short stride. I try to teach them that the stride must be completed before the swing starts in order to not "step out" during the swing. I'm beginning to think you have to adjust your teaching to the child. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other. I was curious to hear what other coaches opinions were on this subject.

We like the "toe touch" it stops the stepping out and keeps the batters head and eyes on the same plane with the pitcher. No stride , just lift the foot and touch back down , loading up the back leg. The Lady Vols use this method and several of the better hitting instructors in our area also teach this method. Players with long strides will have a harder time with this than those with a short stride. Most kids adapt with a little work..........

We like the "toe touch" it stops the stepping out and keeps the batters head and eyes on the same plane with the pitcher. No stride , just lift the foot and touch back down , loading up the back leg. The Lady Vols use this method and several of the better hitting instructors in our area also teach this method. Players with long strides will have a harder time with this than those with a short stride. Most kids adapt with a little work..........

Thanks, that makes sense. I have found that a lot of striders tend to shift weight to the front leg during the stride and not on the swing which takes away alot of the power in the swing. By using this "toe touch" method you spoke of that should also correct the early weight shift problems. I'll give this a try and let you know if we have good results. :ph34r: