Dobyns Bennett vs Farragut @DB

bud

They said it couldn't be done!! ..... This was probably Coach Pharr's finest coaching job ever since coming to Farragut. Catapano goes the distance, and leads the Admirals to a 3-2 victory to earn a 6th straight trip to the Spring Fling. The game was tight all the way, and unfortunately, I was limited to listening to the game on WUCP FM106.1. (Thanks again, to WUCP for broadcasting Admiral Baseball!!). For personal reasons, I couldn't be at J.Fred for today's game. But the Admirals pulled it out. I wasn't sure they were, though, at times leaving runners in scoring position, and grounding into 2 or 3 inning-ending double plays.

The Indians got a runner on base by walk in the B7, but stranded him on 2 succeeding deep fly balls. I understand the last one was caught by LF Eskew on the warning track. Whew!!

Great job, Admirals!! Congratulations!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with much of what vandycomms said. I think DB probably hits the ball a bit better than Farragut. The 2 big questions in this game are: Can Tyler Joyce keep Farragut bats silent? And, is Catapano able to keep the great DB bats to a minimum?

Should be a low scoring game and any errors probably will lose the game.

Farragut WINS!!!

FHS 3 DB 2

I agree with much of what vandycomms said. I think DB probably hits the ball a bit better than Farragut. The 2 big questions in this game are: Can Tyler Joyce keep Farragut bats silent? And, is Catapano able to keep the great DB bats to a minimum?

Should be a low scoring game and any errors probably will lose the game.

Farragut WINS!!

FHS 3 DB 2

Farragut deserves alot of credit for working hard all year and continuing to improve. The kids stuck to it and got the outcome they deserve... a 6th straight trip to the Spring Fling!

Catapano didn't seem to have his best stuff tonight...Can you really say that about a guy that just held a good-hitting team like D-B to just 3 hits???? Yes, you can. I think Rob would agree that he wasn't as sharp as he can be! So what did he do? He dug down inside and found the will and the way to keep the bats quiet. A really gutsy performance by a great pitcher and player!

Biz,

Thanks for your support of the Admirals this season, and HS baseball in general over the years. I noticed you and your son were at our game with Knox Halls on Monday night (I saw you from the pressbox-- I even gave you props on the radio!!). Your support of HS baseball in the Knoxville area has made a big difference in local success at the state level. Thanks again!!

Are you going to Murfreesboro for any of the games? I'll have to see if I can get a "kitchen pass" to get away....

Farragut WINS!!!

FHS 3 DB 2

Farragut WINS!!

FHS 3 DB 2

I WAS AT THE GAME LAST NIGHT, AND I MUST ADMIT--DB HAS A GOOD BALL CLUB. THEIR PITCHING WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT--THEIR HITTING WAS AS GOOD--HOWEVER--THE KIDS FROM FARRAGUT WERE JUST A LITTLE BETTER. THEY CAME INTO THE GAME WITH A DIFFERENT ATTITUDE. THEY DISPLAYED A CERTAIN CONFIDENCE THAT I DIDN'T SEE IN THE DB KIDS. DOES PLAY-OFF EXPERIENCE HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH POST SEASON SUCCESS? I THINK SO. I KNOW DB HAS A LOT OF YOUNG PLAYERS IN THEIR LINE-UP, BUT FARRAGUT HAS EVEN MORE. THE LEFT SIDE OF THEIR INFIELD IS MADE UP OF FRESHMEN. I HAVE WATCHED A LOT OF HS BASEBALL THIS YEAR, AND I THINK FARRAGUT'S YOUNG GUNS ARE PROBABLE THE BEST I HAVE SEEN. THEY HAVE 2 OR 3 FRESHMEN PITCHERS AS WELL. THE WAY THINGS LOOK TO ME--THERE MIGHT BE A MATCH-UP OF THESE GUYS AGAIN NEXT YEAR. DID I JUST SAY--NEXT YEAR???@@$$?%%%%? FARRAGUT WINS :thumb:

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE FARRAGUT ADMIRALS on their sixth consecutive trip to the State Tournament!

If this does not prove that Tommy Pharr is the best high school baseball coach in the state, I don't know what would. This was definately a reloading year for the Admirals after graduating such a strong senior class last year. If I'm not mistaken, the normal starting line-up for Farragut was 4 seniors, 1 junior, with the rest being sophomores and freshmen. Coach Pharr has developed these young men into another state-contending team. Incredible!

During the games, it's the players who got it done on the field when it counted. My guess is if you asked the seniors which of their four trips to the State Tournament was the most special, it would be this year, no matter the final outcome.

Most importantly, win or lose, Farragut's coaching staff, players, and fans are a great example of sportmanship and class! Some other area teams could have learned a few lessons from them this year.

Congratulatons again, and good luck at State!

Biz,

Thanks for your support of the Admirals this season, and HS baseball in general over the years. I noticed you and your son were at our game with Knox Halls on Monday night (I saw you from the pressbox-- I even gave you props on the radio!!). Your support of HS baseball in the Knoxville area has made a big difference in local success at the state level. Thanks again!!

Are you going to Murfreesboro for any of the games? I'll have to see if I can get a "kitchen pass" to get away....

Wow, radio props! Thanks DD. :rolleyes:

I'd love to see some Spring Fling games, but the Boro is just a little too far away. I'm leaving for the beach week after next and need to get some work done.

I've gotten to know many associated with the Admiral Baseball program over the years and you guys are a class act. We all expected Catapano to be good, but for this team to make it to the State demonstrates what a great coach Tommy is. I think some of us on the outside looking in were a bit fooled because Farragut has lost so many "name" players the past couple of years. The Admirals rode out some tough times early in the year and came together at the right time.

Baseball is a tournament sport - Farragut has proven that point by emerging from the #4 seed in the district. I'm glad to see Region 2-AAA represented at the Fling again this year.

Hope that some folks will keep us posted on what's going on.