QUESTION

vasilios

Can a player not be on the roster during the first half of the season then be added? For example can a player play club through midway through the season, then stop and start playing highschool and then go to state?

I'm not positive on this one. I am sure that TSSAA rules forbid a high school player to play "outside" competition after the season start date that is in either January or February for soccer. Thus, with a few exceptions for National team play, etc., if a player on a high school roster plays club ball after the high school season begins, he becomes ineligible. Your question seems a little different. I am assuming you are asking about a player who was not on the high school roster at the start of the season and joined the high school team later. I don't know the answer, but I'd bet there is a problem with it. It's TSSAA and their goal seems to be to stop all outside play during the high school season. I would be very surprised if they don't have this one covered somehow.

Can a player not be on the roster during the first half of the season then be added? For example can a player play club through midway through the season, then stop and start playing highschool and then go to state?

No, he would have violated the independent game rule by playing for a club team during the high school season, doesn't matter if you are rostered or not with your high school team.

i just believe this is a very bad rule, in many western states this rule has ruined highschools because they lose their best players to club teams, which make the kids sign an agreement not to pay high school ball.

i agree 100%. if a player can play on two teams, i do not see the problem, especially at a young age where a player can only gain form the experience of more game time.

i just believe this is a very bad rule, in many western states this rule has ruined highschools because they lose their best players to club teams, which make the kids sign an agreement not to pay high school ball.

I think most soccer people agree with you about this one. The last club team I was involved with was invited to a number of high level spring events like the Dallas Cup, Jefferson Cup, etc., but could not attend due to this restriction without sacrificing the guys' high school participation. I thought the players could easily do both, but TSSAA sees it differently.