New rule proposed by TSSAA

BigG

I called baseball here in Nashville and noticed a trend. HS coaches "unofficially" required their HS players to play on the same summer league team. If a parent wanted their HS player to play on a different team, they were "unofficially" told that their son would probably pay the price in playing time. It was a way to circumvent the TSSAA restrictions and get more practice time for the HS coach.

Additionally, if the HS player want to work and not play baseball in the summer, he paid the price in lack of playing time.

I feel for the rural schools but i dont want Girls soccer to get to where summer baseball is at today.

Former Umpire

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just how would the TSSAA know how many players from what club are on a school team? I manage a select team, as far as I'm concerned last season team disband after the Div. 1 State Tournament. We've had our try outs, but I won't roster the team with the TN State Soccer Association until late fall. So the players right now are officially not on a team. It seems to me that the TSSAA could not possibly enforce this rule.

Just how would the TSSAA know how many players from what club are on a school team? I manage a select team, as far as I'm concerned last season team disband after the Div. 1 State Tournament. We've had our try outs, but I won't roster the team with the TN State Soccer Association until late fall. So the players right now are officially not on a team. It seems to me that the TSSAA could not possibly enforce this rule.

At least one way to be caught breaking the rules and that is by someone following the rules who turns you in. Another school, another club, getting a school put on probation would make you very unpopular. Whether you agree with a rule or not if it is a rule and you break it, it will have penalties.

It seems like if the high school coaches would not break the rules this wouldnt be neccesary.

The coaches are not permitted to coach a team over the summer so they try to make the kids all play on the same team with a "puppet" coach and then coach from the stands during games with motions and hand signal and even conferences with an assistant before time outs etc.

I confess I have only seen this in Basketball

Someone correct me if I am wrong here but I was told this is why the TSSAA is considering this rule change!

Personally I wish the TSSAA would spend more time doing something to improve the standard of refereeing! Its almost requires a sedative to watch games some days.

Can anyone tell me how you can be offsides when the ball comes off the crossbar?

And seriously how many times does a goalie need to be kicked in the head in a game?

Its a great game, hope we can get it right sooner than later

Can anyone tell me how you can be offsides when the ball comes off the crossbar?

Actually, if a player is in an offsides position before the ball is kicked, she cannot be called offsides on the shot, but if it rebounds off of the keeper or off of the bar, then she can. I know it is confusing, but it all has to do with where she was when the ball was originally kicked.

Actually, if a player is in an offsides position before the ball is kicked, she cannot be called offsides on the shot, but if it rebounds off of the keeper or off of the bar, then she can. I know it is confusing, but it all has to do with where she was when the ball was originally kicked.

in an offisdes position before the shot? so they are offsides then? dont you mean if she is onside when the ball is kicked?

when the ball contacts another player they bring you onside unless you are in an offisde position relative to that player. So when the ball hits the goal crossbar and everyone rushes to the ball ALL players upfield become onsides!

Imagine if it were not so.. at every shot at goal the defense would just rush up the field and no offensive player could advance to the ball. If the ball landed behind them it would be as you say but not when it falls in front of them

I will never understand why people have so much dificulty with offsides, it is not that difficult. try explaining when a Ref gives advantage and calls it back to a spectator!

in an offisdes position before the shot? so they are offsides then? dont you mean if she is onside when the ball is kicked?

when the ball contacts another player they bring you onside unless you are in an offisde position relative to that player. So when the ball hits the goal crossbar and everyone rushes to the ball ALL players upfield become onsides!

Imagine if it were not so.. at every shot at goal the defense would just rush up the field and no offensive player could advance to the ball. If the ball landed behind them it would be as you say but not when it falls in front of them

I will never understand why people have so much dificulty with offsides, it is not that difficult. try explaining when a Ref gives advantage and calls it back to a spectator!

You might want to check on that... I think I may know what I am talking about.

care to elaborate?

you said if someone is in an offside position when the ball is shot they are no longer offside? Did I misread that?

Ok... the rule states that you cannot be considered offsides on a shot. So if player "A" is standing in an offsides position (out of the way of the keeper- she cannot impede the keeper in any way) she is NOT considered offsides if player "B" takes a shot from an onsides position, UNLESS the shot does not go in, and rebounds to player "A" off of a crossbar or a defender (including the keeper). Then she is in violation of the offsides rule, since she was in an offsides position when the shot was originally taken. If the shot did go in, the offsides call against player "A" should not be called, and the goal should count.

I agree with you, that offsides is one of the most "abused" calls made in Tennessee.

Ok... the rule states that you cannot be considered offsides on a shot. So if player "A" is standing in an offsides position (out of the way of the keeper- she cannot impede the keeper in any way) she is NOT considered offsides if player "B" takes a shot from an onsides position, UNLESS the shot does not go in, and rebounds to player "A" off of a crossbar or a defender (including the keeper). Then she is in violation of the offsides rule, since she was in an offsides position when the shot was originally taken. If the shot did go in, the offsides call against player "A" should not be called, and the goal should count.

I agree with you, that offsides is one of the most "abused" calls made in Tennessee.

If you're on the 18 in an offside position, ball is shot, are you not involved in the play ?Does the gk not have to consider you ?I'm not talking about screening the gk.

Or are you saying the player has to be so far out of the way as to be obviouly out of the play i.e. in the flank third with a shot happening middle third.

If you're on the 18 in an offside position, ball is shot, are you not involved in the play ?Does the gk not have to consider you ?I'm not talking about screening the gk.

Or are you saying the player has to be so far out of the way as to be obviouly out of the play i.e. in the flank third with a shot happening middle third.

All of the above is at the discretion of the ref. If, in his opinion, the player is not involved (not drawing the keeper or another defender with them) then they are not offsides... for example; If a player is sprinting down the outside flank, and a defender (or keeper) is not drawn to her, and she is behind the last defender, she should not be considered offsides, UNLESS after the shot is taken, she runs in and scores or makes a play off the ball's deflection off of the keeper or the goal. She would be offsides, since when the ball was kicked, she was coming from an offsides position.

Yeah, the ref needs to take all of this in consideration before they make the call. Most seldom do...