Weekend tournaments

KeeperFan15

Started this thread to keep from chewing up the Rankings Week 4 thread.

Several comments on that thread about how accurate the weekend tournaments are as to whether teams will do well at state.

IMO they do a good job of coarsley separating weak teams from strong teams. Most have shorter matches, and you can see the difference between a #12 and an also ran. When you get down to a #3 playing a #7, I don't know that it necessarily allows you to see which team is really stronger. Thoughts? or is this a waste electrons.

I have read several posts regarding tournaments, rankings, bravado, etc. All good, but opinionated comments that, well, are entertaining, but don't mean a thing. By that I mean, the only thing that really counts are the games, the results, and finally the exclamation point.....the playoffs. My concern is really the tournaments. While no doubt these games may be beneficial, to some degree, I believe that there may very well be a 'cost'. Possibly tired legs, league losses, or perhaps injury. Those things are visible. I really wonder if participation in tournaments during the season may eventually become so routine that HS soccer becomes as time demanding as club soccer and thus lead to a burnout...to HS soccer. If the time and travel demands upon player and family are such where the HS season is not much different than club, then the value of time and effort may be better spent at the club level and in a somewhat strange twist, become detrimental to HS soccer over the long haul. To me the tradition of schedule and games should be followed for soccer as it is in other sports....unless there is a sizable break, such as Spring for baseball or winter, where there are basketball tournaments. We also need to remember that these are students first, and their time is limited, and the requirements for study are demanding. It is for these reasons I feel HS soccer tournaments during regular season should be limited, if not abandoned altogether.

I have read several posts regarding tournaments, rankings, bravado, etc. All good, but opinionated comments that, well, are entertaining, but don't mean a thing. By that I mean, the only thing that really counts are the games, the results, and finally the exclamation point.....the playoffs. My concern is really the tournaments. While no doubt these games may be beneficial, to some degree, I believe that there may very well be a 'cost'. Possibly tired legs, league losses, or perhaps injury. Those things are visible. I really wonder if participation in tournaments during the season may eventually become so routine that HS soccer becomes as time demanding as club soccer and thus lead to a burnout...to HS soccer. If the time and travel demands upon player and family are such where the HS season is not much different than club, then the value of time and effort may be better spent at the club level and in a somewhat strange twist, become detrimental to HS soccer over the long haul. To me the tradition of schedule and games should be followed for soccer as it is in other sports....unless there is a sizable break, such as Spring for baseball or winter, where there are basketball tournaments. We also need to remember that these are students first, and their time is limited, and the requirements for study are demanding. It is for these reasons I feel HS soccer tournaments during regular season should be limited, if not abandoned altogether.

I don't like tournaments. I schedule one per season, and it is local. I also don't like playing any Saturday games during regular season either, if I can help it. The player AND coaches need time off to be with families and friends; it really helps them "recharge". Besides the time rest time, I find that most injuries occur during those multi game high caliber tournaments.