Franklin vs. Centennial

soccerblazer13

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Blow them out" is pretty strong, but then you never know. I think the game between CHS and FRA last year was pretty competitive.

FRA kept the game fairly close last season but they just weren't able to put any pressure on the Cougar defense. Following wins against JPII, Father Ryan, Brentwood and Franklin, the Cougars could have an emotional letdown which would certainly give FRA a chance. I don't think FRA has been tested much this season so this will give them an opportunity to see where they stand among the state's elite.

Edited by chsfan

FRA kept the game fairly close last season but they just weren't able to put any pressure on the Cougar defense. Following wins against JPII, Father Ryan, Brentwood and Franklin, the Cougars could have an emotional letdown which would certainly give FRA a chance. I don't think FRA has been tested much this season so this will give them an opportunity to see where they stand among the state's elite.

I hope you're not saying that the only way FRA wins is an emotional meltdown by

Centennial??? :thumb: Centennial has been a little Schitzy this season with some unexpected letdowns, but lately they have seem to be playing at the level that I heard was expected in pre-season. On paper Centennial should have the advantage over the small private school. Everyone knows Coach Mac like to schedule some tough pre-tournament competion prior to the tournament....but you never know what his coaching plans....sometimes he holds his team back on purpose???? I'm sure there will be some good soccer....a lot of these girls know each other (this is one where there is a healthy amount of like and respect....as compared to some of the other rivalries around the area!!!! ;) )

I hope you're not saying that the only way FRA wins is an emotional meltdown by

Centennial??? :o Centennial has been a little Schitzy this season with some unexpected letdowns, but lately they have seem to be playing at the level that I heard was expected in pre-season. On paper Centennial should have the advantage over the small private school. Everyone knows Coach Mac like to schedule some tough pre-tournament competion prior to the tournament....but you never know what his coaching plans....sometimes he holds his team back on purpose???? I'm sure there will be some good soccer....a lot of these girls know each other (this is one where there is a healthy amount of like and respect....as compared to some of the other rivalries around the area!!!! :lol: )

My point was that CHS may have a hard time getting "fired up" to play out of district and out of classification after winning the district with very emotional wins against Brentwood and Franklin. If you go into a game lacking some intensity you will give the opponent a much better chance of beating you. As far as a "small private school" goes, ask some of the big softball programs in the state about little Goodpasture! Size is meaningless when comparing public schools against private schools.

My point was that CHS may have a hard time getting "fired up" to play out of district and out of classification after winning the district ......Size is meaningless when comparing public schools against private schools.

I was there, I saw the game.....pitching the "we won't be fired up" excuse before the game demeans both squads....some may say differently but I don't think CHS can blame a tie in this game on a mental let down....looked like they gave what they had...they should have been happy with the tie......certainly FRA was not....

As for the public vs private debate ....it goes on over in the other area, every day....and yes, size does make a difference....let me give you an example....the school, has approximately 140 boys (total in 9 thru 12)...now you spread those potential players across baseball, soccer, track and tennis...then you add a 1.8 multiplier for classification .....now don't tell me size doesn't matter! :lol:

by the way Centennial has some very good players and some of them have a lot of class....I enjoyed the soccer I saw played...

As far as CHS being happy with a tie - I dont think so. They are not content with that tie - they played hard but I think FRA did as well. There were mistakes on both sides which resulted in the tie. If you are saying they should be happy cause FRA should have won that is your opinion and I dont happen to share it nor does anyone else at CHS. FRA has a good team and so does CHS but neither side should be happy with a tie.

I was there, I saw the game.....pitching the "we won't be fired up" excuse before the game demeans both squads....some may say differently but I don't think CHS can blame a tie in this game on a mental let down....looked like they gave what they had...they should have been happy with the tie......certainly FRA was not....

As for the public vs private debate ....it goes on over in the other area, every day....and yes, size does make a difference....let me give you an example....the school, has approximately 140 boys (total in 9 thru 12)...now you spread those potential players across baseball, soccer, track and tennis...then you add a 1.8 multiplier for classification .....now don't tell me size doesn't matter! :unsure:

by the way Centennial has some very good players and some of them have a lot of class....I enjoyed the soccer I saw played...

How about trying not to take things out of context. First you claim that I stated that the only way FRA could beat CHS was if CHS had a letdown. Didn't say that! Now you claim I stated that "we won't be fired up". Didn't say that either! As far as saying the Cougars "should have been happy with the tie". You can't be serious!!! Very disappointed is more like it. By stating that "some of them have a lot of class" could give someone the idea that some don't. Your private vs public argument is rediculous. Brentwood Academy is one of the smallest schools in the state, yet year in and year out they have one of the best football programs in the state, not to mention probably the best basketball team in the state last year. Goodpasture is another very small school and their softball program has been the best in the state over the past 5 or 6 years. St Agnes is another small school and they probably have the best soccer team in the state this year. These are just 3 examples that prove that size means absolutely nothing when comparing private vs public school athletic programs. You can put up all the numbers and multipliers you want but hard cold facts will win that debate.

How about trying not to take things out of context. First you claim that I stated that the only way FRA could beat CHS was if CHS had a letdown. Didn't say that! Now you claim I stated that "we won't be fired up". Didn't say that either! As far as saying the Cougars "should have been happy with the tie". You can't be serious!!! Very disappointed is more like it. By stating that "some of them have a lot of class" could give someone the idea that some don't. Your private vs public argument is rediculous. Brentwood Academy is one of the smallest schools in the state, yet year in and year out they have one of the best football programs in the state, not to mention probably the best basketball team in the state last year. Goodpasture is another very small school and their softball program has been the best in the state over the past 5 or 6 years. St Agnes is another small school and they probably have the best soccer team in the state this year. These are just 3 examples that prove that size means absolutely nothing when comparing private vs public school athletic programs. You can put up all the numbers and multipliers you want but hard cold facts will win that debate.

I don't see any hard cold facts in your quote....go back and re-read your missive it starts out implying that CHS might not win because they might not get up for the game....the exact quote was "the Cougars could have an emotional letdown which would certainly give FRA a chance" ......you say nothing about FRA being able to compete on an even basis...this implies that it would take a let down to give FRA a chance...that is what I questioned and based upon some comments it sounded like that was where some of CHS was coming from. I don't think there are any issues between these sets of players and I thought I was complimentary of several of them...not sure what your beef is? CHS is very good, but they were not any better than FRA on Monday...we all know where the scoring came from...and how the score ended up 2/2....if CHS was not happy with the tie, I can assure you that FRA wasn't happy with it.

Let's leave it at this....it was a tie, both teams have serious challenges going forward to state....what is really important!!! ...maybe, if they play next year...the tie will help to motivate everyone!

As I said, the Public Private debate goes on daily in the other section....the issues get hammered over there all the time.

Edited by flashgordon

Be careful when comparing Brentwood Academy football as a "small school" to the larger schools. They are one of the best programs in the state year in and year out because the program is bought and paid for... Remember BA is the primary reason why we have D2. When comparing small to large, I would exclude programs that offer financial aid and recruit, they are not comparable to the other non D2 schools as a whole.

Be careful when comparing Brentwood Academy football as a "small school" to the larger schools. They are one of the best programs in the state year in and year out because the program is bought and paid for... Remember BA is the primary reason why we have D2. When comparing small to large, I would exclude programs that offer financial aid and recruit, they are not comparable to the other non D2 schools as a whole.

If possible please provide the facts that you seem to imply as it relates to recruitment by BA of its athletes. I am not saying that you are wrong but I would like to see facts and not just opinion after such a strong statement. If you are only talking about that case from years ago I would suggest that you read the summary and give it an honest appraisal. It did possibly help drive the DII split but that would have probably happened anyway. Basically take BA out of the discussion and simply look at the case from a non biased perspective and like most you might see that it is a waste of time by both sides over a silly issue.

Do they give financial aid, yes! So do all of the teams (MBA, Ensworth, JPII, Father Ryan, MUS, Baylor and others) that they play in sports where Region and State championships are involved. However it is always BA that seems to be singled out as the team being “Bought”. All of their competition in DII provide financial aid to athletes. Check your records it has been a pretty long time since they were football state champions so others must be doing a better job of “buying” talent. I believe that you will find that a team from Memphis won the football state for the past two years. I just never seem to read where they are a “bought team”.

Where you really seem to be confused is in the area of “recruitment”. BA does not recruit! As the father of two BA athletes, one graduated and one approaching high school, I can tell you I have never seen, or been aware of, a member of the faculty or coaching staff “recruiting” a player. Not actively recruiting away a player who is playing at another school. They do talk to athletes who approach the school about possibly moving to BA. That was the case when my oldest child transferred, they knew we were interested but we had to come to them first. When a school has a winning program in a particular sport they generally have the opportunity to draw some of the better players from that particular sport.

BA faculty and staff are probably one of the most cautious groups as it relates to the whole topic of recruitment. As a matter of fact I have had the assistant AD request that I be more careful when discussing BA with parents from our travel teams because they do not want it to be viewed as recruitment. BA like all schools with strong athletic programs have parents who are always willing to talk about their childrens school with other parents. Is this recruitment? Everyone will have their own opinion but if it is then I have seen recruitment at both DI and DII and at all levels.

I agree with you basic point about comparing DI and DII schools as a small verses large issue. Financial aid more than levels the playing field. My concern is when people view financial aid and recruitment as one in the same. Financial aid helps recruit a player once they approach the school without question. But recruiting is going to a player and asking them to leave their current school and come to play for your school. In all likelihood this happens all over the state but I believe that it is generally a parent driven occurrence and not a school sponsored effort. In the case of BA I feel based on the past they are very careful as an institution. If not I am quite certain that TSSAA would have come after them again!