ezell vs. goodpasture

skinnycat67

well congrats Bigboy on your being able to beat goodpasture, but shouldn't that put you on our side of the fence. i mean the argument here is that no public school can beat goodpasture in 2A because they "recruit". but you and i both know that alcoa is a public school and in the past two years you have beaten both lipscomb and goodpasture in route to winning back to back championships. so shouldn't you also be telling people to get over it and JUST BE GOOD ENOUGH to beat the boys from goodpasture?

Everybody also knows that Alcoa has an open zone.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody also knows that Alcoa has an open zone.

Here we go, yet again! What the heck is an "open zone", anyway??? Alcoa is a public school just like any other public school in the state. You can't tell me that there is a public school in the state where there isn't at least 1 student who doesn't live in that school's zone (unless the school is out in the complete boonies or the academics stink). Sounds like the ugly green monster is rearing its head. I would guess that most of the tuition students are kids of alumni.

People who are stuck on Alcoa having an "open zone" (whatever that means!) need to get over it.

For those who just don't know how our county works, city residents pay city and county taxes. Therefore, those kids can go to that city's school, or one of the county schools without paying tuition. If a student in the county wants to go to maryville or alcoa, they are required to pay tuition because their parents only pay county taxes. There are kids who are in Alcoa's zone who choose to go to a county school, just like there are kids in the county zoned for William Blount who go to Heritage, and vice versa.

At Alcoa, if the tuition kid gets into trouble or has too many absences, they're required to find some other form of education.

Open zone???? I'd still like somebody to explain that term to me...haven't had anybody yet who could. Guess that's the price to pay for your kids to get a great education in a small, close-knit school.

Struck a chord didn't it?

An open zone is one where students can go back and forth to one school or the other without penalty. You described one when you mentioned the 'close knit community' thing in your post. Exceptions in our county are for teachers and administrator's children only. I can't send my kid to any of the other close knit communities in our county and vice versa. That's what is called a 'closed' zone. Games have been forfeited and championships stripped when an out of boundary kid attends the wrong school. I'd like to see the kind of football team we could have if all of the schools in the county sent their football players to play in the 2A school.

Edited by ksgovols

Struck a chord didn't it?

An open zone is one where students can go back and forth to one school or the other without penalty. You described one when you mentioned the 'close knit community' thing in your post. Exceptions in our county are for teachers and administrator's children only. I can't send my kid to any of the other close knit communities in our county and vice versa. That's what is called a 'closed' zone. Games have been forfeited and championships stripped when an out of boundary kid attends the wrong school. I'd like to see the kind of football team we could have if all of the schools in the county sent their football players to play in the 2A school.

Finally, an explanation! Thank you very much for that.

Alcoa is a close-knit community in that 1) we're really small, and 2) as I said, my guess is that most of the tuition kids are alumni's children.

Sounds like you may be a milan or USJ fan.

i sure would like to know where you went to school that you beat goodpasture so bad because if it wasn't at CPA or Alcoa then i hate to burst your bubble but you didn't beat them badly. you probably didn't beat them at all but it just sounded good for your argument. and yes goodpasture can be beat by 2A teams because Alcoa thumped them last year. so since other 2A teams can beat goodpasture, i'd like to see milan do it because that was mentioned earlier (P.S. there is no way that is happening).

The question was can Goodpasture be beat? Not has Goodpasture been beat. So what, Lipscomb and JPII "thumped" them too. Guess what happen this year? Like it has been said the only public school that can beat Goodpasture is Alcoa period. And so I don't get misunderstood by Goodpasture fans, Goodpasture can also beat Alcoa.

The question was can Goodpasture be beat? Not has Goodpasture been beat. So what, Lipscomb and JPII "thumped" them too. Guess what happen this year? Like it has been said the only public school that can beat Goodpasture is Alcoa period. And so I don't get misunderstood by Goodpasture fans, Goodpasture can also beat Alcoa.

Not this year.