McMinn Cherokees

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of rumors flying at this point which is typical at this time of year. Hallway talk is there are 8 girls on varsity including 1 freshman. There is also a few freshman on a short handed freshman squad. One fact is that a senior and last year's 2nd leading scorer has transferred to Walker Valley. The coach is currently trying to talk a player that quit last year to come back for the team this year to give them at least 5 girls with high school court experience. The current top 5 (of 8) are seniors which does not bode well for the future.

Going back and reading your post, yes the coach is aware of this and trying to recruit more girls. The ones he is talking to have not played ball in a long time. With the loss of one of his top two scorers, he now has 5 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore, and 1 freshman on varsity. 5 other freshman are planning on playing at this time. The girls on the team say they will have a combined jv/freshman schedule only because of dropping numbers. Morale is not the best here right now.

Four of the returning seniors were starters last year and the team will have success this year if everyone stays healthy and they do not get into foul trouble. The four coming back are great, but desperately need some rest relief in the game.

Going back and reading your post, yes the coach is aware of this and trying to recruit more girls. The ones he is talking to have not played ball in a long time. With the loss of one of his top two scorers, he now has 5 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore, and 1 freshman on varsity. 5 other freshman are planning on playing at this time. The girls on the team say they will have a combined jv/freshman schedule only because of dropping numbers. Morale is not the best here right now.

Four of the returning seniors were starters last year and the team will have success this year if everyone stays healthy and they do not get into foul trouble. The four coming back are great, but desperately need some rest relief in the game.

I am wondering why they are only having just 1 Freshman come on board this year? I do think that McMinn will be one of the top teams in the district this year but barring injury or fouls they can't go to the bench or they can and it isn't to deep. Why are there not that many Freshman this year. In fact the last few years there hasn't been to many come on board at McMinn. Again, I do think that they will be successful this year but the lack of new faces will hurt real bad next year.

:thumb:

This year will be fine with a great group of seniors that are very tight and determined. However, they are only 4 deep with the loss of the one to WV. The number 5 player and bench will hurt unless coach can bring them on quickly.

Much of the talent has gone across county or WV the last two years. The ones that have been coming to McMinn do not last past freshman year.

This year will be fine with a great group of seniors that are very tight and determined. However, they are only 4 deep with the loss of the one to WV. The number 5 player and bench will hurt unless coach can bring them on quickly.

Much of the talent has gone across county or WV the last two years. The ones that have been coming to McMinn do not last past freshman year.

I think the problem might be more than just two years old. I have seen programs fall like this one has and you can look 5 years and more back. If you do not have a feeder program such as AAU teams and other league ball in your area you will start to hurt real bad. If the coach or coaches do not go out and help the Elementary School programs then that will come back and nip you in your behind also. I do not think that you can just blame the fall of this from just two years back. What is the coach doing to help his program out in the Elementary area? Maybe that is were he might need to start building now. Since it has only 8 girls in it and four are Seniors he might have a two to three year drought. I hope not but it might be. :thumb:

Recruiting is not the right word. They or the parents are choosing these schools for their children.

I remember watching the elementary tournament last year as for elementary schools and I remember Englewood and Calhoun were the final two, and I believe Etowah and Mt. View were the next two. So Riceville and AJHs which normally send the talent to mcmInn were missing. Etowah, Mt. View and Englewood normally go to Central with most Calhoun going to Walker Valley with a few exceptions. We have one from Calhoun that is starting here and Central has one or two from Calhoun, maybe just one because one just graduated from Central.

Recruiting is not the right word. They or the parents are choosing these schools for their children.

I remember watching the elementary tournament last year as for elementary schools and I remember Englewood and Calhoun were the final two, and I believe Etowah and Mt. View were the next two. So Riceville and AJHs which normally send the talent to mcmInn were missing. Etowah, Mt. View and Englewood normally go to Central with most Calhoun going to Walker Valley with a few exceptions. We have one from Calhoun that is starting here and Central has one or two from Calhoun, maybe just one because one just graduated from Central.

Why would Calhoun kids drive all the way across the county to attend Central when McMinn is right there in their back door? Something is out of whack. The same can be said for Riceville. How many Riceville alumni are now playing at Central? Bottom line is - AAU basketball is killing local school pride everywhere.

Edited by AA rules

Let me ask a question. The player that transferred to WV. Her brother is on the UTSports.com website as being from Decatur(meigs co.). Did Mcminn recruit him over? Or did he choose to go for another reason(academics,exposure,etc.)? What is the story there? Just wondering.

Let me ask a question. The player that transferred to WV. Her brother is on the UTSports.com website as being from Decatur(meigs co.). Did Mcminn recruit him over? Or did he choose to go for another reason(academics,exposure,etc.)? What is the story there? Just wondering.

The "STORY" there is they moved to Meigs Co. before his junior year and he wanted to finish his HS years at McMinn (where it began)....His sister, on the other hand, was looking for the best deal. Meigs wasn't interested as it's more trouble than its worth so she enrolled in McMinn also. As McMinn has since found out, it wasn't worth the trouble. WV will probably find the same thing out this year.

The "STORY" there is they moved to Meigs Co. before his junior year and he wanted to finish his HS years at McMinn (where it began)....His sister, on the other hand, was looking for the best deal. Meigs wasn't interested as it's more trouble than its worth so she enrolled in McMinn also. As McMinn has since found out, it wasn't worth the trouble. WV will probably find the same thing out this year.

Thanx JBN. Everytime they show his picture during a game, it had Decatur next to hometown.

So, I gather that they aren't heartbroken she left?