Brentwood vs. Franklin

kickgrass

I know we are all looking forward to more obnoxious behavior from the Bruin folks. Can't wait!

Obnoxious fan behavior in our district is not limited to Brentwood. There are times when you are on the road that it seems like it is a district birthright. Last year in the district tournament my daughter was knocked out, on a clean play, and the students from the opposing school cheered and yelled for a body bag while she lay on the field. The fans are the fans but most of the obnoxious behavior is from the students and the administrators from the schools do try to keep it under control. I believe that quite a few people can relate to some degree from their high school days!

However the Brentwood bus driver, Tony Anthony, is not an obnoxious fan. Tony has driven for both of the BHS soccer teams for many years. Tony is a highly educated person who has retired from a successful career. There is no question that he is a supporter of the teams but the only thing he ever does is blow the horn from the bus. Tony is the type of man that as a parent you hope is driving your son or daughter around the state during the season. Over the past four years I have felt very fortunate, as have all of the BHS parents, to have him looking after my daughter when the team was on the road.

As for last evening Tony does not drive to games that are played on the home field!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obnoxious fan behavior in our district is not limited to Brentwood. There are times when you are on the road that it seems like it is a district birthright. Last year in the district tournament my daughter was knocked out, on a clean play, and the students from the opposing school cheered and yelled for a body bag while she lay on the field. The fans are the fans but most of the obnoxious behavior is from the students and the administrators from the schools do try to keep it under control. I believe that quite a few people can relate to some degree from their high school days!

However the Brentwood bus driver, Tony Anthony, is not an obnoxious fan. Tony has driven for both of the BHS soccer teams for many years. Tony is a highly educated person who has retired from a successful career. There is no question that he is a supporter of the teams but the only thing he ever does is blow the horn from the bus. Tony is the type of man that as a parent you hope is driving your son or daughter around the state during the season. Over the past four years I have felt very fortunate, as have all of the BHS parents, to have him looking after my daughter when the team was on the road.

As for last evening Tony does not drive to games that are played on the home field!

True enough about the obnoxious fan behavior. Mr. Anthony may be a wonderful person, but if you are from an opposing school and you have a tough home loss, someone blowing the school bus horn may seem cute and within school spirit to you, but I can guarantee you from the other side it is like rubbing salt in the wound. I've witnessed it a couple of times and what may be a celebratory action to you is an "in your face" action to the opposing team. The horn blowing is well know around Middle TN and very much unappreciated. It's tough enough for the kids, and adults for that matter, to accept a loss without a bus driver rubbing it in your face.

True enough about the obnoxious fan behavior. Mr. Anthony may be a wonderful person, but if you are from an opposing school and you have a tough home loss, someone blowing the school bus horn may seem cute and within school spirit to you, but I can guarantee you from the other side it is like rubbing salt in the wound. I've witnessed it a couple of times and what may be a celebratory action to you is an "in your face" action to the opposing team. The horn blowing is well know around Middle TN and very much unappreciated. It's tough enough for the kids, and adults for that matter, to accept a loss without a bus driver rubbing it in your face.

I suppose it is a matter of perspective. Last evening all of the players from Franklin got in a circle and jumped up and down in the middle of the Brentwood field and cheered after the game. Then they also blew the horn on the bus a few times as they exited the parking lot. The difference was that I just thought it was a team celebrating a big win I did not think they were rubbing it in Brentwood's face. But everyone is intitled to their opinion!

"Sooner" you are my new hero!!! If you haven't figured it out yet I'll fill you in on a little secret. Whatever Flash says is gospel. He's "in the know". If you don't believe me just ask him. Good luck to Franklin, Ravenwood and all the sectional qualifiers. Stay healthy and play up to your abilities.

While Flash and I disagree on a fair amount of things, this does not mean that I can show him, or any other person that disagrees with me, no respect. Say what you want with class, or don't post it. I'm also not trying to fight Flash's fight, either (I think he can handle himself) but making a point across the boards.

So, let's move on...

I suppose it is a matter of perspective. Last evening all of the players from Franklin got in a circle and jumped up and down in the middle of the Brentwood field and cheered after the game. Then they also blew the horn on the bus a few times as they exited the parking lot. The difference was that I just thought it was a team celebrating a big win I did not think they were rubbing it in Brentwood's face. But everyone is intitled to their opinion!

Players cheering on the field after a big win is the norm. Always has been. Franklin blowing the school bus horn was nothing more than giving your school a taste of its own medicine. I'm sure they enjoyed it immensely. As far as this issue being a matter of opinion, this topic comes up each year in all the forums. The only people who have defended the action so far are those responsible for allowing it to take place.

Players cheering on the field after a big win is the norm. Always has been. Franklin blowing the school bus horn was nothing more than giving your school a taste of its own medicine. I'm sure they enjoyed it immensely. As far as this issue being a matter of opinion, this topic comes up each year in all the forums. The only people who have defended the action so far are those responsible for allowing it to take place.

I have been on coach T since 2002 and had a child play on the BHS girls varsity for four years. Further, we have played travel with players from RHS, CHS and FHS for years and I have known several of the parents from those schools since Y ball. This is honestly the first time I have read or been made aware of the horn blowing rub your face in it issue. Since the BHS girls have not beaten Centennial on their home field in a few years I am not quite sure when our last offence occurred! I will admit that I do not follow the boards for the boys as closely but I have tried to read the Brentwood posts because my daughter dated one of the players over the past two seasons. Who would have thought that blowing a bus horn after a victory would offend the sensibilities of so many!

Simple enough solution to your problem. Don't lose to them.

Same as previous solution.

I have been on coach T since 2002 and had a child play on the BHS girls varsity for four years. Further, we have played travel with players from RHS, CHS and FHS for years and I have known several of the parents from those schools since Y ball. This is honestly the first time I have read or been made aware of the horn blowing rub your face in it issue. Since the BHS girls have not beaten Centennial on their home field in a few years I am not quite sure when our last offence occurred! I will admit that I do not follow the boards for the boys as closely but I have tried to read the Brentwood posts because my daughter dated one of the players over the past two seasons. Who would have thought that blowing a bus horn after a victory would offend the sensibilities of so many!

I'll end my part of this exchange by asking you to see post #10 with the BHS fan promising plenty of horn blowing this spring(softball I assume). Obviously the FHS fan, just like all of us, has a problem with it and the BHS fan could care less. For what it's worth I first heard the horn blow 3 or 4 years ago just after a game ended. I didn't have a clue why the horn was being blown but it was quickly explained to me. I can't say here where it was recommended that horn end up! But as you say, maybe BHS oppenents should lighten up. Or better yet, win and not have to deal with it. I'll be listening for the horn this spring. With the BHS girls softball being so strong I assume the horn will need to be replaced by the end of the season.

I'll end my part of this exchange by asking you to see post #10 with the BHS fan promising plenty of horn blowing this spring(softball I assume). Obviously the FHS fan, just like all of us, has a problem with it and the BHS fan could care less. For what it's worth I first heard the horn blow 3 or 4 years ago just after a game ended. I didn't have a clue why the horn was being blown but it was quickly explained to me. I can't say here where it was recommended that horn end up! But as you say, maybe BHS oppenents should lighten up. Or better yet, win and not have to deal with it. I'll be listening for the horn this spring. With the BHS girls softball being so strong I assume the horn will need to be replaced by the end of the season.

IF they want to blow the horn, who cares, its not meant to be ugly or mean spirited. Just having fun in my opinion. I wouldnt take it as a bad sportsmanship. If franklin bus blew the horn after there win and finally got some good hearted "revenge" on the horn blowing, who cares, good for them. Brentwood blows the horn when they win. Big deal. Kinda funny actually if you just relax for a second and not get so bent out of shape. Its high school athletics and its all in good fun. Im sure the bus drivers are awesome people and just having some fun after a victory. I wish my school had a few more opportunities to blow the horn. Thats the only thing im mad about. No horn blowing opportunities. Where is the love.

IF they want to blow the horn, who cares, its not meant to be ugly or mean spirited. Just having fun in my opinion. I wouldnt take it as a bad sportsmanship. If franklin bus blew the horn after there win and finally got some good hearted "revenge" on the horn blowing, who cares, good for them. Brentwood blows the horn when they win. Big deal. Kinda funny actually if you just relax for a second and not get so bent out of shape. Its high school athletics and its all in good fun. Im sure the bus drivers are awesome people and just having some fun after a victory. I wish my school had a few more opportunities to blow the horn. Thats the only thing im mad about. No horn blowing opportunities. Where is the love? If fact, now when you lose, you gotta think to yourself that how your now also going to have to listen to the horn blow. Little extra pain. Thats great. Its funny. Go bus drivers.