Courtney Coffey

Bluewhirlygig

Steelerwhit, surely you realize that a lot of people get on this board just to stir up passionate discussions and to try to get a rise out of posters.

That being said, Steelerwhit, "you doth protest too much, methinks" (To quote from Shakespeare's Hamlet) because I saw and heard JPII's head coach (the husky one) tell his kids "not to shake their hands" several times when a JP II wrestler had lost to a Father Ryan wrestler during last year's state tournament.

So, as much as it hurts me to have to admit it, the gig is right about that particular point.

Yes, I realize that there is always some gas for the fire, but when someone makes a false statement, I have to correct them. You to are mistaken. (By the way, I am pretty "husky" and bigger than coach Cook) Even in defeat, WE always make our guys shake hands, always. I sit in the chair beside him and he has NEVER told any of our guys not to shake hands. Hey, I love this, and I am not angry. Everyone can talk as much trash as they want, it fires me up. We may not be the best coaches out there, but we do know the sport and teach our guys to be gentlemen and good sports. That in itself is not easy, esp. in a hard fought battle. Again, you are wrong about this one.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you guys. He has beaten the best in the state with the skills he has chosen to use. :

He never wrestled the best because he didn't face 2 X 215 State Champ Nick Reveiz last year. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if he is planning on going to the Senior Nationals? :lol:

Looks like I will see more JP2 this year, I think they do a great job with a young program.

Thanks Walkenvol -- undoubtedly, no one is better qualified to monitor and identify "DICBHPTIS" that you as you are an expert in the area. I am honored to have one of my entries selected and I promise to provide many more "DICBHPTIS" in the future because I always call 'em like I see 'em.

You’re most welcome and no doubt you can put your prep school education to good use entertaining the CoachT masses with additional "DICBHPTIS" this season.

BWG's logic of this whole thread is above me. Steelerwhit is below decent as a coach because his 215 lb 2 time state champ doesn’t wrestle like a light weight wrestler, instead following time tested heavy weight techniques to great success? I recall Courtney’s first championship in 2005 as a sophomore, a 13-6 win against the big blue’s senior Nick (Hawaiian Punch) Moore. Nick was/is an outstanding athlete in his own right, about 6’-3” and 230 lbs (and a heck of a nice young man) who cut down to 215. I believe he set the McCallie bench press record that same year – he was/is a very stout young man who was not overpowered by any 215 lb wrestler in the country. Nick’s technique (obviously not quite as good as Courtney’s that day) was also that of a heavier athlete, which again makes sense to my simple mind. But following your logic, then your coaches are lousy for not teaching Nick to wrestle the same techniques as a Cody Cleveland? BWG also claims that the JPG coaches "tell their wrestler to not shake hands” yet anyone familiar with the rules knows that 6-5-2 makes shaking hands part of the official match process and any wrestler refusing to do so would be disqualified regardless of the score. My public school education fails me again.

Edited by walkenvol

Oh dont start the Reviez argument again....1-2 at Senior Nationals???? (Anyone remember my prediction to Master Blaster?). Coffey could win at least 2 matches. With or without his coach.

Reviez......overated

Coffey.....undercoached

You have to show up at Nationals to have a record! There are lots of kids wrestling in College that had the same record in the nationsls.

Courtney had a chance to show us what he had last year. He didn't go. Will he this year?

Yeah Reveiz undefeated and 2 X state champ overrated. ;)

It just a match I would have loved to seen. Not saying who would win, just a great match that could have been.

No need to trash a good young man who was a great team leader, Stovepipe.

I saw him go from a 1st year wrestler his Soph year who lost his first few matches and was wondering if he should stick to it.

To a STATE Champ his JR year.

That's not overrated thats remarkble. ;)

Go bash Girl Vollyball and ND! That seams to be your talent!

Edited by rigger101

You have to show up at Nationals to have a record! There are lots of kids wrestling in College that had the same record in the nationsls.

Courtney had a chance to show us what he had last year. He didn't go. Will he this year?

Yeah Reveiz undefeated and 2 X state champ overrated. :P

It just a match I would have loved to seen. Not saying who would win, just a great match that could have been.

No need to trash a good young man who was a great team leader, Stovepipe.

I saw him go from a 1st year wrestler his Soph year who lost his first few matches and was wondering if he should stick to it.

To a STATE Champ his JR year.

That's not overrated thats remarkble. B)

Go bash Girl Vollyball and ND! That seams to be your talent!

Yeah come on Sissypipe, lay off Reveiz, and get back on the Irish.

You can kill two birds with one stone and talk about the LADY IRISH Volleyball team, who just happen to be ranked #1 in the State, but beware, they don't play as nice as I do, and would hunt your lame a** down and whup ya.

Go Irish

Girls Soccer

Girls Volleyball

and of course Rasslin

bcb

Why don't you speak a little latin to us Stove top Stuffing

• 3 months later...

You don't have a clue as to what it takes to coach Courtney. Yes, God gave him strength and quickness. He knows a lot more than he shows, he does what works for him as many great champions have done. He also plays 3 sports, so he does not wrestle year round like some guys. Nic Bundy is a great talent and a great kid, he lives, eats, and breathes wrestling, Courtney does not. It would be foolish and impossible for me to try and make Courtney into a wrestler like Nic Bundy. (just using Nic as an example). Why would I tell Courtney to throw legs in or do something that he does not have to do? Why put him in a spot that will give his opposition an opportunity to roll him or anything crazy like that. * As good as Bundy was his Jr. year, he got caught and he lost. Again, just using Nic as an example. My point here is that Courtney is a great athlete, but he knows more wrestling than you think. He just does what he has to do, nothing flashy, no grambys or anything like that. How do I know, my name is Billy Whitaker, one of those terrible coaches you are talking about. So, I take offense at your statements. No, I am not Pat Simpson or Gordon Connell (they were coaching when I was wretling 20 years ago), but I have been around wrestling for quite a while and have used myself and taught just about every move out there. So, for you to come on here and bash me shows very little class. Who are you???

i agree wit u courtny does what he wants cause it s wat he wins wit...so yall need to stop sayin he a bad wrestler and the only reason he wins is cause of his speed and strenght..he sticks to basics and doesnt do all that fansy crap like yall people who say ur the best there is......by the way this is courtny's BROTHER ok so shut up and just accept the fact that hes the best wrestler in TN and he also beat the 215 from flordia...there top 215 so i would shut up if i were yall people.....go COACH WHITAKER