top 152's in the state

wrestlerbk160

What were the outcomes? I heard from the B-Bear that Felix also lost to Wright during the summer. Is that correct,,, and if so, what was the margin of victory?

Lets see the outcomes were victories for D. Johnson, C. Reynolds, B. Wright, and J. Young I believe. The only one I am not sure about is the Young / Williams match (for some reason my mind is a bit cloudy on it). It was an absolutely brutal match!

I can't comment on a Felix / Wright match having taken place over the summer because I do not remember one. That is certainly not to say it did not happen. I would think the most likely place would have been the state freestyle tournament but I did not see many of the matches at that weight as I was trying to care for an injured wrestler. I do remember Kelly Felix and Josh Baucke having a couple of really good matches at the state tournament that all resulted in victories for Felix. I just don't remember much else from that weight class.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a related side-note there was a Waddell / Wright match-up at the TWF Best of the Best event this year. Close match with Wright coming out on top (yes this was freestyle and not folkstyle). To all wrestling fans, if this event comes to your area you should go, it ends up being some fantastic match-ups and the closest thing to an All-Star event that you will see. Some of the other interesting matches that I remember were Demetrius Johnson / Hunter Randolph, Chris Reynolds / Mikey Fuller, and Darius (DeDe) Williams / Jake Young. Thats just a couple (all from the West vs South dual) and there were plenty of others. It rotates year to year and this year should be in either Chatt or Nashville.

Do you recall who won the Johnson / Randolph match ...? :thumb:

The most recent match between the Kelly and Brandon was freestyle which Brandon won. My vote is that Brandon is the best Senior in the State of TN having beaten Waddell, Spain, Williams, and Felix. Granted that some of those matches were freestyle.

I remember that, but Brandon is a neutral wrestler which gives him an obvious advantage in freestyle that will be greatly reduced if they meet in a folkstyle match. This match could also depend on what kind of shape Felix is in after jumping up in weight. I'm sure he will be in good shape, but if Brandon can stay at 152, that's to his advantage. It will be interesting to see what weights those two and Creagan (145, 152, and 160 state champs) will end up wrestling. Wright could end up at 160, so it's hard to make predictions before preseason. Also, although Brandon had a dominating year last year, you have to keep in mind that Felix is now a two-time defending state champ with a runner-up his freshman year, while Brandon only has one state title and a 3rd place finish his sophomore year. It reminds me of the build up for the 119 final in 2003 between the experienced technician and 2-time state champ, Shawn Cordell, and the rapidly improving takedown artist fresh off his first state title, Kyle James. That was one of the most anticipated matches that I have ever been around, and the Felix-Wright match could turn out to be right up there with it.

Look for a early possible matchup between, Wright and Felix, before state on January 6 in Nashville in the Father Ryan Gym. Both Houston and Franklin have been apart of this tournament for the past few years. After talking to Wright after his state finals match i got the impression that he didn't, as he put it "open up", aganist Spain in the finals. He had worked hard to get to the finals and did not want to do anything to give Spain an advantage. Remebering the finals match, Wright only shot twice on Spain, both times taking him down. I believe that after the second takedown Spain was turned, and Wright recieved back points. Felix and Wright would be worth any admission priced on the match. My prediction would be a low scoring first period, with both wrestlers feeling each other out, but look for Wright to be the victor after securing a couple takedowns.

Wright was most dominant all season last year, but he did not dominate, at least in my estimation, in the state finals last season. This TD expert certainly would have made the finals at 145 last season, but the gold would have likely escaped him judging the way he and Ben Scott were so evenly matched and what Felix ended up doing to this common opponent.

Where's Soddy's kid (Toney?) going? He gave Felix a decent match in the semi's and finished strong for third..

I suppose Felix and Waddell would be a good match and I really couldn't say who would win that match. I really would like to see a felix - creagan match-up.

soms

We may get to see a Wright -Cregan match at the bradley tourney at 160, or possibly a Wright- Spain rematch. Either one should be great to watch.

We may get to see a Wright -Cregan match at the bradley tourney at 160, or possibly a Wright- Spain rematch. Either one should be great to watch.

Some of you know him He is from Greenbrier Zach Kennedy. He would have been 152 this year. He worked real hard in the off season. He wrestled for some of the best coaches in the state this summer and was ready to make some noise this season. However he injured his knee and separated his shoulder so he will not be wrestling this season. I know we in region 8 will miss him deeply. I still think he will be around the gyms cheering on his teammates. He touches everyone who works with him because he is always smiling and always working hard. He is a coaches dream. Hope both of the surgeries go well for you and come by and see us soon.

I would greatly enjoy a Creagan-Wright matchup. The clashing of the two different styles would interest me. If Wright comes away with a solid win over Creagan he will be arugably the most dominate wrestler in the state. If Creagan pulls out a victory it will once again reassure everyone of the respect he deserves. Depending on their previous weights prior to the Bradley Invite, I may want to make some room in my schedule to make the trip. Anyone have the date the finals will be held on?