New to wrestling

jeremy8529

I would say benching is not that important...Yes it helps but the best thing is having strong hips and legs. SO squat a lot and do a lot of explosive movements with your legs. You will be amazed at how you will increase speed for football by having stong legs, that help so much in wrestling. YEA i do say conditioning is no fun, but its worth it. And I like you play football, and wrestle, and it helps so much with body control and a lot of the technique is the same. It just makes you an all around better athlete.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a hard practice by your guys standards? I don't recon the conditioning will hurt us to badly but.... who knows. Our coach is very talanted... one of the best from what I understand. We should start wrestling soon, hopefuly before to long. We learn moves everday, and get to practice them.

The coach is having me to do 20 push-up every 15 minutes at home to get me stronger. :(

Edited by jeremy8529

Is that a hard practice by your guys standards? I don't recon the conditioning will hurt us to badly but.... who knows. Our coach is very talanted... one of the best from what I understand. We should start wrestling soon, hopefuly before to long. We learn moves everday, and get to practice them.

The coach is having me to do 20 push-up every 15 minutes at home to get me stronger. :justwrestle:

Do away with chairs and begin now using the wall thus building the all important thighs. Also, begin doing stationary leg lifts. If you start with 30 seconds and get up to 5 minutes (with no breaks) ASAP, and within one month gradually get yourself up to 20 minutes; your abs will become a great asset on the mat.

our football team conditioning is about the same because our fball conditioning coach is also our wrestling team conditioning coach. The drills are a little hard now coming out of the offseason and not conditioning as much but things will get easier and having a match in 6 days im in the best shape for it. So keep at it man it will help you in the long run. By the way were do you go to school, what grade, and what weight class?

our football team conditioning is about the same because our fball conditioning coach is also our wrestling team conditioning coach. The drills are a little hard now coming out of the offseason and not conditioning as much but things will get easier and having a match in 6 days im in the best shape for it. So keep at it man it will help you in the long run. By the way were do you go to school, what grade, and what weight class?

Centrle High School

Freshmen

I weight 207

I am new to wrestling, I played football for the Centrle Chargers my Freshmen Year, (this season that just ended). The season didn't go to well for us, but we got better every game and I am being seriouse, we had 28 freshmen/sophmore and 7 upperclass men. Any ways, back on topic, now the coaches are wanting me to wrestle to get better at o/d line. Right now I weight 206 and bench 180. I just decided that I would introduce myself.

Do you guys have pointers for someone who never wresteled in their life before?

Any comments?

n yes be ready to work harder than you ever worked in football, and to work smarter. And be ready to do a lot of sitting and waiting for your turn. You will probably end up quitting football!

McMinn Centrle, I figured most of everyone here would be from TN, since this is the coach T forums, but I guese not. No, I don't think I will end up quitting football, there is a certain addrinelen rush playing line agasint someone and watching your runningback run right past you for a massive gain. (While you are Offensive) hehehe.

Thus far wresteling has yet to give me that... yet. I wil give it time since I am new at it. Tommorow though I must pee in a cup to get hydration tested. :thumb:

Remember that wrestling is made up of three things:

1. Position (try to do every move you are taught the exactly the same as your coach teaches you everytime you drill it. Soon these moves will become second nature. Drill a move at least 1000 times before using it in a match.)

2.Conditioning (if you are in better shape than your oponent you will be more likely to win. Push yourself until you feel like you cant do anymore and then do more during every practice. Being in shape and knowing what position to be in will put you in very good shape to win.)

3. Attitude (you have to know you will win if you wrestle your best before you can win. Be confident in your skill but not cocky. Believing in yourself makes winning possible.)

Stick with it! I didnt win a match my first year but by my senior year I was 2nd in my region. Its going to take hard work but you seem eager to learn. Just push yourself and you will surprise yourself how quickly you pick it up.

McMinn Centrle, I figured most of everyone here would be from TN, since this is the coach T forums, but I guese not. No, I don't think I will end up quitting football, there is a certain addrinelen rush playing line agasint someone and watching your runningback run right past you for a massive gain. (While you are Offensive) hehehe.

Thus far wresteling has yet to give me that... yet. I wil give it time since I am new at it. Tommorow though I must pee in a cup to get hydration tested. :thumb:

Well lets see there is McMinn Central, Chattanooga Central, Knox Central, sometimes it pays to be a little clearer and possibly spell check.